GlobeCast? Looking for cheapest solution to get BVN (Dutch) - HELP I'm a newbie!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I get Dutch successfully from Telstar 12 including BVN, see

http://www.lyngsat.com/t12.html

This is my easternmost satellite from my location in Eastern Ontario. If you are located further west you may be stretching it.

I'm in Utah so I don't think that will fly. Galaxy 25 is what they say will do the trick. I've not purchased any equipment as of yet.

BVN is also on G-25 (97W or IA-5 or T5 or whatever this week's name is:D ). Much easier to get across the entire NA continent than T12.

Any cheap DVB receiver will get it with a 30" and up dish and a linear Ku LNB.

edit: saw your next post too late....

Where are you?

BVN is also on G-25 (97W or IA-5 or T5 or whatever this week's name is:D ). Much easier to get across the entire NA continent than T12.

Any cheap DVB receiver will get it with a 30" and up dish and a linear Ku LNB.

edit: saw your next post too late....

Where are you?

I'm in Utah, how about you?

GlobeCast is quoting $179 for a system excluding s&h - there are a couple "globecast authorized" dealers in my area (as I don't want to try to install this myself). I just want the cheapest solution. :) Thanks for the reply!

I am at the same longitude as you but much farther north.

Check out the site sponsors first. They have complete packages which might suit you.

Start with a 30 inch or larger dish. Almost any DVB receiver will be good: Pansat, Fortec, Coolsat, Viewsat.... Also read the review section here.

For one single channel you don't need a receiver with blind scan but in the long term you will want it. I started out in this hobby because my wife wanted BVN. Now I've got 4 dishes and 8 receivers.

I am at the same longitude as you but much farther north.

Check out the site sponsors first. They have complete packages which might suit you.

Start with a 30 inch or larger dish. Almost any DVB receiver will be good: Pansat, Fortec, Coolsat, Viewsat.... Also read the review section here.

For one single channel you don't need a receiver with blind scan but in the long term you will want it. I started out in this hobby because my wife wanted BVN. Now I've got 4 dishes and 8 receivers.

No kidding! Funny thing is my husband could care less (the Dutch half) - I find that my Dutch is slipping and I hate watching programs on the computer. That and our children aren't being exposed to it enough and BVN offers sesamstraat.

I appreciate the advise - I expect I could hire any FTA satellite dealer to install my equipment for me.

No kidding! Funny thing is my husband could care less (the Dutch half) - I find that my Dutch is slipping and I hate watching programs on the computer. That and our children aren't being exposed to it enough and BVN offers sesamstraat.

I appreciate the advise - I expect I could hire any FTA satellite dealer to install my equipment for me.

If a satellite dealer sells any FTA equipment they can certainly install or find an installer. Those that only sell DirectTV or Dish likely can't or won't as it is a little bit harder than pointing those tiny pizza dishes.

I'm not Dutch but my wife is and my 2.5 year old is teaching me Dutch these days. Sesamstraat is great. I also like Studio Sport and Sport Journal and BVN Voetbal (obviously easier for me to understand).

RNW is also on this satellite if you want to listen to Dutch radio. Of course you can also stream many Dutch radio stations off the internet.

Since the channel is free, check out the sponsers here. The globecast box has some flaws and you can get nicer receivers for the same setup price.

Since the channel is free, check out the sponsers here. The globecast box has some flaws and you can get nicer receivers for the same setup price.

Is there any particular one you like over the others (of the less expensive packages)?

If a satellite dealer sells any FTA equipment they can certainly install or find an installer. Those that only sell DirectTV or Dish likely can't or won't as it is a little bit harder than pointing those tiny pizza dishes.

I'm not Dutch but my wife is and my 2.5 year old is teaching me Dutch these days. Sesamstraat is great. I also like Studio Sport and Sport Journal and BVN Voetbal (obviously easier for me to understand).

RNW is also on this satellite if you want to listen to Dutch radio. Of course you can also stream many Dutch radio stations off the internet.

That's so sweet about your kid! My son spoke nothing but Dutch when he was first learning to talk but when we started him in daycare (after we moved to the US) , he totally quit. He's now 6 and has a sister who is 4. They know just a couple words now and my husband speaks fluent English - we've been lazy about speaking Dutch at home. I'm hoping having BVN on the TV might help us focus on speaking Dutch at home more.

Thanks again for all of your advice!

That's so sweet about your kid! My son spoke nothing but Dutch when he was first learning to talk but when we started him in daycare (after we moved to the US) , he totally quit. He's now 6 and has a sister who is 4. They know just a couple words now and my husband speaks fluent English - we've been lazy about speaking Dutch at home. I'm hoping having BVN on the TV might help us focus on speaking Dutch at home more.

Thanks again for all of your advice!

This site is the best for quality advice. Let us know if and when you get things working. It is only a matter of time until you start wondering what else you can get off of FTA satellite. :)

Is there any particular one you like over the others (of the less expensive packages)?
Of all the site sponsors listed at the top of each page, the three who are into FTA equipment are: Sadoun, SatelliteAV, and GoSatellite.
You can look on any of their sites for package deals.
Let us know what you find, and maybe it'll generate other comments.

I know you're focused on -cheap- with one modest dish and one LNB, but we'd probably encourage you toward a two-LNB dish, or a dish with a motor for receiving more FTA satellites.
Of course, those can always be added later.

Have you looked at the FTA satellite lists for other stations you might be interested in?
Always good to know about...

I happen to watch BVN today on G25. I don't understand the language but the picture quality was outstanding and cought my attention. It felt almost like watching an HD channel.

The setup I was using was a Mercury II receiver, Sadoun ULN2 LNBF, HH100 motor, Fortec 100 Cm dish, and a Fortec 15" LCD display (Fortec used to manufacture these LCD displays 5 years ago).

What I recommend to you is our S1 Stationary system. BTW, we also sell the Globecast receiver. But unless you are subscribing to one of the channels Globecast provides, I don;t recommend that receiver for strictly FTA viewing.

@Mark_Calgary,

I am looking for somebody that would be willing to tape/record some Sesamstraat episodes now and then (at our cost of course).
We live in SW Ohio in an apartment that faces the wrong way for me to be able to receive BVN TV.

I'm Dutch and we have a 22 month old that is quickly 'americanizing' since he's watching shows like the American Sesamestreet. Nothing worng with that, but I would really like for him to also keep up with Dutch and an excelent way to do that is the Dutch Sesamstraat.

Hopefully we'll move in the future to a location where we can get BVN because I sure would like to see some Dutch soccer again (or soccer in general really!).

If you could reply that would be great!

Thanks,

Patrick

You can Fox Soccer Channel or Gol TV on many cable systems (and Dish Network and Directv).
You can get Setanta Sports over the Internet ("Setanta Broadband")
Plenty of soccer on the Internet, in fact.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone watching Unreliable Sources tonight (G10R)?

Geosat pro 1.2m dish u-bolts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)