FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

Ah, the non-whiners are here to whine about perceived "whining." Good to see the situation is under control. This thread is about the damn device. It is a device released at a time when it just flat out will not work with a significant number of Hoppers. Criticism is valid. The longer it takes, the worse it looks. I posted information relevant to the OTA module and its current state of doing nothing at all for a large number of potential users. You people have just put up multiple posts about my post. Good job.

They just like to whine.

Is it whining or stating facts to see if by some strange quirk of fate someone with knowledge form Dish will tell them why eleven days after the OTA was released over 50% of the customers still cannot use it? Seems to me that is not whining but a legitimate customer service complaint that should be addressed.

Jason Whiddon said:
Is it any better that we use comments like 50% or large number to describe who does not have it, when noone really knows? It's drama queen stuff.

Actually, we do have an idea of how many don't have it. Just look at the poll I started. Currently 56% of respondents are still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

joekawasaki said:
Actually, we do have an idea of how many don't have it. Just look at the poll I started. Currently 56% of respondents are still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Poll in the forum. Scientific. Once you vote on Mon that you don't, and then get it on Tues, how you suppose to change it?

sorry PR friends, i'm still waiting for S230 for my review. i'm going to receive a new hopper today, i think it will update to S230 after install it myself and can add the dongle to it. i'll keep you "updated"

It is a device released at a time when it just flat out will not work with a significant number of Hoppers.
People KNOW what s/w version they have and they KNOW that the OTA module won't work yet ..... but they still CHOSE to order it. Maybe Dish should only allow manual orders for the module and part of the order process is confirming that one's receiver has current enough software. Of course, that would lead to MORE whining. You'd also have some users who'd lie about the version of s/w they have (presuming Dish takes their word for it and doesn't check from their end) and what would that gain them ?

People KNOW what s/w version they have and they KNOW that the OTA module won't work yet ..... but they still CHOSE to order it. Maybe Dish should only allow manual orders for the module and part of the order process is confirming that one's receiver has current enough software. Of course, that would lead to MORE whining. You'd also have some users who'd lie about the version of s/w they have (presuming Dish takes their word for it and doesn't check from their end) and what would that gain them ?

Or part of the order process could be Dish pushing the software needed to operate the part they shipped to the customer so it works when the customer receives it. They are certainly able to push software to turn on or off programming to a certain account/receivers and to new accounts so this should not be that difficult.

From what I gather in the rest of this thread, the more often you post this - the more likely Dish is to put your system on the upgrade list!
LMAO

For the others who corrected him, he was being facetious. :)

i installed a new hopper a few minutes ago and it updated to S230, i'm going to add the OTA dongle right now

i installed a new hopper a few minutes ago and it updated to S230, i'm going to add the OTA dongle right now
Thats one way to get the software in a fashion in which you will know you will get it, call up dish tell them you have a hard drive failure on your hopper and have them send out a new hopper and it will download the new software. There problem solved!

Thats one way to get the software in a fashion in which you will know you will get it, call up dish tell them you have a hard drive failure on your hopper and have them send out a new hopper and it will download the new software. There problem solved!

thanks for your suggestion, but that will not work for me since i'm in PR, it will take from 5 to 7 days for the hopper to reach me. i think i will get S230 on my other hoppers tonight or monday. worst thing scenario is that they send a remanufactured hopper, mine are new and purchased

Last edited:
Jason Whiddon said:
Poll in the forum. Scientific. Once you vote on Mon that you don't, and then get it on Tues, how you suppose to change it?

Guess we need a daily SW poll thread. Lol.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

keckge said:

Lol. Lot of effort just to get OTA 2 weeks early. Besides, I've seen a few posts of new Hoppers not getting the new SW. I know you're being facetious though, lol.

For those of you complaining about the wait for the new software, while Dish certainly didn't time the releases right (not surprising,) some of us had to wait 6-8 months for the module to be released. Another couple of weeks isn't going to kill anyone.

I've had the new SW for almost 2weeks now, and the software is pretty stable but not without it's flaws, such as blank OTA channels (only happened once though) and occasional Hopper sluggishness.

Dish has always rolled out their software slowly. They don't want a massive flood of trouble reports if something were to go wrong.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)