Don't know what to do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I never said that u said such a thing, I'm just letting you know that it is illegal by state law in my state and that DirecTV on the phone and in person including senior reps told me so I did research to confirm it.

Please point us to some reference to a pole mount being illegal in California.

My Dish is on a pole mount. (On the ground) There may be something about how it is anchored, perhaps size, depth of cement, not sure. But Illegal? That would come as a shock to hundreds of homes just in my area alone. I took a ride to the next complex from me and as I thought I remembered, a new (DISH) dish is installed on a pole by their terrace. They had Direct TV before and I happened to notice a DISH van there not three days ago.

I admit I can only think of two, but there are two on tripods in my area of Fl (Both Direct TV) on some very expensive homes that appears without it the signal would be blocked.

What I do agree with is that they won't allow anything on the roof. Even my own personal wind insurance will raise my rate if I have anything on the roof in Fl. I'm guessing the people with tripods aren't as concerned about the cost.

The OP should provide pics just to make sure someone here doesn't see a way to get a signal.

My Dish is on a pole mount. (On the ground) There may be something about how it is anchored, perhaps size, depth of cement, not sure. But Illegal? That would come as a shock to hundreds of homes just in my area alone. I took a ride to the next complex from me and as I thought I remembered, a new (DISH) dish is installed on a pole by their terrace. They had Direct TV before and I happened to notice a DISH van there not three days ago.

I admit I can only think of two, but there are two on tripods in my area of Fl (Both Direct TV) on some very expensive homes that appears without it the signal would be blocked.

What I do agree with is that they won't allow anything on the roof. Even my own personal wind insurance will raise my rate if I have anything on the roof in Fl. I'm guessing the people with tripods aren't as concerned about the cost.

The OP should provide pics just to make sure someone here doesn't see a way to get a signal.
I can understand not wanting dishes on the roofs, I always thought that was not a very good idea, but in some instances, thats the only way your gonna get LOS.
I prefer a pole anytime, this way I have easy access to the dish if needed (snow up here in winter).

I suggested photos in my first post .

Reactions: Tampa8
Hey sorry for a late update, but this is what happened a week went by and I didn't hear anything from Access Media 3 so I proceeded to call the guy I spoke to on the phone, the one who emailed me back. When doing so he told me that he emailed the property manager the day we spoke on the phone because he attempted to call him first, but he was in a meeting that day. He also told me after week that he never got any response back via phone or email, and that he wanted my help in getting an answer back from the property management and property manager himself. So I tried to do so by going directly to the property manager and speaking to him myself. But when I attempted to do so he kept making really ignorant excuses as to why they can't get a dish for the building(even if I was paying the full cost to get a multi dwelling unit) and was trying his hardest to sound technologically advanced, but by doing so he was only making a fool out of himself and for the building. I then proceeded to tell him that I'm very very technologically advanced and everything you're saying is completely wrong, and that I can get the company that installs it to come out and see everything and then tell you and show you free of charge that they can do it 100% fine with 100% no problems including no problems on the structure of the roof like you guys keep talking about. I feel as if every time they say something I have a valid answer for it and they always have something else to say rather than just directly saying no, but they're clearly implying no. So I don't think I'm going to be able to get the service, but I'm thinking of filing a lawsuit against DIRECTV because they only have a dish pointing one way and I think it's unfair for a lot of people that can't get service because their property/apartment that doesn't face DIRECTV's required direction or I may even sue my property management for monopoly TV service in the building, at least have a set up where you can choose between which service you want Comcast or DIRECTV via multi dwelling unit. Plus there's already people with DIRECTV dishes on there balconies in the building which I think dishes on balconies are ugly and they can clean up the building by giving a multi dwelling unit as well because it would take the dishes off the balconies but still gives them the same service as before.

well what I was told by DirecTV on the phone is that it is illegal due to weather conditions and not in every state it is illegal

I was told by DirecTV(regular reps, their managers, and even corporate office)on the phone and multiple installers in person including senior installers that it varies by state about tripods and mounts and in Florida it's illegal because of weather concerns like hurricanes. I was also told that in states where it's illegal they are not even allowed have tripod or mounts in their inventory and they are not even allowed to set it up if you buy a tripod or mount somewhere else and provided it for the installer yourself.

Hey sorry for a late update, but this is what happened a week went by and I didn't hear anything from Access Media 3 so I proceeded to call the guy I spoke to on the phone, the one who emailed me back. When doing so he told me that he emailed the property manager the day we spoke on the phone because he attempted to call him first, but he was in a meeting that day. He also told me after week that he never got any response back via phone or email, and that he wanted my help in getting an answer back from the property management and property manager himself. So I tried to do so by going directly to the property manager and speaking to him myself. But when I attempted to do so he kept making really ignorant excuses as to why they can't get a dish for the building(even if I was paying the full cost to get a multi dwelling unit) and was trying his hardest to sound technologically advanced, but by doing so he was only making a fool out of himself and for the building. I then proceeded to tell him that I'm very very technologically advanced and everything you're saying is completely wrong, and that I can get the company that installs it to come out and see everything and then tell you and show you free of charge that they can do it 100% fine with 100% no problems including no problems on the structure of the roof like you guys keep talking about. I feel as if every time they say something I have a valid answer for it and they always have something else to say rather than just directly saying no, but they're clearly implying no. So I don't think I'm going to be able to get the service, but I'm thinking of filing a lawsuit against DIRECTV because they only have a dish pointing one way and I think it's unfair for a lot of people that can't get service because their property/apartment that doesn't face DIRECTV's required direction or I may even sue my property management for monopoly TV service in the building, at least have a set up where you can choose between which service you want Comcast or DIRECTV via multi dwelling unit. Plus there's already people with DIRECTV dishes on there balconies in the building which I think dishes on balconies are ugly and they can clean up the building by giving a multi dwelling unit as well because it would take the dishes off the balconies but still gives them the same service as before.

It sounds to me like the property manager is getting a kickback from someone and doesn't want to lose it.

I'm thinking of filing a lawsuit against DIRECTV because they only have a dish pointing one way and I think it's unfair for a lot of people that can't get service because their property/apartment that doesn't face DIRECTV's required direction or I may even sue my property management for monopoly TV service in the building, at least have a set up where you can choose between which service you want Comcast or DIRECTV via multi dwelling unit. Plus there's already people with DIRECTV dishes on there balconies in the building which I think dishes on balconies are ugly and they can clean up the building by giving a multi dwelling unit as well because it would take the dishes off the balconies but still gives them the same service as before.

Seriously, you claim to have all this technical expertise and then you threaten to sue DirecTV because they don't have a satellite in orbit that is convenient to you?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: . Raine
Poppop
I can understand not wanting dishes on the roofs, I always thought that was not a very good idea, but in some instances, thats the only way your gonna get LOS.
I prefer a pole anytime, this way I have easy access to the dish if needed (snow up here in winter).

I suggested photos in my first post .
for Jimbo and everybody else that wanted to see photos, I uploaded a photo of the other building that looks identical to the building I'm in so you can see the roof and see what I'm talking about. I also uploaded a photo of the balcony so you can see my view witch is as east as can be with full ocean view of the Atlantic Ocean. The last picture is a photo of a panoramic view of the balcony and if you go from left to right scrolling you'll be able to see the whole picture and pretty much see the whole entire balcony

Attachments

• 20140928_093920.jpg
    20140928_093920.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20140928_093854.jpg
    20140928_093854.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20140928_093928.jpg
    20140928_093928.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20140928_101424.jpg
    20140928_101424.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I was told by DirecTV(regular reps, their managers, and even corporate office)on the phone and multiple installers in person including senior installers that it varies by state about tripods and mounts and in Florida it's illegal because of weather concerns like hurricanes. I was also told that in states where it's illegal they are not even allowed have tripod or mounts in their inventory and they are not even allowed to set it up if you buy a tripod or mount somewhere else and provided it for the installer yourself.

I doubt the law says that tripods themselves are illegal in Florida. There may be some wording that says a mount must meet certain strength requirements. From what I have read, Directv doesn't install tripods anymore. That doesn't mean they are illegal.

I doubt the law says that tripods themselves are illegal in Florida. There may be some wording that says a mount must meet certain strength requirements. From what I have read, Directv doesn't install tripods anymore. That doesn't mean they are illegal.
I understand completely what you're saying, but DirecTV on the phone said multiple times it's "illegal" in the state including corporate office after putting me on hold for about 5 minutes to find out if it is or not. This goes to the point that DirecTV cannot even install anything if it requires a tripod or a mount Because it's "illegal" in the state. They proceeded to tell me that in states where it is legal they do the installation no problem and even have it in their inventory

I don't doubt they said it, I doubt it's true.
I agree with you! But every time I complained about it I kept getting the same response from no matter who I spoke to that it is illegal in my state and I keep trying to tell them I don't think so, but they said its a state law due to weather concerns like hurricanes and how this law was passed 7 years ago

I did a brief look around and can't find anything that refers to tripod mounts in Florida being illegal.

I agree with you! But every time I complained about it I kept getting the same response from no matter who I spoke to that it is illegal in my state and I keep trying to tell them I don't think so, but they said its a state law due to weather concerns like hurricanes and how this law was passed 7 years ago

I get the impression OP is on the east coast not California as California is mostly O&O and also doesn't have views of the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately Florida is all Mastec and I can't speak for their policies but in every O&O market I have been to posts are legal and used (Mostly NW region). They are not used often in some places due to terrain but they do still have access to them. The only legal requirement is that we do a utility locate before digging. I have had a customer service agent tell me I was going to lose my job for installing a dish on a roof because we never do that and it is illegal. We all know that isn't true.

Maybe I missed it but what about a non penetrating roof mount? I know wind is a concern there especially on the beach but a properly installed and secured non pen mount is rated to 100 mph. Beyond that you would would be running into a tacoed dish before you lose the mount. (The taco is a real thing, I see this in a certain area of my market sometimes)

I did a brief look around and can't find anything that refers to tripod mounts in Florida being illegal.
Thanks! This is something I thought was not illegal in FL! But if every single person on the phone including corporate office tells me the same thing, and then when installers come out including senior installers one of the first things out of their mouth before they even get upstairs is they not do tripods or stands because of how it's illegal in FL for 7 years now what am I to do?

Thanks! This is something I thought was not not illegal in FL! But if every single person on the phone including corporate office tells me the same thing, and then when installers come out including senior installers one of the first things out of their mouth before they even get upstairs is they not do tripods or stands because of how it's illegal in FL for 7 years now what am I to do?

The tripod thing is correct. Maybe not by a legal standard but by a directv corporate policy.

I get the impression OP is on the east coast not California as California is mostly O&O and also doesn't have views of the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately Florida is all Mastec and I can't speak for their policies but in every O&O market I have been to posts are legal and used (Mostly NW region). They are not used often in some places due to terrain but they do still have access to them. The only legal requirement is that we do a utility locate before digging. I have had a customer service agent tell me I was going to lose my job for installing a dish on a roof because we never do that and it is illegal. We all know that isn't true.

Maybe I missed it but what about a non penetrating roof mount? I know wind is a concern there especially on the beach but a properly installed and secured non pen mount is rated to 100 mph. Beyond that you would would be running into a tacoed dish before you lose the mount. (The taco is a real thing, I see this in a certain area of my market sometimes)
I said that since the original post that I'm located in Florida as east as can be. Also, about the mount on the roof it won't be possible because sometimes there's hurricanes that go 100 MPH or faster and even sometimes rarely when it rains it can go a 100 MPH or faster. I don't know how they did it, but my last building also on the beach that opened in 06 had it built in as part of the construction plan and when there was big rains like I spoke of or hurricanes they never had an issue with the multi dwelling unit so there's ways that they can do it! and in that building they also let you choose between DIRECTV and Comcast from day one

Last edited:
I understand completely what you're saying, but DirecTV on the phone said multiple times it's "illegal" in the state including corporate office after putting me on hold for about 5 minutes to find out if it is or not. This goes to the point that DirecTV cannot even install anything if it requires a tripod or a mount Because it's "illegal" in the state. They proceeded to tell me that in states where it is legal they do the installation no problem and even have it in their inventory
The distinction here may come down to policy versus statute. Some consider any contract that you sign to be law. Of course if you signed a contract that says you won't do something, the law can step in and abate it.

Looking at the photo of the tower, this is certainly a situation where I would be afraid of using even a well-weighted non-penetrating mount. It would need to have safety chains for when was blown off the roof; something that I anticipate would be a near certainty.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts