ex-Penn State coach Sandusky sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
riffjim4069 said:
Does anyone else thing Paterno's age had anything to do with what happened? I think the guy was living in the past and didn't fully process everything he was hearing. While I personally feel that he was a good and decent man, I think that he will be remembered as a sad and pathetic figure based on these events.

Yes, I think that his age may have clouded his judgement, but have difficulty believing he would have acted radically different if he'd only been younger when the molestation came to his attention. Over and over I've heard the talking heads say that all the Penn State power players acted to protect Paterno's legacy or Penn State's reputation. The truth is the only way to do that would have been to decisively and immediately act to protect those kids that couldn't protect themselves. Sure, it would have been embarrassing in the short term, but those acting to protect the vulnerable would actually have enhanced their standing in the long term. Instead, they turned their backs on hurting children, on their responsibilities, and destroyed their legacies.

Acting quickly and decisively at the time would have made it look like Penn State was a victim, rooting out a predator. The coverup makes the institution the predator, no matter how many who oppose the thought say 'it was just 4 guys'.

Does anyone else thing Paterno's age had anything to do with what happened? I think the guy was living in the past and didn't fully process everything he was hearing. While I personally feel that he was a good and decent man, I think that he will be remembered as a sad and pathetic figure based on these events.

Weren't these things happening 10-15 years ago? Maybe even further in the past given Sandusky's proclivities.....

JoePa wasn't too old then to realize it, was he?

Weren't these things happening 10-15 years ago? Maybe even further in the past given Sandusky's proclivities.....

JoePa wasn't too old then to realize it, was he?

Dont really buy the naive/senile angle... the guy was running a football team. That's not really an automatic thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That would still make Paterno 70+ and several years past his being able to draw full social security benefits. How much of a factor was age in this case? I don't know, but it is an interesting question to ponder.

That would still make Paterno 70+ and several years past his being able to draw full social security benefits. How much of a factor was age in this case? I don't know, but it is an interesting question to ponder.

Paterno negotiated a golden parachute for himself in January 2011 after he had testified before the grand jury. The ability to recognize his situation and plan accordingly demonstrates cognitive ability I don't think a man afflicted with senility would have...

Paterno negotiated a golden parachute for himself in January 2011 after he had testified before the grand jury. The ability to recognize his situation and plan accordingly demonstrates cognitive ability I don't think a man afflicted with senility would have...

There is no doubt the man was still lucid and nobody is bringing "senility" into the equasion. My point is that there's a reason why 70+ year old people don't have chidren and why they generally retire in their 60s. I've seen countless examples where they don't have the time or energy to deal with problem like younger people do, and they often see things through time-warped glasses. Plus, I feel his staff of cronies may have been hell-bent on preserving his legacy to the point they treated Paterno like a mushroom by keeping him in the dark and feeling him misinformation. Again, I may be wrong but I do feel that his age had something to do with the events that unfolded. Paterno should retired from coaching in the '90s and stayed on with the program as an advisor.

I think though Paterno had no thought of leaving just like all the big college coaches, he ruled Happy Valley, when I went to visit a frend at Penn state it was pretty amazing how they looked upon his presence at Penn State

Nope, especially since he seemed to have enough facilities to convince the school president and others to instigate the cover up in order to save the school from bad publicity.

I don't think they should punish the ones there now that had nothing to do with it. They should never let anyone associated with this back in the NCAA to ever coach, teach, manage, or have anything to do with the NCAA ever again.

I don't think they should punish the ones there now that had nothing to do with it. They should never let anyone associated with this back in the NCAA to ever coach, teach, manage, or have anything to do with the NCAA ever again.

Nope. Not enough. They need to shut down the program. The seriousness of this is far more important than a football team. Death penalty is needed. The University's culpability outweighs the cost of punishing those that "had nothing to do with it."

Nope. Not enough. They need to shut down the program. The seriousness of this is far more important than a football team. Death penalty is needed. The University's culpability outweighs the cost of punishing those that "had nothing to do with it."

So with that then you are saying that if the dean of your department was doing this same thing at your school that the entire criminal justice department should be killed? Even though you or the other faculty had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

So with that then you are saying that if the dean of your department was doing this same thing at your school that the entire criminal justice department should be killed? Even though you or the other faculty had nothing to do with it.

Sorry, but that happens all the time. What did Matt Barley and Lane Kiffen have to do with what went on with Reggie Bush and Pete Carol. The school still got punished even though they were gone.

Hart5150 said:
Sorry, but that happens all the time. What did Matt Barley and Lane Kiffen have to do with what went on with Reggie Bush and Pete Carol. The school still got punished even though they were gone.

Agreed but we are talking more run of the mill sanctions versus the "death penalty". Big difference imo.

Sent from my Rezound using SatelliteGuys

Completely different example. The institution failed to uphold the most basic principles of integrity and what the NCAA calls "institutional control." The football program must pay the price. If it were just Sandusky with no knowledge or ANYONE else at the institution, then your example would work. But this is about a cover-up; this is about knowing about the most heinous of crimes, and covering it up to protect "the football program." Screw the football program. Kill it.

Sure, let the players transfer without having to sit out. But kill the program. Nothing else is even close to appropriate.

You raise an excellent point...

Offhand, I would be inclined to punish only those who were directly involved with the concealment/coverup. However, much like how a child suffers when a parent is imprisoned, innocent parties are going to suffer due to the impact of one of life's oldest lessons, "Life ain't fair." While I don't feel the entire program should be summarily punished, in reality, it's a moot point because the death bell has already been sounded on the Penn State football program regardless of any imposed NCAA punishment.

Seriously, just how many student athletes are standing in line to join the PSU football program's Rank & Defile these days? My guess is not many, which leads me to believe that PSU will be forced into paying homage to the old idiom, "Paying through the nose" for the misdeeds of their fearful leaders.

Sanctions or not, I think the PSU program will be in disarray for the next 5-years. We shall see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts