Has anyone noticed the new 722k DVR menu?

So when is it going to come to any other receiver? Somebody has to know.

I got it yesterday. Looks nice and seems a bit easier to use.

But the problem of overpriced rentals is still there. Dish is the most expensive way I know of to rent any movies. :(

Ugh. I wish they'd ask us if we wanted new software. I came home and discovered my DVR menu looked something like out of Windows/386. WTF? Ugliest, most dated-looking thing I've ever seen. Plus a bunch of new crap I don't care about, and most definitely would rather not look at.

Box seems slower, doesn't always respond to remote commands, and worse, I'm seeing some weirdness on buffered playback (audio dropouts and such) that I'm hoping is coincidence and not related. Version shows as 667. Funny, I'm the worst one you could push an update to- no Ethernet, no phone connection, and the lowest tier of service there is.

Sheesh, it's like the old days of DTV and my TiVo. Deja Vu all over again. Gah.

Ugh. I wish they'd ask us if we wanted new software. I came home and discovered my DVR menu looked something like out of Windows/386. WTF? Ugliest, most dated-looking thing I've ever seen.
Too bad you're in the minority. Most people think the look is updated.

And why would Dish allow people to choose if the receiver software gets updated ? If there's a bug in the s/w and they fix it, what are people who deny the update going to do ?

More suggestions for new features:

-- (this is a repeat) When I enter the Dish On Demand section and enter my PIN, remember it until I leave the "app". Or, give me the option by asking "Do you want to remember your PIN for this session?" or something similar.

-- When a download is already in progress and I initiate a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th, etc, etc) download, on the screen that asks "Download now" or "Download later", make "Download later" the default button. Or better yet, make a setting somewhere for "Always download in order of selection", i.e. always queue downloads up.

-- When I start a download and leave the On Demand area and am watching regular TV, don't pop up a large window or one that requires me to respond. If I've started a download and went on to other things, I'm obviously letting it work in the background. Instead, how about a (transparent) "balloon" that comes up from the bottom to tell me it's done and it goes away on it's own after a few seconds ?

reboot time

Ugh. I wish they'd ask us if we wanted new software. I came home and discovered my DVR menu looked something like out of Windows/386. WTF? Ugliest, most dated-looking thing I've ever seen. Plus a bunch of new crap I don't care about, and most definitely would rather not look at.

Box seems slower, doesn't always respond to remote commands, and worse, I'm seeing some weirdness on buffered playback (audio dropouts and such) that I'm hoping is coincidence and not related. Version shows as 667. Funny, I'm the worst one you could push an update to- no Ethernet, no phone connection, and the lowest tier of service there is.

Sheesh, it's like the old days of DTV and my TiVo. Deja Vu all over again. Gah.

Hit the red button on that box and see if it helps. Often after a new s/w dwld things slow down etc.
I thought it was funny that you compared it to Windows/386. Would that be W 1, 2, 2.1, 3.0 or 3.1? JK :D

It sticks out like a sore thumb when you hit the DVR button. It is a lot better than it was before, functionally. I hope they have plans to update and unify the entire UI to match.

I think it's really sloppy to implement a new user interface on just one screen and leave the others untouched. As a software engineer, I appreciate the value of a consistent user interface. The 722K grates on me now every time I use it.

It sticks out like a sore thumb when you hit the DVR button. It is a lot better than it was before, functionally. I hope they have plans to update and unify the entire UI to match.

I think it's really sloppy to implement a new user interface on just one screen and leave the others untouched. As a software engineer, I appreciate the value of a consistent user interface. The 722K grates on me now every time I use it.
Heh, Dish are you reading this ? I mentioned this the same day I rec'd the update.

hate to say it, but this is about as low on the totem pole as it can get. On Demand is better then it was. Asthetics are the least of Dish's worries, eh?

Reminds me of my Air Force days. It didn't matter if it worked, as long as it looked pretty..... ;)

Reminds me of a guy I knew in high school. His theory with cars engines was, "If it can't go fast, just chrome it!" So when you looked under the hood of his car everything was all chromed out...have to admit it looked great.

Ghpr13:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts