Does Anyone at Dish Know What's Going On?

gswetsky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Florida's Gulf Coast, Y'all
I have an ethernet connection to my 622 receiver. My ethernet connects 24/7 to broadband. I even have a battery backup and can't recall the last time my ethernet was down.

Three times so far I've turned my set on and a message has come up telling me that in order to avoid a supplemental fee, I must maintain a permanent phone line connection OR an ethernet connection to the receiver. According to Dish, I am not being charged that fee.

Tonight I was told by Dish technical support that I MUST maintain a phone line connection to the receiver irregardless of whether I have an ethernet line.

Does ANYONE at Dish know the truth? One person tells me one thing and then another tells me something else. DirectTV has GOT to be better than this. At least they have Speed in high def!

Gerry

The customer service at most companys leaves much to be desired. This is true at Dish for sure. If you aren't being charged the fee (I assume that you have verified this online) then don't worry about it. I also have no phone line and have my receivers hooked up via ethernet. I have seen the popup a couple of times over the past year, but have never been charged the fee.

Don't worry about it. You should look on the dish web site and refer to it if you ever get charged, it says that an ethernet connection is one option.

You can do a manual check once in a while to make sure the IP settings didn't get lost from the receiver.

I have an ethernet connection to my 622 receiver. My ethernet connects 24/7 to broadband. I even have a battery backup and can't recall the last time my ethernet was down.

Three times so far I've turned my set on and a message has come up telling me that in order to avoid a supplemental fee, I must maintain a permanent phone line connection OR an ethernet connection to the receiver. According to Dish, I am not being charged that fee.

Tonight I was told by Dish technical support that I MUST maintain a phone line connection to the receiver irregardless of whether I have an ethernet line.

Does ANYONE at Dish know the truth? One person tells me one thing and then another tells me something else. DirectTV has GOT to be better than this. At least they have Speed in high def!

Gerry

You have to go to Menu, 6,1, Broadband setup, then Network setup. Make sure you have an IP address and the Connection status is "Connected Online". If it isn't online, try the "Reset Connection".

Hopefully this will solve your issue.

Your router will occasionally re-assign IP address to attached devices. More than likely this is happening and the receiver is not receiving it's new IP address right away, so it thinks there is no connection, temporarily.

Dish checks your connection when the receiver does it's download (3am by default), so as long as it is connected then, you shouldn't see a charge.

Well, the IP of the 622 generally stays at 101 and I have a static IP from bellsouth, so if Dish has trouble locating me, it's not my fault.

My complaint was more about the folks at Dish knowing company policy.

Thanks folks,
Gerry

Well, the IP of the 622 generally stays at 101 and I have a static IP from bellsouth, so if Dish has trouble locating me, it's not my fault.

My complaint was more about the folks at Dish knowing company policy.

Thanks folks,
Gerry

Well thats gonna happen pretty much with any large company.

I've had my 722 with ethernet for about a year and have had zero problems.I would guess it has something to do with your ip address being static or dynamic.

My 622 is connected only to a phone line and I occasionally get that message. I just ignore it and chalk it up to another "ghost in the machine". But my phone line is far from perfect so I suppose there could be brief phone line outages or other anomalies causing the problem and I really don't know the source. If the 622 and/or phone connection aren't quite rock solid my monthly bill is, so I know I'm not getting charged randomly for a non-connection...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)