Does using the D* abbrevation bother you?

Does it bother you for people to type D* instead of DirecTV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Absolutely ridiculous. DTV means digital TV. DBStalk are a bunch of whiney a@@ babies. I will continue to use D* for Directv regardless of what those idiots want.

JUST TYPE it out instead of abbreviating. This isn't instant messaging/text messaging here. I hate all that abbreviating crap and I hate to instant message or text message when I can just pick up the phone to talk to someone live.

I capitalize both providers so there is no confusing the reader:
DISH and DIRECTV

I can't help but believe they were trying to get posters to spell it out so they could improve their standing with search engines. This wasn't for the benefit of people using the forums. Just another reason I stop by here more and more and the other site less and less.

I am not a fan of abbreviations or slang; I prefer things be called exactly what they are for simplicity and ease of comprehension and understanding, but this one ranks in the no big deal category.

Whatever. If people are bothered it, so be it, but they don't need to call out other posters that use it.

I have been involved with Satellite forums since the days of DBSDish.COM (Anyone remember that site?) An it has always been:
E* (Echostar)
P* (Primestar)
D* (DirecTV)

It has just become part of the Satellite Forum lexicon, and its really to late in the game to change it now. To try changing it this far in the game is just silly.

I have been involved with Satellite forums since the days of DBSDish.COM (Anyone remember that site?) An it has always been:
E* (Echostar)
P* (Primestar)
D* (DirecTV)

It has just become part of the Satellite Forum lexicon, and its really to late in the game to change it now. To try changing it this far in the game is just silly.
It sure is.

I don't use it myself. I just spell it out, but if others wish to abbreviate it I don't have a problem with it. It seems this is the age of shortcuts. Honestly, I can't see why anyone would care either way. I think some folks have too much time on their hands when they make a big deal about the small stuff. There's a lot more important things to worry about then things like this.

JUST TYPE it out instead of abbreviating. This isn't instant messaging/text messaging here. I hate all that abbreviating crap and I hate to instant message or text message when I can just pick up the phone to talk to someone live.

I capitalize both providers so there is no confusing the reader:
DISH and DIRECTV

I have no problem with the D* being Direct awhile back it was D* for Directv and E* for DISH.
Of late I use D* and DISH when speaking of them but E* would be easier.

However the DTV for D* is definatly not right as that is for Digital TV.

Jimbo

Started reading that thread on this over "there". Got two pages into it and just shook my head as I wandered into the "whatever happened to DBSForums" topic which I was interested in seeing as I was one of the original members way, way back but haven't been there in months. Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly the super mommie moderator chimed in as usual repeatedly warning everyone not to speculate. Nothing changes over there that's for sure. Only one opinion allowed. What an insignificant bunch.

to D*; or not to D*

or to D* or to E*, that is the question. :D :D

(I seriously don't care about the acronyms. We use lots of them. The only thing is it confuses newbies. i.e., "I have Dish Network, why on earth is it E*?" ;) But I agree with Scott, part of the lexicon. )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts