Do Europeans and Asians think our market is insignificant?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Once upon a time the good ole USA market dominated the world. We don't dominate anymore. Nothing we make is desired much by anyone else in the world but us. Here in this country we argue in this forum about wheather BD or HD-DVD is the better format - or is winning in sales (standalone or discs) and which has a brighter future. While in the rest of the world their choice has pretty much been made.

While HD-DVD has traction in Europe its traction is slowing eroding. BD has not only caught up but in several countries it has outpaced HD-DVD sales 7 to 1. In Asia most countries HD-DVD sales do not even break the 10% of total high def market sales.

Only in North America are we caught up with a format war that was forced upon us by two Japanese companies and a few movie studios. Smart guys Warner has chosen the middle of the road and they continue to stay on their direction. They are currently getting the lions share in sales in both formats and do not see a reason to change.

Yet we still get the every other day WARNER IS CHOSING BD or WARNER IS GOING HD-DVD stories. And of course Warner jumps up and debunks them just as quick as they show up. And we still debate these stories like they have legs-- most do not.

So maybe those folks in Europe and Asia do think that we are a little crazy. They have voted with their dollars and the destiny for HD-DVD and BD seem to be done in those parts of the world. However, in a country where our president declared the end to a war that had not started yet -- we continue to debate non-stories about a format war that is neither over nor close to the finish line. \

So as the New Year approches -- Viva la competition!! GO BLU!!!:flag:mad:party:hatsoff:

The new year approaches -- just doing my bit as a Blu Patriot!:)

Oh Yeah, and HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!:welcome@party

Just history repeating itself

TellzAll

from the article :
he Sony Corporation developed Betamax, naming the video system after the Greek letter "beta" and adding the word max, which implied "greatness." Betamax tapes, cameras, and players became instantly successful. People throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia purchased Betamax systems, making Betamax the most popular form of video recording in the world during the late 1970s

a format war that was forced upon us by two Japanese companied

Actually it was forced on us by Sony and the studios they sold a bill of goods to in exchange for exclusive support. Had Sony adopted the approved successor to DVD: HD-DVD, none of this would have happened.

Instead, Sony, like always, wants their own proprietary format. You'd think they had learned their lesson with Beta, SACD, etc.

Whoever wins the battle of formats in the US, will be the winner of the so-called war. It doesn't matter much what the rest of the world does or how they 'voted with their dollars'.

I like both formats fine, but Blu Ray owners seem way more dillusional to me than HD DVD owners. Buncha Sony fan boys.

Whoever wins the battle of formats in the US, will be the winner of the so-called war. It doesn't matter much what the rest of the world does or how they 'voted with their dollars'.

I like both formats fine, but Blu Ray owners seem way more dillusional to me than HD DVD owners. Buncha Sony fan boys.
Oh come on, you sound in that last sentence, to be the same as those you are talking about. Have you read any of Vurbs posts????:p

Obviously he has read yours and Joey's and chicago's
Vurb, where have I EVER said I was pro BD(as in Fanboy) and anti HD-DVD??? I have repeatedly said I like both, you just read it how you want. My posts simply point out the good on one or the other depending on what thread I am in and what the subject of said thread is, I cant help how you take it.

Your comments on the other hand, you leave no doubt about which format you support. Nothing wrong with that, just asking him if he had read any of your yet.

I have, and did. YOU made it sound otherwise which is not true. Prove me wrong
OK

What position? Neutrality?

In case you missed, I said there may be problems I am unaware of. Although from what I read, for most people that will buy this model (if I have the right one) anything it "lacks" would not be an issue for their needs. They just want to play BD would be my guess.

Arent there a few HD-DVD palyers that wont output 1080p? I know my add on wont (because my 360 does not have HDMI), that would be a feature that someone with a 1080p set might miss, so it goes both ways doesnt it?
I guess you really are that uninformed. And it is your uninformed responses that make you come off sounding to me like a smurf. Sorry I will try to overlook that from now on. As for your misunderstanding of HD DVD, I really am getting tired of explaining this to newbies but here goes. There are two main types of HDTV owners. Those that do not own a 1080p set and those that do. And the only group that it makes a difference for is the 1080p owners whose sets cannot perform inverse telecine correctly (thats a 3rd dumbass group I left out) which is a DEFECT in their equipment. All HD DVD standalone players can output either 1080p or 1080i at 60 fps which is ALL of the picture information necessary to construct a 1080p picture through inverse telecine. That is exactly why the picture on my 1080p set is identical whether it is BD from my PS3 or HD DVD from my HD -A1.

Last edited:
Vurb, how in your universe does that make me pro one format over the other????
As I said, you seem to read what you want into a comment
You do not seem to read comments at all because the answers to your questions are contained above. SHould I go back and highlight them for you? :rolleyes:

You do not seem to read comments at all because the answers to your questions are contained above. SHould I go back and highlight them for you? :rolleyes:
You did go back and highlight. However NOTHING that you put in red proves how I am biased to one format or the other as you think. You are reaching Vurb

Once upon a time the good ole USA market dominated the world. We don't dominate anymore. Nothing we make is desired much by anyone else in the world but us. Here in this country we argue in this forum about wheather BD or HD-DVD is the better format - or is winning in sales (standalone or discs) and which has a brighter future. While in the rest of the world their choice has pretty much been made.

While HD-DVD has traction in Europe its traction is slowing eroding. BD has not only caught up but in several countries it has outpaced HD-DVD sales 7 to 1. In Asia most countries HD-DVD sales do not even break the 10% of total high def market sales.

Only in North America are we caught up with a format war that was forced upon us by two Japanese companies and a few movie studios. Smart guys Warner has chosen the middle of the road and they continue to stay on their direction. They are currently getting the lions share in sales in both formats and do not see a reason to change.

Yet we still get the every other day WARNER IS CHOSING BD or WARNER IS GOING HD-DVD stories. And of course Warner jumps up and debunks them just as quick as they show up. And we still debate these stories like they have legs-- most do not.

So maybe those folks in Europe and Asia do think that we are a little crazy. They have voted with their dollars and the destiny for HD-DVD and BD seem to be done in those parts of the world. However, in a country where our president declared the end to a war that had not started yet -- we continue to debate non-stories about a format war that is neither over nor close to the finish line. \

So as the New Year approches -- Viva la competition!! GO BLU!!!:flag:mad:party:hatsoff:

Nice, Warner holds the key of the victory for BD, but at the same time they hold the key to a new era that will have 2 formats instead of 1, aka VHS/DVD.
The time may be close, maybe CES?
I have a great feeling about this years CES...

You did go back and highlight. However NOTHING that you put in red proves how I am biased to one format or the other as you think. You are reaching Vurb
Read it a 100 times and come back. It may take that many reads to get the point through that thick head of yours.

it is your uninformed responses that make you come off sounding to me like a smurf. Sorry I will try to overlook that from now on.

What part of that are you having problems with? Please tell me you are not that hopeless so I do not have to ignore you.

Nevermind.......... click. Run along now, surely you have some wood to whittle or something

Read it a 100 times and come back. It may take that many reads to get the point through that thick head of yours.

What part of that are you having problems with? Please tell me you are not that hopeless so I do not have to ignore you.

Nevermind.......... click. Run along now, surely you have some wood to whittle or something
Vurb, if you are incapable of having an intelligent conversation without trying to get personal, then yes please just click ignore. You have proven nothing. You gave your opinion, to which you are entitled, that you think I am a "smurf" with nothing to back up why you think that other than some off the wall quote that states that you think my responses are uninformed. I guess to you that is enough. I am happy for you, may every thing in your life be that simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)