FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

I'm in tha same boat....never thought I'd get the hardware and be waiting on the software.

Any tips on speeding up getting the Upgrade? Mine came today, but I am on ver 222.
Does Rebooting help?
Does Leaving it off a night help?
Does Making sure no recordings are set to go at night?
Do upgrades only come done at night or can they come in the day time?
Anything help with the odds?
What would be real sad would be to call and open a ticket with Dish support, heh I paid money and ordered this OTA thing and it dont work (knowing darn well we just need to wait for the software), I know us SatGuys would never do that :)

Last edited:
ScottChez said:
Any tips on speeding up getting the Upgrade? Mine came today, but I am on ver 222.
Does Rebooting help?
Does Leaving it off a night help?
Does Making sure no recordings are set to go at night?
Do upgrades only come done at night or can they come in the day time?
Anything help with the odds?
What would be real sad would be to call and open a ticket with Dish support, heh I paid money and ordered this OTA thing and it dont work (knowing darn well we just need to wait for the software), I know us SatGuys would never do that :)

There is no way to speed it up. The software is rolling out in waves to specific recievers. You will get it but it may take a few days. Calling dish wouldn't do anything because even if a CSR submitted a problem report, the people who analyze those would understand that it's rolling in waves and that you just need to be patient and wait . The software can start downloading at any time when your hopper is in standby. Normally it is overnight, but I've seen it mid day when I put my hopper into standby.

nope. waiting patiently is the only solution...

I've noticed that there haven't been many reports of updates since the first night of rollouts. Wonder if it's been halted after those install issues with the joeys.

sparc said:
nope. waiting patiently is the only solution...

I've noticed that there haven't been many reports of updates since the first night of rollouts. Wonder if it's been halted after those install issues with the joeys.

That's an interesting observation. In the past I have always received the new SW upgrade on the first night it was released but I am still at 222 and my two adapters are "Out for delivery." I hope the rollout hasn't been halted.

I need software update too.Plus I still don't know what kind of indoor antenna to get.Suggestions?

I have one of these that I bought several years ago. I'm only 6-18 miles away from the towers so it does a pretty good job picking up those signals. Not good enough to rely on as my only source, but as a backup or to get those occasional subchannels I want to watch, it's OK.

I see some people asking if they should shut off the receiver in order to help get the download faster. I'm curious as to how many poeple never turn their receivers off? If you are one of the people who never turn it off, why? I always tell my customers to turn the receiver off everytime you turn the TV off. Just seems to make more sense to me and it always seems to avoid more problems.

I see some people asking if they should shut off the receiver in order to help get the download faster.
When the release goes full-scale, that can help, but if it's still being trickled out, to pre-selected receivers, turning the receiver will not make any difference.

I received my OTA Modules today. I ordered one for each Hopper. Unfortunatley, I still don't have the software on either Hopper. Will update once the software makes it to me.

EDIT: Decided to get some pictures of the inside since I can't use them yet. Enjoy

DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0738_2.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone with a brand new USB OTA tuner and S222 software still on their Hopper tried plugging in the tuner to see if anything happens? I'm at work now. My Hopper still had S222 this morning, and I see from the UPS tracking info that my OTA tuner has been delivered and is waiting for me at home. Just wondering if S222 had hidden OTA code that would 'wake up' when you plugged a tuner into the Hopper.

I see some people asking if they should shut off the receiver in order to help get the download faster. I'm curious as to how many poeple never turn their receivers off? If you are one of the people who never turn it off, why? I always tell my customers to turn the receiver off everytime you turn the TV off. Just seems to make more sense to me and it always seems to avoid more problems.

I don't have a Hopper (yet), but I have always left my 722 on, very very rarely have I had an issue with it. Is it different for the Hopper?

Wasn't there a way to force the receivers to pull the latest updates? For some reason I was thinking there was, at least with the VIP series, but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.