Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If enough subs vote with their money, it could have the Netflix effect, but to get a large enough percentage of 14 million people to participate would be a stretch.

Dish really won't care about those that drop their programming package level to save money...their profit margins are roughly the same for all package levels. The hurt would come mostly to the providers that have channels in the upper tiers. The equipment fees are a different story. Those are almost all profit for Dish. So the best way to make a statement about the fee hikes would be to drop Hoppers and Joeys from the account, which I'm sure Dish is betting that most won't do.

How about if a million of us called in at the same time to cancel. Wouldn't that make a statement? Logistically it would be a nightmare to organize, but not impossible. With the internet & social networking it could happen.

If enough subs vote with their money, it could have the Netflix effect, but to get a large enough percentage of 14 million people to participate would be a stretch.
i think there are only 2 or 3 million hoppers out there, so this change is still not going to affect enough people. Most of those will be single hopper installs that get raised a total of $4 a month. Combined with the previous price increase, it might get some to make changes.

The 2 or more hopper customers are still very small in number. Not enough people for Dish to care about and those are the people who get hit the most by the fee increase.

Btw, you can save $7 a month which is basically otherwise wasted by removing the protection plan, and just add it for four months whenever you need service done.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Believe me, that is under consideration. Timing is important.

OK, so now we should be looking at:

Estimated DISH bill after May 2013 and comparison to Hopper alternatives
1 ViP722 2 ViP722 1 H / 1 J 1 H / 2 J 2 H 2 H / 1 J 2 H / 2 J
1st ViP722 $ - $ -
2nd ViP722 $ - $ 17.00
DVR service $ 7.00 $ 7.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00
Whole home $ 4.00 $ 4.00 $ 4.00 $ 4.00 $ 4.00
1st Hopper $ - $ - $ - $ - $ -
2nd Hopper $ 14.00 $ 14.00 $ 14.00
1st Joey $ 7.00 $ 7.00 $ 7.00 $ 7.00
2nd Joey $ 7.00 $ 7.00
-------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- --------------
$ 7.00 $ 24.00 $ 21.00 $ 28.00 $ 28.00 $ 35.00 $ 42.00
AT 250 $ 74.99 $ 74.99 $ 74.99 $ 74.99 $ 74.99 $ 74.99 $ 74.99
BB@H $ 10.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00 $ 10.00
protection plan $ 7.00 $ 7.00 $ 7.00 $ 7.00 $ 7.00 $ 7.00 $ 7.00
-------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- --------------
$ 91.99 $ 91.99 $ 91.99 $ 91.99 $ 91.99 $ 91.99 $ 91.99
TOTAL: $ 98.99 $ 115.99 $ 112.99 $ 119.99 $ 119.99 $ 126.99 $ 133.99
Cancellation fee is $10/month
Excludes taxes

Or, of course, dropping to 1 ViP722. ViP612s would work well, except they used to be troublesome. Rarely ran a second TV off the ViP722 - but there is some chance that I'll do so in the future. So no strong drive to drop to a single ViP612. And dropping PP is on the table.

Kinda reminds me of the big fee increase that got me to cancel dish years ago. It more than doubled my exra receiver fees. Not enough people canceled then or they wouldnt be doing this today..

Dish doesnt care about sub numbers only how much money they can wring out of their existing customers, and historically new subs signing up today wouldnt be warned of the cost increase coming......

but will be held to contracts:(

The price increase hasn't gone into effect yet, but there will be an increase on the equipment. This is to reflect the costs associated with providing all the features that come with the Hopper. Much like how a regular solo receiver is $7, but a Duo is $14, or a Duo DVR is $17. The increase will only affect the whole-home DVR fee, and the Hopper. Joey's will remain at $7. This takes effect as of May 22nd.

So does my package downgrade.

I'm a bit confused about the new fees.... I've been reading here that the 1st Hopper fee will remain at $7..... Yet, I've never been charged for the 1st Hopper on my acct. (I have 4 plus 2 Joeys).... Does this new fee structure mean that my 1st Hopper will go from "free" to $7 ?...... Or does it mean that my 2nd Hopper will be treated as my "first fee" Hopper and thus, will remain at $ 7 ? ... And consequently, it will be my 3rd and 4th Hoppers which will increase to $14 each ?.... Thanks !

I'm a bit confused about the new fees.... I've been reading here that the 1st Hopper fee will remain at $7..... Yet, I've never been charged for the 1st Hopper on my acct. (I have 4 plus 2 Joeys).... Does this new fee structure mean that my 1st Hopper will go from "free" to $7 ?...... Or does it mean that my 2nd Hopper will be treated as my "first fee" Hopper and thus, will remain at $ 7 ? ... And consequently, it will be my 3rd and 4th Hoppers which will increase to $14 each ?.... Thanks !
Where did you read that?

It's simple. Forget the DVR, whole home fee, etc. Just calculate it like this: For every Hopper on your account, add $14, for every Joey, add $7.

I think you misinterpreted. There is no actual fee for the first Hopper - or any first receiver for that matter with Dish. You do pay now a combined $10 fee which is the DVR fee and whole home fee. That fee will now be $14. Then every Hopper after the first will go from $7 each to $14 each. So with your four Hoppers (I didn't think dish allowed that on one account) your fees will increase $25. Total of these fees will be $70.

the whole home and DVR fee is $10 per month currently. You're not paying a 1st hopper fee in Dish's technical wording, but that fee is essentially Dish's way of charging for the 1st hopper (most people just don't realize it).

I checked with suddenlink and the lady figured for about 10 minutes and came up with $176 a month which is $2.00 more with a little more than half the channels. They didn't have any foreign channels either( euronews france24, Israel network.

Where did you read that?

It's simple. Forget the DVR, whole home fee, etc. Just calculate it like this: For every Hopper on your account, add $14, for every Joey, add $7.

While this is not EXACTLY correct, it sure is ACCURATE

The only way out of fees appears to be cable with TiVo. But, then you are really prepaying for the fees. The TiVo mini helps a lot to speed up the payback of the up front investment. Unfortunately cable is not an option for everyone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)