Espnu or All American Direct distants in HD

I for one do not want to attack Mr. Ergen because I believe you should be able to get a distant signal. Those who are against having the ability to recieve distants are wrong in my opinion.

Last edited:
I do not want to attack Mr. Ergen, but even I believe you should be able to get a distant signal. Those against people the ability to recieve distants are just wrong in my opinion.

Notice that no one stops you from reading the New York Times in Tulsa, and in fact, the NY Times would undoubtedly claim that it was a First Amendment violation to try that...

Hey i tried to read the NY Times here in NC, but all the stories that are being covered by my local paper were "blotted out". I hate those damn newspaper blackouts :rant:

The Information i am getting is that its 7.49 if you already get the SD channels from aad.(9.99 for the 4 networks.) if you dont get add sd channels. but i am also herd it to be as low as 6.99 for existing customers. Every one is wrong to say its 9.99 per channel. as it should be per big four as in chicago or LA depending on your location.

The Information i am getting is that its 7.49 if you already get the SD channels from aad.(9.99 for the 4 networks.) if you dont get add sd channels. but i am also herd it to be as low as 6.99 for existing customers. Every one is wrong to say its 9.99 per channel. as it should be per big four as in chicago or LA depending on your location.

Jeff,

Not to beat a dead horse. Right now I have their SF and NY feed of CBS only. I'm in the central time zone. If I add Chicago HD it will be 7.49 plus what I'm paying for the SD feeds? Finally can I keep my SD feeds along with adding the Chicago HD, or do I have to give up NY? I know it's all pre mature, but I want to have a game plan when I call tomorrow.

Hey i tried to read the NY Times here in NC, but all the stories that are being covered by my local paper were "blotted out". I hate those damn newspaper blackouts :rant:

Yes. I'll agree with that. Your local paper will go out of business because you're reading the newspaper from another city. :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm so glad someone added that "RANT" smile on this. IT IS MY FAVOURITE ONE!!! :rant: YOU GOTTA LOVE IT!!

Notice that no one stops you from reading the New York Times in Tulsa, and in fact, the NY Times would undoubtedly claim that it was a First Amendment violation to try that...
That's because the NY Times chooses to sell it's newspaper in other locations outside of NY.

Network affiliates do not (contractually they cannot, without losing their network affiliation since the affiliate does not own the distribution rights to all its shows, newspapers on the other hand do). Therein lies the difference.

Any possibility that I will be able to get NBC in standard definiton tomorrow ? I get a digital signal but it just will not stay... so it's like one second I'm looking at a quality picture then the next a black screen with a green signal lost screen. Rinse, repeat.

Ouch on the price! I was quoted the following:

9.99 per network (one feed only. Chicago for Eastern and Central, LA for Mountain and Pacific)
7.49 per network if you have SD as well (plus the 3.49)
34.99 for all 4 networks
24.99 for all 4 networks if you have SD as well (plus the 12.99)

Also if you order quarterly prior to July 15th the third month is free for the first quarter.

Open 9am - 10pm Sat and noon - 9pm on Sunday

I'm on the phone now and they are taking orders today. I'm on hold now but they did indeed say 34.99 for all 4 HD nets for me from Chicago. I'm about to ask about the discounted 24.99 fee if I already have the SD package.

Lots and lots of unhappy people coming up. Currently no discount if you have the SD package.

HD - 34.99 a month, 69.98 for the quarter (3rd month free) but 104.97 for other quarters, 399.99 annual with 13th month free.

SD - Here's a kick in the teeth. The price will remain 12.99 per month but now you will only recieve one city either SF or NY.

I passed on the HD for that price and will likely just drop everything once they effectively double the price on SD. I don't think I would pay more than 15 (20 tops) for two feeds 1 HD & 1 SD. Such a wasted opportunity for them. At these prices I forsee them either dropping the fees significantly or just not offering disants in 3 - 6 months as there won't be enough subscribers to cover thier transponder expenses.

Who is going to pay more for their network package than the base packages that are out there.

Distants since 1999 were a nice 10 year run. Looks like I'm out of luck now. :(

Voyagerbob

Last edited:
Yes. I'll agree with that. Your local paper will go out of business because you're reading the newspaper from another city. :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm so glad someone added that "RANT" smile on this. IT IS MY FAVOURITE ONE!!! :rant: YOU GOTTA LOVE IT!!

I did not notice this smilie, LOL, I'm going to have to use it more often.

Lots and lots of unhappy people coming up. Currently no discount if you have the SD package.

HD - 34.99 a month, 69.98 for the quarter (3rd month free) but 104.97 for other quarters, 399.99 annual with 13th month free.

SD - Here's a kick in the teeth. The price will remain 12.99 per month but now you will only recieve one city either SF or NY.

I passed on the HD for that price and will likely just drop everything once they effectively double the price on SD. I don't think I would pay more than 15 (20 tops) for two feeds 1 HD & 1 SD. Such a wasted opportunity for them. At these prices I forsee them either dropping the fees significantly or just not offering disants in 3 - 6 months as there won't be enough subscribers to cover thier transponder expenses.

Who is going to pay more for their network package than the base packages that are out there.

Distants since 1999 were a nice 10 year run. Looks like I'm out of luck now. :(

Voyagerbob

Well if these prices keep this is getting ridiculous, it is more expensive than HBO. I guess I will have to "move" are there any SD locals still in CONUS?

I sent an email to AAD about how I thought the prices for the Hd networks were a little bit ridculous!!!! $9.99 per network or $34.99 for all 4 in HD per month---what a rip off when SD channels are $3.49 per network and $12.99 for all 4 in Sd per month!!!!:rant::(

I think I am just going to see if I can add ABC SD then. I can get HD OTA (It goes out at times), but just can't get guide info. I might add CBS HD around Tournament time and maybe for the Super Bowl. Those prices are ridiculous. I would pay $25 a month for all channels, but not $47.

That's because the NY Times chooses to sell it's newspaper in other locations outside of NY.

Network affiliates do not (contractually they cannot, without losing their network affiliation since the affiliate does not own the distribution rights to all its shows, newspapers on the other hand do). Therein lies the difference.

Yeah but really who needs the locals when networks like NBC and CBS put their shows up for FREE viewing on the internet.

Seems like there is no need for local stations at all (except for local news)

I sent an email to AAD about how I thought the prices for the Hd networks were a little bit ridculous!!!! $9.99 per network or $34.99 for all 4 in HD per month---what a rip off when SD channels are $3.49 per network and $12.99 for all 4 in Sd per month!!!!:rant::(

And on top of that you get two citys for that price. At least currently!

Those prices are way too friken high. Does anybody know if current SD subs will lose the second feed. I really dig my east coast feed as I love watching the late shows in my prime time.

Just got the LA networks turned on! Cost: 3 months for $50, works out to be about $17 dollars a month, not a bad deal. The only problem, the networks are in 3:4-HD, there"re still a few bugs in their system, will be patient........oops had the wrong setting, now its 16:9, me bad

(kept my sd networks:NY & SF)

Last edited:
I called back to AAd and got another rep and the final price for Chicago HD was $5.34 compared to $9.99 that I was Quotted the first time And Still Kept my Sd channels for $3.49. So that Really is not that bad:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)