Dvr Fees Going Up!

The $7.95 + $4.95 for DVR service = Dish Network charging $4.99 additional outlet fee + $5.99 DVR fee so its $2 higher (going to be $4 higher if its $15 as another person indicated) but you do not have to buy the box. You can take a look at it this way too, you do not need to purchase a warranty with the cable boxes so your saving $2 even after the increase (6-4=2). All these fees really add up.

I am unsure what provider you looked at for free dvr but comcast, the only cable provider i have, there is a $9.95 charge.

I currently subscribe to AEP, 3 dvr's (1*942, 2*501), HD pak and Voom. Monthly Cost. $106.66
for comcast the monthly (off their website) is $164.05 (with a total of over $50 for extra dvr's and converter boxes)+ ( a big plus here) one time setup fees Total $114.97

Of course my payments will go up as stated( maybe not for aep) and i could go to comcast to try and get this reduced, as many people do with dish. But im sorry i still dont see that these increments are that bad. Am i missing something ?

And if you don't like the Dish DVR compared to Tivo, just try the Explorer HD8300 box from Scientific Atlanta. It has NBR, but otherwise seems kind of limited, though I only explored it a little at my sister's house.

Does anybody think the DVR fee might be going up for people who with leased DVRs? That would be understandable in my mind. As it is now, the DVR fee for the 625 is the same as the 510. There's no way the 2 cost the same to manufacture. If they raised the price on LEASED 625 DVR fees, I won't be going as ballistic.

is dish going to enable the NBR on the 5.0x and 510 receivers? Because I we shouldn't be paying any DVR fee at all!

Last edited:
Of couse, I've never PERSONALLY OWNED or LEASED a "DVR". I do pesonally own a 501 "PVR" though for almost 3 years now

Stargazer said:
The $7.95 + $4.95 for DVR service = Dish Network charging $4.99 additional outlet fee + $5.99 DVR fee so its $2 higher (going to be $4 higher if its $15 as another person indicated) but you do not have to buy the box. You can take a look at it this way too, you do not need to purchase a warranty with the cable boxes so your saving $2 even after the increase (6-4=2). All these fees really add up.

There is no additional outlet fee for a standalone DVR or twin 625 and an extra outlet on cable is $6.50 and I'm not sure if this includes the .25 cent remote control fee.

BobMurdoch said:
Programming costs keep skyrocketing and our prices are going up once a year roughly at the rate of inflation. Lifetime wants 75% more. ESPN is going through the roof. I'm pretty happy with how far they HAVE been able to hold down the increases. Go check your local company to see how much of an increase your neighbor has to deal with.

Just called my mom, cable rates here have not gone up since Atlantic Broadband took the system over from Charter Communications. That's been around 2 years, now they did increase the speed of the middle tier of the cable modem from 1.5Mbps to 3Mbps and didn't increase the price.

"DirecTv charges $5.99 if I am not mistaken."

THat is for new customers. Existing havn't seen an increase. Hope Dish follows the same philosophy although I doubt.

Roger said:
There is no additional outlet fee for a standalone DVR or twin 625 and an extra outlet on cable is $6.50 and I'm not sure if this includes the .25 cent remote control fee.

There is if it is the additional receiver on the account.

Stargazer said:
There is if it is the additional receiver on the account.

Got it. An addition cable box is 6.50 and DVR box is $7.95 so DSS is still much cheaper. There is a fee of 6.50 for just one standard box.

I am tired of hearing all these "rumors". Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. I have been hearing rumors of getting Fine Life, Oxygen, Lifetime back , and all the rest.

Let's not gossip here . . this should be for confirmed FACTS only.

$5.98/mo for E* and D* DVR's is still cheaper here then Comcast Chattanooga for the first box. I was an E* sub until a few months ago when I moved and could not get line of site to the E* satellites, now I get Comcast Digital Plus, here the first standard STB is included at no charge like the E* DHA plan, however extra STB's are $6.50/mo and DVR STB's are $9.95/mo for each one on your account. Since I now have the Comcast Internet and TV bundle my total monthly bill is about the same then it would be if I had TV from E*, Internet and Limited Basic cable from Comcast, however if I could get a line of site to E* and got my broadband Internet from CenturyTel DSL, E* would still be much cheaper for me.

Good shot in post 36!

Funny how people don't seem to notice when channels are added, but scream when the price later goes up. Maybe Dish should add channels and increase prices concurrently? People would still scream! By and large, E* tends to be a buck or 2 cheaper than D*. Sure, there are exceptions. And I think we all can count on further D* increases. Not to mention cableco increases.

Every now and then I check the current prices from my cableco. Not only is my E* bill less than the equivalent cableco bill today, I'm still paying less than I did to the cableco 4 years ago when I switched to DISH! And I have a 301, 508 & 721. E* beats cable around here, and I suspect it does in most places.

And with DISH I can get more HD, and I have full confidence that the PQ & resolution will be restored when the "Voom 15" arrives and Echostar X is up and running. I think E* beats D* and will continue to do so. If you think D* is better, go there- and post in their forums. Bashing DISH just for the "fun of it" loses you credibility.

By next Monday's Chat, and almost certainly before, we will have a lot more info on where DISH is heading. And most of the news will be good.

navychop said:
Funny how people don't seem to notice when channels are added, but scream when the price later goes up. Maybe Dish should add channels and increase prices concurrently? People would still scream!

And funny how the E* pom-pomers don't seem to notice when channels are removed AND get a price increase at the same time. But I guess in the convoluted world of the dishies, that DOES make more sense. :rolleyes:

When OLN got removed, E* didn't DECREASE it's rates & in fact is now INCREASING it's rates. Obviously, if the Lifetimes don't come back, (which COULD happen) everyone is STILL getting the upcoming price increase - yea, I think that's FANTASTIC!!! :p :rolleyes:

D* OTOH, managed to ADD more channels to BOTH of their basic packages, didn't REMOVE any, & still is keeping rates the same. And BTW, on the last rate increase, D*'s increase was LESS than E*'s - but of course you guys fail to mention that. (BTW, you DO know that TC has ALL of the same video channels as AT120, PLUS almost another dozen more, all for $1 LESS than E* - but who's counting a dollar here or there, oh, YOU are, but in the wrong direction.

By next Monday's Chat, and almost certainly before, we will have a lot more info on where DISH is heading. And most of the news will be good.

chug chug chug that Koolaid... :p :confused:

Oh, & as far as the DVR fees go, (which is what the post was orignally about) I think it's also fantastic that some of you guys get to pay an extra $1 (per DVR no less) for a service that E* shouldn't be charging for PERIOD, since it's the same thing that comes on the older non-fee DVR's, but just because Charlie found enough people dumb enough to do this. But, I guess I'm spoiled by my lifetime NO FEE DVR's from D* that actually work... :D :D

Last edited:

Will Dish take back my 942 for the upcoming 622

811 and 942 Upgrades

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)