FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

Received my dongle yesterday and installed it. I like having OTA back in the house and now back to every room. Nice work DISH!!!!

rickhammond said:
Woo hoo! Finally got the 230/278 update! I can't wait until I get home from work to install my OTA dongles.

Same here. The strange thing is that I was up for the 1AM update check before going to bed and nothing happened at that time. Then I got up and the new software welcome screen popped up.

This tuner seems very strong and stable so far. I'll test it out more later. It is getting my CW station, which is about 30 miles away, at a signal solidly in the 70s. The HR-20 always read that channel in the 50s and never could lock it in for long. Hopefully it will be good this evening too.bthe other locals are about 3 miles away and seem to be perfect. Literally. 100 on the meter and no weird glitches that would imply multipath from 6AM until now at least.

Hopefully this means that a significant amount of Hoppers got the update overnight. I know that I'm happy mine did.

This tuner seems very strong and stable so far. I'll test it out more later. It is getting my CW station, which is about 30 miles away, at a signal solidly in the 70s.
Agreed. 722K rarely found a distant station from me (also CW) . The Module did and is rock steady.

I got the update also. I have a very high Receiver ID number. I bet they have them all upgrading now. If you missed it make sure you have NO recordings set for from Midnight to 4 AM just to make sure your covered for the 1am update window and of course use the power button so the green lights are all off (Hoppers and Joeys).

Yes and yes :) . Ethernet and WiFi aren't supported by Dish though, so you'll have to troubleshoot any problems that arise on your own. That being said, I have a Joey on WiFi and it's never had any major issues.

I have been running a tv in an area where I cannot physically run cables using a wireless game adapter from Linksys. It has worked just as well as being connected via cable. Might even put a tv in the kids tree house this summer this way.

This OTA Module is awesome it makes my antenna pick up all kinds of things it never did before. I now get everything available in my area.

I picked up all the locals (28) but I'm now seeing the black screen when I tune an OTA channel. I'll wait and see if it is corrected by the nightly update.

thomasjk said:
I picked up all the locals (28) but I'm now seeing the black screen when I tune an OTA channel. I'll wait and see if it is corrected by the nightly update.

Also can be fixed by rebooting the Hopper.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Wow this tuner is so much better that the Directv AM21 , the HR20 and the old Dish 722 OTA tuner. I have tried them all. With multi pathing its the best. I am pulling stations from 60 miles in the nearby DMA

Wow. It's been quite awhile since I popped into the forums.
This was the announcement I have been waiting on.
Guess it is finally time to ditch my 722k and get a Hopper system.

Have to echo the feedback that the Hopper OTA is stronger than my 722 was. One of my local OTA stations on the 722 came in around 60-65 for signal and was unwatchable. On the Hopper, it is upper 70s and has been just fine.

NOW that I have OTA, I'm glad I upgraded. I was still skeptical prior to getting it yesterday.

I'm going to up grade from my 722 to a Hopper. After reading through this thread I am surprised that I can't just call Dish, request the Hopper with the OTA dongle and have the installer hook it all up and test it.

I'm going to up grade from my 722 to a Hopper. After reading through this thread I am surprised that I can't just call Dish, request the Hopper with the OTA dongle and have the installer hook it all up and test it.

Contact a DIRT member for your upgrade. They can order the OTA tuner for you in parallel with the upgrade order. I recommend waiting 24hrs before adding any features. It takes Hopper 24hrs to download everything. The OTA tuner is basically plug and play and will prompt you to do a local scan.

I believe Scott indicated that it was something like a soft launch for satguys type crowd and not a full rollout of the product. I'm sure that will change at some point of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts