FOX News Channel/DISH dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Again, it went right over your head. I have called in the past and have gotten credits. I was being a bit sarcastic. However, I was quite serious when I suggested that this forum be restricted to current Dish subscribers. Trolls like you should go away!

Reactions: ChadT41
I think the bigger deal is not the amount of time. It's that he is claiming Dish took down the channels and then told everyone Fox did. You're probably right though. They probably would have required that Dish take them down at midnight anyways.
Dish took them down ten minutes before Fox would have pulled the plug. Probably was some technical logic for that. And regardless, IT DOES NOT MATTER ONE IOTA!!! There was no extension to pull out from.

Reactions: stardust3
I look at it like this: I pay, through a contract that's required to obtain service, for a programming package that includes certain channels. In this case my package includes Fox News. I'm sure there's small print in my contract saying that delivery of channels is subject to change blah, blah, blah. The bottom line is I pay Dish to deliver the channels they promised. I understand that stuff happens and deals are not always easily made, but I expect them to do the dirty work to keep these channels available. Dish's history of being almost constantly in one of these squabbles makes it hard for me to swallow the claim that it's always the fault of the channel in question.

I just got a credit for their disruption with the CSN regionals that affected my Center Ice package. I'll give them a week or so to see what comes of this situation with Fox before I get on the phone about further credits...which I'm a little surprised to see here that they're willing to stack on top of each other.

Dish took them down ten minutes before Fox would have pulled the plug. Probably was some technical logic for that. And regardless, IT DOES NOT MATTER ONE IOTA!!! There was no extension to pull out from.
No technical reason I can think of. IMO, it was "probably" a power move by Charlie and Dish to show some leverage.

Unfortunately, it makes Fox correct when they say Dish removed the channels. If Dish would have waited until the stroke of midnight, then Fox could not rightfully make that claim. It would have been Fox forcing the removal contractually.

No technical reason I can think of. IMO, it was "probably" a power move by Charlie and Dish to show some leverage.

Unfortunately, it makes Fox correct when they say Dish removed the channels. If Dish would have waited until the stroke of midnight, then Fox could not rightfully make that claim. It would have been Fox forcing the removal contractually.
An intimidating 10 minute power move?

How much has Charlie lost so far from this gambit? In terms of service credits and cancellations, easily $5 million so far, maybe $10 million. Who will say "Uncle" first?

The funny thing about these threads is that history tells us these channels will be back. No doubt about it.
And, there will be a yearly price increase in 2016, just as in 2015, to pay for it.
It's just a matter of how long, and how much.

People should just take advantage of credits to make up for the wait and eventual price increase. And, find alternatives for this programming, of which there is plenty, unlike with some of the other outages/disputes we have been subjected to.

The Blaze and Newsmax offer opinion and news geared for those who enjoy FNC. And, CNBC is available for those interested in business and finance.
Of course, CNBC isn't filled with as much political opinion as its counterpart. But, a business/finance channel shouldn't be filled with that stuff anyway.

How much has Charlie lost so far from this gambit? In terms of service credits and cancellations, easily $5 million so far, maybe $10 million. Who will say "Uncle" first?
Fox closes the door to Dish over Network channels unrelated to this particular channel, and it is Ergen's "Gambit"?

But you don't have Dish anymore, so you can quickly switch to a new provider and find out whether FNC supports Obama's latest policy decision. I know I'll be on pins and needles just waiting to find out, but I'll have to go to the website to see if they agree with Obama or not.

Reactions: WXIK K-96
It's humorous how many posts, rants and raves there are about how Dish so going to lose so many subs, Fox is a bigger deal than CNN, has more viewers, has more loyal viewers, has fewer alternatives, etc, etc.

Most of it is true, but do folks honestly believe Dish wasn't aware?

Dish no doubt had projections of what to expect. As long as the credits/cancellations don't fall too far out of their projections, they will (and should) hold the course - and that comes from a Fox viewer.

Reactions: Tampa8
Just to add some facts concerning the ratings of FNC, CNN, FBN, CNBC, etc, which people seem to be throwing out a lot in this and prvious threads:
For Friday, Dec 19, all day:
FNC - 1,152,000
CNN - 388,000
MSNBC - 371,000
HLN - 255,000
CNBC - 179,000
FBN - 44,000

FNC is the clear leader in cable news. However, not as overwhelmingly so as its fans here like to believe. It has roughly 3x the viewership of CNN. But, if you also add HLN, FNC is less than 2x the CNN/HLN combo, which was the dispute du jour last month that the FNC fans said was irrelevant. Obviously, CNN/HLN has some relevance.

And, as for FBN, it is trounced in even greater measure by CNBC than FNC trounces CNN, with CNBC having roughly 4x the viewers of FBN.

So, everything is relative.

44,000 people watching FBN? Wow! More Americans watch Soccer than that.

Interesting numbers. So if all of FNC's viewers were now on Dish and all cancelled, that would be about a million subscribers. So much for the '50% of Dish subs watch Fox' stuff, huh?? :)
That's a bad interpretation. I watch Fox, but not daily.

There are no doubt many more than a million Fox viewers - even in the subset of Dish viewers. They just aren't all watching on a particular day (especially a slow news day). I don't mean to support the "50%" figure directly, just pointing out a snapshot of one day does not equate to the number of subs that watch the channel, want the channel, will switch because of it, or not sign up because of it.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if the 50% figure is not too far out of line, especially if re-stated as "50% of subs who watch cable news." That doesn't mean anywhere close to that number care enough to switch over Fox going dark.

There was a link I posted awhile back, Fox News top rated show, good ole billy boy, had 2.72 million viewers total. What's that equate to, when broken up by all the different media providers? I think the last number I saw, was 280 million TV subscribers in the US with traditional pay TV, so 14 million of 280 million, then 2.72 of 280 million, should be able to calculate it out.

Yes. They did it on THEIR terms. That kind of nonsense is done quite a bit in business.
It doesn't matter to normal folks like you and me. But, to people like Charlie, and much of the CEO class, it does.
From what I understand it was... "We want our signals off by Midnight tonight as the contract expires at 11:59PM."

DISH's reply... ok you want them off before Midnight... you got it they are off now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)