Downgraded

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
For the first time ever I have downgraded to the Top 200. I was originally an Everything Pack customer and then when I went to the Hopper and fees got high I dropped to the Top 250. I finally made the decision to drop from that pack to the Top 200 now which made me feel kind of sad but I found that I'm not really missing much.

The biggest channels I was going to were the Encore channels and the outdoor channels. I made up for the Encore channels by subscribing to Netflix. I already have Amazon Instant Video but Netflix had some shows they didn't. So now I'm saving a $1 per month which means nothing but I do have a lot more to watch with Netflix.

I dropped from AT200 to 120. I already have Netflix and the only channels I will miss are BBCA (really only for Orphan Black) and occasionally TCM. My BB@H promo will expire in a couple of weeks, but I really watched little from it. HBO I will keep.

That is what I use (200), only because always have at least two HBO/Max type subs too, so I am not paying for stuff I do not watch.

As long as I have locals, ESPNs, FX, AMC, USA, TNT, etcc... type stuff, I am good. Plus I have two hoppers to pay for.

Dropping to 120 would have cut too many channels my wife watched, so I figured I might as well switch to OTA plus Sling.TV. Dish is currently paused as I see if my wife can live with it that way. If so, then I'll drop dish. The fees are what is making it untenable.

Reactions: burtburt69
Dropping to 120 would have cut too many channels my wife watched, so I figured I might as well switch to OTA plus Sling.TV. Dish is currently paused as I see if my wife can live with it that way. If so, then I'll drop dish. The fees are what is making it untenable.
Hard to imagine your wife's must have channels are all on SlingTv if not on 120.
EDIT: All SlingTV channels are on 120...so what's the point, if you still hold to your opening sentence?

Hard to imagine your wife's must have channels are all on SlingTv if not on 120.
EDIT: All SlingTV channels are on 120...so what's the point, if you still hold to your opening sentence?

TLC, and game show network, and fyi. FYI is on sling, no tlc, and GSN and FYI are not in 120. Personally I miss FX.

TLC, and game show network, and fyi. FYI is on sling, no tlc, and GSN and FYI are not in 120. Personally I miss FX.
Yeh, I see. For me, personally, I would lose a lot. Like you said, test drive it.

The Welcome Pack ($19.99/month) has TLC (SD only). For $6/month more, you could add The Heartland Package (which has GSN HD and SD along with other channels like OWN, Rural TV, Baby TV, RFD-TV, UP, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, Pixl, and Discovery Family). You could get Sling for FYI. I was unsure we could do it, but it is a nice enough little package (HD locals, FeTV/Cozi TV, Comedy Central, Food Network, HGTV, Pop, History, Oxygen, We, TBS, MTV 2, CMT, Boomerang, Discovery Family,TLC, Hallmark, Bloomberg, msnbc, Weather Channel, Weather Nation, INSP, etc. all in SD) to keep us with a little variety, and we added Blockbuster @ Home (HDNet Movies, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, Universal HD, Crime & Investigation HD, Centric HD, Logo HD, Encore Suspense, Starz Cinema, Palladia HD, MoviePlex, IndiePlex HD, RetroPlex HD, Epix 1 HD, Epix 2 HD, Epix 3 HD, FXM, MGM HD, Sony Movie Channel HD, Pixl HD, and World Fishing Network)for $10/month more to add some more variety to the mix. We actually had Encore Movie Pack and Heartland Package (both $6/month) before dropping those two to get BB@Home.

I believe FYI is in the Smart Pack, but I think it is $34.99/month now. Heartland could still be added for GSN. I do not think TLC is in Smart Pack.

I also believe that Dish America has GSN and TLC. However, I believe the price is now $49.99/month. I also think FYI is in Dish America Gold. However, the price for that is probably $69.99/month. I am not sure if one can still get Dish America Gold.

I know FX is in AT120 and Dish Latino Dos along with TLC. Dish Latino Dos does have GSN included while AT120 does not. AT120 and Dos are both $59.99/month. For AT120, GSN could be added with Heartland and FYI could be added with Sling TV. Dos also differs in channel lineup. While it does not have everything in AT120, it does have Animal Planet (in 200), Bravo (in 200), Disney XD (in 200), Fusion (in 250), FXX (in 120+), GSN (in 200/Heartland), MLB (in 200/MultiSport), OWN (in 200/Heartland), Pixl (in Heartland/BB@Home), and National Geographic Channel (in 200).

Sorry if any information I wrong. I am using my phone and going by memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: fhsucade07
Mojo, is Weather Nation actually included in Welcome Pack or is it just an extended free preview? We are still getting the HD feed of Weather Nation, which is unusual for Welcome Pack channels. The only other national Welcome Pack channel that includes the HD feed (besides Dish Studio and free preview channels) is AXS, which is not included on your list or the list on the Dish website. However, we have been getting AXS for the past three years, so I assume it is actually included in Welcome Pack.

Never mind about Weather Nation. I checked the Welcome Pack list linked above, and Weather Nation is listed, but the logo is The Weather Channel instead of the Weather Nation logo.

For the first time ever I have downgraded to the Top 200.

Spooky ! I also downgraded to the 200 last week. Got to take a look at the lower packages in detail to see if I can drop more.

We watch maybe 4-5 channels + the nationals. But, the snakes put them in packages with the other stuff.

Reactions: TheKrell
I don't want to pay more than $100 per month for TV! With two Hoppers and a Joey, months ago I decided to drop from 200 down to 120. I realized that the only channel I would really miss would be BBC America. After prices go up again, I'll get another EHD or two and go with one hopper and maybe two Joeys, which will cut the monthly price a little bit at least.

Reactions: KAB
The Golf channel is a must for me which means AT200 minimum. i'm guessing they think that people who watch the Golf channel can afford it which is a bummer. If it was on AT120, i would drop in a second.

For the first time ever I have downgraded to the Top 200. I was originally an Everything Pack customer and then when I went to the Hopper and fees got high I dropped to the Top 250. I finally made the decision to drop from that pack to the Top 200 now which made me feel kind of sad but I found that I'm not really missing much.
I did the same thing a few years ago. My Dish bill had increased to over $100/month, so I dropped down to Top 200. My bill went down to about $82/month...not too bad. Now, not that much later, my bill is starting to creep over $100 again without me adding any additional channels. Time for me to rethink how to lower my bill. :coco

The Golf channel is a must for me which means AT200 minimum. i'm guessing they think that people who watch the Golf channel can afford it which is a bummer. If it was on AT120, i would drop in a second.
Or Comcast knows that if you're a golf fan, you'll pay for it.

This is a common complaint. Everyone wants their favorite channels in the Top 120. The problem with that is the Top 120 then becomes the Top 250 and you pay more money. They put the most popular channels and some of the lowest cost channels in the Top 120. Sometimes our favorite channels don't make the cut and the Golf Channel is one of them.

Reactions: KAB and Tampa8
About a year ago, we went down from 250 to 120, there were a few channels we missed so we went up to 200, not missing anything at 250, we did survive when we had 120 though

I have looked at Dish America, but from a cost perspective 120 would probably better fit us

Note that regardless of the video service available from dish and that's cost. There is always the ongoing hardware costs and various fees. With Sling.TV, the only cost is the programming and any hardware cost is a one time cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)