general question about dealer/installer and contract

cocoon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
If a customer cancels a contract at month 16 or 17 of a 18 month long contract does the dealer/installer get penalized?

Be sure you didn't sign an 18-month agreement with the dealer though. Many do this and can hit you with whatever fee they specify in their contract. Note, this is a separate contract than the one between you and Dish too.

A dealer generally doesn't know that the customer has cancelled after 360 days, because there is no chargeback. It's highly unlikely a retailer would charge a customer if they weren't notified by chargeback. The only exception would be if a customer has done an additional upgrade or dishmover within the past 180 days, and that upgrade charged back.

I've only read about these 2nd agreements that are with the dealer and I don't know how long they're for. If Dish doesn't do a charge-back after 12-months, it would be really sh*tty for a dealer to impose an 18-month contract.

Hmm gonna have to find my original contract. I'm pretty sure my dishnetwork dealer is cool but just in case.

Its a 360 day chargeback for a local retailer, 180 days for a sales partner like me.

Eventhough the dealer is on the hook for 12 months, they will word 3rd party contracts for 18 months so its the same as the 18 month contract you sign with DISH Network.

Its less confusion to the customer if they both say 18 months, than if one contract said 12 and the other said 18.

As long as the dealer is not getting charged back, then they are not going to enforce their contract. After the 1 year, there is no way for a dealer to tell if you disconnected unless they look at their residuals which is highly unlikely, and even if they did notice it on that report I doubt they would care.

Now the equipment chargeback is 180 days, everytime you do not pay your bill and the service is shut off for non-pay that chargeback period starts over again until you can keep it 180 consecutive days without being shut down.

If you did not pay your bill ontime and was being shut down every 3 months, technically the equipment chargeback is indefinite till you have satisfied the 180 consecutive day requirement.

But if you paid your bill ontime for 17 consecutive months, then you should be in the clear with the local dealer reguardless what the contract says!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)