Fox is attacking the Hopper, Sling Adapter and Dish Anywhere now

Playing devil's advocate here on the iPad transfers: What is to stop someone from transferring shows to a friend's iPad? EHDs are tied to the account and can only be played on the receivers on that account, so there is no chance for sharing/distributing there. But it appears to be on the iPad.

True you could probably do that but the app is designed so that the shows expire if you don't connect back to your Hopper after 30 days.

Sent from my jailbroken iPad 4 using Forum Runner

The transfers portion of that might be a sticky point. There again if Fox was to push the issue that it's unauthorized copying then they could always flip the switch that HBO uses where when it's copied to your device it removes it from the hopper, then it's not a copy, it's a transfer.

Now here's what really kicks me. Fox broadcasts all of their shows for free, over the air, and all you need is an antenna to pick up the show. Once it's in my house, I can put any type of recording device I want to record it, copy it, distribute it how ever I want. Oh, I forgot about torrents. The networks see the Hopper as their competition, and it's not. Piracy is their competition. Many people will look towards illegal sources to get the show ad free if they are not allowed to do what they like with the content.

Sling has been out for a long time, and they have not tried to get rid of them until now. I could see how if they win they will go after Sling and the Nomad citing this win as the basis of their claim. If I was the judge I would ask the question of if what Dish is doing, why did they leave the Nomad and separate Sling alone for so many years. (there may have already been legal battles on that, which will help Dish, I just don't know them)

I believe FOX is right, Dish is wrong with what they have done on copyrights and contracts with the AutoHop and the hoppers with sling. I just hope if they lose in Cali they are forced to block them all over the country and will have to rebuild these pcs of junk. Perhaps this time they can make them work like Direct's SWM and only require 1 cable from the dish or download software faster than the old receivers from the late 90's.

That just may be the most lame and honestly off topic response to the Fox suit. What the he** does the speed fast or slow or how many cables 1 or 2 or 3 have to do with time shifting?

That just may be the most lame and honestly off topic response to the Fox suit. What the he** does the speed fast or slow or how many cables 1 or 2 or 3 have to do with time shifting?

Started out with "I believe FOX is right" thus on topic.... leading down to setup and workings of the system doesn't hurt nothing or go off topic.

The truth is, Fox doesn't sell the Entertainment to to viewer.. they are in the business of selling THE VIEWER to the Advertisers. And the fact that Autohop is making it harder for them to access their product (again, us), they're calling foul. I am not a commodity, and therefore, I couldn't give two sh*ts about their marketing penetration.

I still only watch a few shows that are recorded with PTAT, and most of those are watched the same night it records, thus 'hopping' the commercials is a manual thing, and I almost always over-skip and have to back-skip, which is just a waste of time.

When I do get to use the auto-hop, it makes my viewing experience much more enjoyable.. those commercials get skipped regardless, because commercials suck, and since Dish is in the business of selling the Experience, they make their products to enrich our entertainment.

And what makes it different then the DIRECTV NOMAD which does the same thing and has been out for close to 3 years?

It does not cut commercials...

If the Hopper did not cut commercials, they would ignore it. I would not say care less, but they at least would go along with it.

Does the transferred program autohop?

they act like they have anything worth watching....I watch SOA on FX, but that is about it....who cares if you are watching Glee or played out American Idol on your ipad.....

and sports, sure, but if they are not live, no big deal...

they act like they have anything worth watching....I watch SOA on FX, but that is about it....who cares if you are watching Glee or played out American Idol on your ipad.....

and sports, sure, but if they are not live, no big deal...
Would you Please use Caps and periods! IOW, proper sentences.

I read an article a few years ago that explained why Sling was absolutely legal while all other place shifting tech could not be said to be so absolutely, and this is one reason Dish bought Sling because it was bullet proof. This is also why NONE of the broadcasters, program providers, or content owners ever when after Sling because they knew they would surly lose. I don't remember what the key reasons were for Sling being bullet proof, but perhaps one of our many posters can find that article.

Now, the point from Fox is that such place shifting goes beyond the negotiated rights to retransmit to sat subscribers in their homes. However, legal PRECEDENT (Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor being an adherent to precedent as just one example) is really against Fox's claims. This is all about pouring on the legal pressure upon Dish, but they forget, this is Charlie, the old dog with a bone who won't let go till the very end when it comes to this kind of litigation. This is the staff of life for Charlie. You know he's loving every minute of this.

It does not cut commercials...

If the Hopper did not cut commercials, they would ignore it. I would not say care less, but they at least would go along with it.

Does the transferred program autohop?

Yesterday's new complaint by FOX against the Hopper had NOTHING to do with ads.

The complaint was over being able to transfer recordings from your dvr to your iPad. Which is the same thing the Directv Nomad does.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yesterday's new complaint by FOX against the Hopper had NOTHING to do with ads.

The complaint was over being able to transfer recordings from your dvr to your iPad. Which is the same thing the Directv Nomad does.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I agree but FOX is out to get the hopper any way possible because of autohop. I do not think they would have filed any suit about the iPad transfer or sling if the Hopper was not broadcast enemy #1 and must be taken out by any means necessary.

I agree but FOX is out to get the hopper any way possible because of autohop. I do not think they would have filed any suit about the iPad transfer or sling if the Hopper was not broadcast enemy #1 and must be taken out by any means necessary.
Which is why they will look so stupid. They cannot even think logically and try to counteract in a logical way.

I think it is to the point that they have a team of lawyers looking at every possible avenue to kill the hopper. At least Dish is a multi billion dollar corporation that will not roll over and submit. If they were a startup they would probably be out of money by now.

Next FOX will sue Dish over the VIP Series because it has two tuners built in, and FOX will want a fee per receiver in each household. Then they will sue over the use of OTA Modules because it's a back door for Dish subs to access their affiliates during times of program disputes. Then they will add a Kangaroo as a new mascot and sue over the logo for the Hopper/Joey.

As many of you said. They can't win Autohop, so they will throw everything including the kitchen sink at Dish hoping to get "revenge". When that fails, they will pull a CSN Philly and price all their networks off of Dish.

They are money hungry. Have you ever tried to access their programming through cable's On Demand? They disable the fast forward feature and make On Demand subs watch the commercials. I'm personally ready to dig up an old VCR and some VHS Tapes. Then I can fast forward as much as I want, and FOX can piss and moan all they want. You want to save money, STOP PAYING USELESS ANNOUNCERS LIKE JOE BUCK! He's a waste of money all on his own.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts