FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

Do you have another Joey you can try it from? You could also try going through the Hopper menus and choose Network Setup and Broadband and try resetting the network from there to see if that helps. You could also try removing all the scanned locals and then pull the OTA out and plug it back in and scan again to see if that helps. If it doesn't, you may want to speak with a dish rep and have them submit a report about it.
lucky86,
Took your advice and reset the Hopper. My 2 Joeys now are OK. Thanks a lot. Didnt think about doing that in the first place. Just resetting the Joeys didnt do the trick.

lucky86,
Took your advice and reset the Hopper. My 2 Joeys now are OK. Thanks a lot. Didn't think about doing that in the first place. Just resetting the Joeys didnt do the trick.

Woo hoo! No problem! The Hopper is what is "feeding" the Joeys. So if I ever have an issue with a Joey, of course I reset that first but the next step is the Hopper and that normally corrects the issues that I run into.

Interesting comment. On one hand, I see many posts that seem to downplay the need to have more tuners in one box stating that people who are asking for more tuners are in the minority. Yet, on the other hand, you mention that households with more than two people should get two hoppers. I would argue that there are a lot of 3 person plus households out there. Does anyone still think the need for more tuners is a fringe need?

It all depends on how much recording a family does. I would think that once a family has a Hopper they would start recording more than they normally would and then start running into conflicts. Some things you never think you need until you actually have it and use it.

I myself still think that having two 3 tuner receivers is better than having one 5 or 6 tuner receiver.

Its almost 50% larger file size IIRC, maybe even double.

Hmm.. I don't remember them being *that* much larger. I suppose OTA file sizes vary and shrink when the OTA station squeezes in several extra SD subchannels and cuts into the bandwidth of the main channel. Even with that, the OTA channels in my area are a bit sharper than the same channel over satellite when you view them side by side. This is most likely because the local channels are sending their MPEG2 feed to Dish, and Dish is re-compressing to MPEG4.

The size of "video" from either Dish (i.e. MPEG4 via satellite) or OTA will always be variable. As mentioned above, I have seen a 1-hour program only give back ~20 minutes after I delete it, but that's not always the case. I do think something in the 50% range is reasonably accurate though. Also, someone recorded a lot of programming as a test of MPEG4 vs MPEG2 a couple of years ago and they came up with something closer to 50%. Yes, some were much smaller, in the 33% range, for example, but not consistently.

My OTA dongle just arrived via UPS. Took every bit of 3 minutes to install it and have the system reboot itself. Amazingly it worked perfectly. Usually I am on the phone with customer support after an hour of tinkering and trying to make something new work correctly. This worked correctly out of the box first try. Picture quality and signal strength are excellent.

Someone really smart at the other site has the Firmware Download list that is up on the sat.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=210356&page=2

If I am reading it right ONLY those in the RANGE of there Receiver Card Numbers R1881149252-R1881288030
will get the update tonight.
Do these numbers line up with others that already got it?

Is there a way to automate this report like the Uplink report so we would know daily who and when we are getting updates?

Hi Scott,

Just received my dongle from Dish..My Hopper does not recognize the dongle and I just got off a chat with Dish support and they told me the software will not be available until December 1st.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Someone really smart at the other site has the Firmware Download list that is up on the sat.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=210356&page=2

If I am reading it right ONLY those in the RANGE of there Receiver Card Numbers R1881149252-R1881288030
will get the update tonight.
Do these numbers line up with others that already got it?

Is there a way to automate this report like the Uplink report so we would know daily who and when we are getting updates?

I am within that range. I received 229 on Tuesday morning, and 230 this morning.

Hi Scott,

Just received my dongle from Dish..My Hopper does not recognize the dongle and I just got off a chat with Dish support and they told me the software will not be available until December 1st.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Did they also say they're from Washington, and they're here to help you?

Or they promised not to .........?

That same type of data used to be posted here as well.