Hard Drive Bargain Watch

I snagged an Iomega Prestige 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 34275 on Amazon.com for $68 w/ free shipping. It was one of their Daily Deals.

According to Dish's web site, a maximum 1TB drive is permitted. Are any of you with larger drives able to use more than 1TB?

What is the capacity of the internal HDD in the ViP722? 300GB? 500GB? I don't know.

I'm asking because I think the hard drive in my ViP722 is fixing to bite the dust. Sunday evening the receiver froze -basically freezing the video image on the screen, then going black for a minute or two and then completely resetting. This evening I've seen it freeze twice. Obviously the problem is worsening.

I don't have the external hard drive function on my receiver activated at this point. Is this an automatic type of thing that happens when you attach an external HDD to the receiver. Or do you have to talk to a Dish Network CSR to get them to remotely turn on the feature?

I guess I'm going to visit Wal-Mart or Sam's Club tomorrow sometime and pick up an external drive and back up my recordings before they become toast. The Western Digital "My Book" models seem to be good for their FAT32 formatting. I assume that's what the ViP722 needs.

What is the capacity of the internal HDD in the ViP722? 300GB? 500GB? I don't know.

I'm asking because I think the hard drive in my ViP722 is fixing to bite the dust. Sunday evening the receiver froze -basically freezing the video image on the screen, then going black for a minute or two and then completely resetting. This evening I've seen it freeze twice. Obviously the problem is worsening.

I don't have the external hard drive function on my receiver activated at this point. Is this an automatic type of thing that happens when you attach an external HDD to the receiver. Or do you have to talk to a Dish Network CSR to get them to remotely turn on the feature?

I guess I'm going to visit Wal-Mart or Sam's Club tomorrow sometime and pick up an external drive and back up my recordings before they become toast. The Western Digital "My Book" models seem to be good for their FAT32 formatting. I assume that's what the ViP722 needs.

I snagged an Iomega Prestige 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 34275 on Amazon.com for $68 w/ free shipping. It was one of their Daily Deals.

According to Dish's web site, a maximum 1TB drive is permitted. Are any of you with larger drives able to use more than 1TB?

Fur future reference, it only helps if you tell us the DAY OF the sale, so someone else can benefit from it......

MACMALL

A 1TB external HD $49............... Price of $99 with two $25 rebates. Good through 10/31/10. Free Shipping. 500GB net of $39..........

If I remember correctly, it prompts you to agree to the one time $40 fee when you connect the external drive. It will then format your HDD. You'll see the fee on your next bill.

The Western Digital "My Book" models seem to be good for their FAT32 formatting. I assume that's what the ViP722 needs.
No, actually the 722 will reformat it ( to a Linux partition?). So you don't need to worry about what's there now.

That's a relief.

The Western Digital MyBook hard discs I just checked at Sam's and Wal-Mart were pre-formatted for NTFS. Previously MyBook external hard discs were formatted in FAT32, which helped make them compatible with a variety of other devices (such as a Playstation 3).

It kind of stinks that just about any type of external hard disc is formatted for Windows now. The drives don't really need to be formatted that either since Windows can do that on its own if need be.

BTW, if I pay the $40 activation fee for this dying ViP722 receiver, am I going to get hit for another $40 when hooking up the external drive to a replacement receiver/DVR?

Sadly, I think my efforts have been too little too late.

My ViP722 got as far as reformatting the new 1 terabyte external hard disc and then resetting (which I didn't want it to do after going through all the wait and hassle of getting it to reboot).

Usually the ViP722 would get as far as "3 of 5" on getting the signal from the satellite, then going black and resetting.

Then it finally rebooted, tried to download the guide but I canceled out of that, went directly to recordings and tried to copy something over to the ext. HDD. The receiver locked up a little way through the process. It hasn't rebooted successfully since.

I think the hard disc in the receiver is toast and I'm out $140 for pretty much nothing.

On top of that, I don't know how Dish is going to treat me in providing a replacement receiver. I'm a HD Absolute subscriber, plus have HBO. I've been with Dish since 1999. Don't know if that's going to mean anything.

Edit: I checked my billing. I assume the $6 per month DVR service fee will help me get the receiver replaced free of charge. Time to talk to a CSR!

Last edited:
Iomega Prestige 1TB, $59.99 at Staples through 10/16. Available in store. Picked one up today; installed, formatted, activated, and am using it without any problems.

If you pay the $40 fee can you hook up as many external hard drives as you want? Or is it $40 per hard drive?

Its $40 for any hard drive, on any receiver on your account, other than the ViP 211/211k. Those require another "DVR Enable" fee or some such. They are also not compatible with hard drives formatted with a ViP 612/622/722/722k.

Iomega Prestige 1TB, $59.99 at Staples through 10/16. Available in store. Picked one up today; installed, formatted, activated, and am using it without any problems.

Thanks for that tip. I grabbed the last one at my staples today. Activated and working great so far.

just picked up a Segate 2 TB HDD from Costco. $20 off total with tax and shipping...

$131.23

formatted fine, now just switching cables and putting everything from two 500 gig and one 1 TB drive on it. having to clear the DVR HDD download from old to DVR then upload to the new big drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts