FIRST LOOK: Dish 500+ Dish 1000+ and the Dish 1000.2!

I have not been able to find anything from D* on the "Dish 1000.2", but going back to the beginning of this post, the only difference I see between the "Dish 1000.2" and the "Dish 1000" is the mast. I would say a bigger mast would be more beneficial for higher winds, but not for signal strength except for a higher dish to clear obstructions.

Here's extract from first page.
The NEW Dish 1000.2

The new Dish 1000.2 is almost just like the current Dish 1000, it still only picks up 110, 119 and 129. The dish is the same size, however the mast is slightly longer then the current DISH 1000.

Note that W brackets on the Dish 1000 and Dish 1000.2 are NOT interchangable.

Unquote

Notice it says "The dish is the same size,".
We'll see.

SmityWhity said:
I have not been able to find anything from D* on the "Dish 1000.2", but going back to the beginning of this post, the only difference I see between the "Dish 1000.2" and the "Dish 1000" is the mast. I would say a bigger mast would be more beneficial for higher winds, but not for signal strength except for a higher dish to clear obstructions.

Here's extract from first page.
The NEW Dish 1000.2

The new Dish 1000.2 is almost just like the current Dish 1000, it still only picks up 110, 119 and 129. The dish is the same size, however the mast is slightly longer then the current DISH 1000.

Note that W brackets on the Dish 1000 and Dish 1000.2 are NOT interchangable.

Unquote

Notice it says "The dish is the same size,".
We'll see.
That might be old info. See the ralfyguy post where he asks Scott about the size here. Scott says it's about 3" larger.

SmityWhity said:
cebbigh -- If you only need 110/119/129, then the current "Dish 1000" for $99 should do it, and depending on how many receivers you have, you may not need any switches.

The only concern would be if the 129 would have a strong enough signal where you are at. But I wonder if it's the signal strength or the satellite that is the problem.

I personally have not had any problems in Denver with 129 using a SuperDish 121 with a DP Dual LNBF duct taped to the side of it.

The concern is signal strength in the Seattle area. And it sounds like going to the 500+ or the 1000+ is the only way I can fix it if the 1000.2 isn't bigger than the the 1000. I've currently got two 500's (one to 110 & 119 and one to 129). But I get picture breakup to 129. A bigger dish should solve it for me. Are these dishes available from dish now?

So they are going to now have the following types of dishes out there in the field:

> DISH 500
> DISH 1000
> DISH 1000.2
> DISH PLUS (500/1000)

Those are listed in order of size from smallest to biggest then of course we will have the SuperDishes with the PLUS upgrade/repoint kit.

They could do away with the Dish 500 and make them all Dish 1000 (I think the Dish 1000 looks better than the Dish 500 anyways). They could make the Dish 1000.2 the standard dish replacing the Dish 1000. If they would make the Dish 1000 the same size reflector as the Dish Plus dishes then that would make one common size dish. Either that or they could make all of the other hardware the same and have different reflector sizes to put on that same skew plate and also have different lnbf kits. This would make it more customizable. You could mix and match different reflectors and lnbf's.

Stargazer said:
So they are going to now have the following types of dishes out there in the field:

> DISH 500
> DISH 1000
> DISH 1000.2
> DISH PLUS (500/1000)

Those are listed in order of size from smallest to biggest then of course we will have the SuperDishes with the PLUS upgrade/repoint kit.

They could do away with the Dish 500 and make them all Dish 1000 (I think the Dish 1000 looks better than the Dish 500 anyways). They could make the Dish 1000.2 the standard dish replacing the Dish 1000. If they would make the Dish 1000 the same size reflector as the Dish Plus dishes then that would make one common size dish. Either that or they could make all of the other hardware the same and have different reflector sizes to put on that same skew plate and also have different lnbf kits. This would make it more customizable. You could mix and match different reflectors and lnbf's.
Makes totally sense, but that's why it's not gonna be that simple, because we're talking about E*. They always have to do things the hard way.

We all know you must be careful with CSR when telling them what type of dish or dishes you have; so I wonder what are they going to call a "SuperDish with a Repoint Kit"?

Will it make it a "Dish 500+" or "Dish 1000+" depending on which repoint kit you install?

Maybe "SuperDish 500+" and "SuperDish 1000+"!

Last edited:
It's more then just the size of the dish.

A dedicated Dish 500 gets a stronger signal on 129 then a Dish 1000, but the Dish 500 isn't any bigger.

The shape of the dish and the positioning of the LNB is also a factor. I think the 1000.2 has been designed for better LNB placment for the 3 birds. Also, the built-in switch support 4 sat slots and 3 dual-tuner receivers so a lot fewer customers will need an external switch.

So, when talking to a CSR to request the 1000.2 dish how do we speak the name of this dish so there's no mistaking it?

Is it
dish one thounsand point two...
or
dish one thousand phase two...
or
dish one thousand version two...
or
???

David_Levin said:
It's more then just the size of the dish.

A dedicated Dish 500 gets a stronger signal on 129 then a Dish 1000, but the Dish 500 isn't any bigger.

The shape of the dish and the positioning of the LNB is also a factor. I think the 1000.2 has been designed for better LNB placment for the 3 birds. Also, the built-in switch support 4 sat slots and 3 dual-tuner receivers so a lot fewer customers will need an external switch.

With the dish 1000 I could either zero in on 129 and get approximately the same strength as with the 500 but lose 110 and 119. If the 1000.2 is only a rework of the LNB placement I'm dubious if it will be any improvement over two 500's. The built in switch is not a concern in my case. It increasingly looks like the 1000+ or 500+ because of increased dish size is the better option for the NW. I don't know if I want to be the first kid on the block to try it out at these prices though.

I am going to call the SuperDish with the repoint kit a SuperDish Plus (SD+ for short / abreviated) since they added the PLUS onto the Dish 500 and the Dish 1000. I think that name would make the most sense.

On the prices.... I wonder if the 500+ and 1000+ could be bought at a reduced price without the DP34 or DPP44 if you already have a switch?

On the name.... SuperDish+ and/or SD+ sounds good for the 500+ repoint kit, but what about with the 1000+ repoint kit? Maybe SuperDish+HD and/or SD+HD ??

I wish I could buy the dish plus without lnbf's and switch. I would wanna make my own "New 1000". Adjust the arm length to the old 1000, so the distance from the eyes to the pan is the same. That would make the ultimate one dish solution. At least for me. I don't know why E* didn't do it that way.

Should the 1000.2 be available to 921->leased 622 deal takers as part of the installation (at no additional cost)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)