Easy (probably old) question

AK Eggy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Alaska
Just found this site tonight and have been searching posts looking for the answer, but have been unable to do so. I originally had 1 reciever installed (I think I have a Dish 500 system). this original receiver is a model # 4900. I recently purchased a used model #301 receiver I intended to use in a bedroom. I called and had the second (used) reciever activated on my account and it was working. When I had it activated, I had it hooked up in the location of the original reciever. After I knew the receiver was working, I crawled up in the attic and installed a splitter between the dish and the original receiver and ran co-ax to the bedroom. Now the second receiver (model # 301) is not working. I get some channels, but not all, and I dont get any info on the Guide.

I know I'm missing something, but have tried everything Iknow. Is there something other than a splitter that I need to accomplish this? The one I bought was from Radio Shack and is supposed to be compatible with satellite dishes.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Now what?

Ok...so I called the local install guys and they said I needed a Dual LN LNB which he had in stock. He also said I didn't need to mess with any alignments, just install it and go. So I get home today and install the new LBN and now I have channels up to 108 in both locations, but nothing more. I get the "Error 002" message (The staellite signal has been lost, signal aquisition in progress). It doesn't matter if both receivers are plugged in or not. I know my original receiver is OK, as I was watching it last night.

Any ideas? Do I need to use a specific port on the new LNB? I used the one to the left as you're facing the front of the dish because that's closest to where the wire was originally run.

Man...sure is frustrating...it seemed so simple when I started!!

Last edited:
Ok...so I called the local install guys and they said I needed a Dual LN LNB which he had in stock. He also said I didn't need to mess with any alignments, just install it and go. So I get home today and install the new LBN and now I have channels up to 108 in both locations, but nothing more. I get the "Error 002" message (The staellite signal has been lost, signal aquisition in progress). It doesn't matter if both receivers are plugged in or not. I know my original receiver is OK, as I was watching it last night.

Any ideas? Do I need to use a specific port on the new LNB? I used the one to the left as you're facing the front of the dish because that's closest to where the wire was originally run.

Man...sure is frustrating...it seemed so simple when I started!!

Do you have a separate cable from the LNB to each receiver? Each receiver needs its own cable from one of the LNB ports.

No

Both the local distributer/installer and the Dish Network help line told me I could split one line and run both receivers. The distributer where I bought it told me I could run several receivers off this one LNB.

I called the Dish Network help line since I posted this and they had me run a Switch Test. The results were "sattelite 119" and "polarity odd". They told me that "polarity odd" meant I had a bad LNB. If it had come back "polarity even" it would mean I had a problem with the cable or connector. Is there a way to check the LNB in a static state (ohm test)?

Oh yeah...Even if I unplug the cable from the splitter to the second receiver, the original receiver gets the same switch test results with this new LNB
. When I re-installed the original LNB, everything went back to its original state and I receive all channels on the original receiver.

Last edited:
Get rid of the splitter. Put it all back like it was and get one receiver working. A single line from the dish CANNOT be split to multiple receivers.

Post the details of check switch from the working receiver so we can know what you have connected.

Then, run another cable directly from the dish to the other room. How you connect it at the dish depends on the details you post.

Regardless of the LNB you can't use a splitter, you probably didn't need a new LNB either. I don't think any Dish 500s were made that can't do two receivers.

OK......

Get rid of the splitter. Put it all back like it was and get one receiver working. A single line from the dish CANNOT be split to multiple receivers.

Post the details of check switch from the working receiver so we can know what you have connected.

Then, run another cable directly from the dish to the other room. How you connect it at the dish depends on the details you post.

Original LNB is back on the dish...the cable runs into the attic to a splitter (the only way I currently have to connect 2 females together and the way it was originally installed 8 years ago)...through the power passing leg (nothing connected to the other leg of the splitter)...out to the cable that runs directly to my original receiver...All is well...Check switch says "sattelite 119" and "polarity odd even"...I am receiving all of my normal channels.

With the new dual LN LNB installed with the RG-6 connected exactly the same way through the power passing leg of the splitter and nothing connected to the other leg of the splitter to my original receiver, the switch test read "sattelite 119" and "polarity odd". I get the same result when the RG-6 is connected to the other co-ax connector at the LNB.

Regardless of the LNB you can't use a splitter, you probably didn't need a new LNB either. I don't think any Dish 500s were made that can't do two receivers.

Mine is 8 or nine years old and only had provisions for one RG-6 at the LNB. I assumed because of only having the one connection there was no other way to connect 2 receivers without using a splitter. The LNB I bought today was a dual LN LNB and has provisions to connect to RG-6 cables at the LNB.

I know...

We've been trying to tell you this since the 2nd post: THE SPLITTER IS THE PROBLEM.

Obviously I know NOTHING about this stuff!! Some people told me I could do it and you guys told me I couldn't. The people that told me I could were the Dish Network help line and my local service provider and support for Dish Network. To add to the equation, it's MUCH easier for me to try the splitter than it is to run an additional cable right now. I've been sick for a week and didn't feel like runnig new cable through the snow on the roof, so I thought I would try the splitter thing.

Please don't think I'm disregarding your advice, I was just being lazy and trying the easiest stuff first.

So if I understand this correctly...with my new dual LN LNB (if it's not defective), I can hook up two receivers and no more to my existing system. I'm assuming this is correct becasue of the presence of 2 ouput terminals on the new LNB. Is this correct??

Again...I can be a real stump about some things, so please be patient with me...

That's what I thought. Different technology. It will work with the 301, but won't work with the 4900 (requires an adaptor). Return the LNB to the local guy and swap it for a 'legacy' dual. That will run both receivers (once you run the 2nd line). In reality, you really need to upgrade to a Dish 500, so you can see the 110 orbital. There's a lot of channels you are probably not getting.

EDIT: PS- I just noticed that the OP was in Alaska. Can he 'see' 110 from Alaska?

Last edited:
ok, I know I am a little late to this party... but here is my take.

I think it has been decided you have a Dish 300 system. (Does the lnb you have now, look like 1 eye, or 2 sitting side by side?) Probably just 1.
If that is the case then you need to return the DP lnb you have, cause as it was already mentioned... the DP lnb will not work with your legacy receiver (the 4900).
You need a "legacy dual lnb".
You need to run a second line from the dish to the new receiver.

I know you have the splitter in the line now, and it has been there... but because it is on the power-passing port, it is acting as a barrel connector. The receivers have to be able to send a specific voltage or tone depending on which channel you are trying to watch, to the dish. So each receiver needs its own direct connection to the dish.

And whatever idiot at Dish tech support told you that, is wrong. And the local guy may not have quite understood what was going on... because he did sell you a dual lnb, he just sold you the wrong one.

Welcome to the site!!
and if you stick around and continue to ask questions, you will learn to find... when it comes down to the information you are told by a tech support rep and us.... we are right :)
A lot of us on here have been doing this work for a living for a long time, and know what we are doing.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Thanks a ton!!

Thanks for everyones help. Again, I apologoze for my ignorance, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere, right?

I ended up buying a new receiver that was compatible with the new dual LN LNB. I figured it would give me the option to add another reciever later if I wanted to, and my 4900 was 8 years old so I figured it wasn't going to last forever. Didn't have to run another cable from the LNB to the receiver either, just used the existing splitter.

Anyway, got everything working today after work. Again, thank you all very much for your help.

Still have it

That's the one I installed in the second location that started this whole mess! It's finally where I wanted it to be and is working as it should.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts