Has anyone noticed the new 722k DVR menu?

You're referring to the 'on demand' menus of the DVR. That's true, it is. Problem is, they should have left the 1st DVR screen you get to when you hit the "DVR" button with the previous look.

hate to say it, but this is about as low on the totem pole as it can get. On Demand is better then it was. Asthetics are the least of Dish's worries, eh?

Yeah, I like the new On Demand. But why change the first menu so that it doesn't match anything else? If it's really that hard to change the look, then do it inside the On Demand module only.

The VIP series has always been a top-notch DVR with really good software (at least relative to the DirecTV and cable competition). Now it's looking sloppy. User interface is extremely important, especially in a consumer-oriented piece of electronics.

i guess i'm blind cuz i can't see that much of a difference. could somebody point out what it is you are talking about? maybe that way i can forward the request...

Push DVR once. Note the graphics design. Gradient and softer (?) colors. Push DVR a second time. Does the 2nd screen look like the first ?

This is a very gradual change toward full implementation of Google TV integrated with the 722k. One screen at a time, slight color and feel changes until pretty soon you don't even realize it's switched to Android and you're holding a remote with a full keyboard. It's easier to de-bug this way as well.

Push DVR once. Note the graphics design. Gradient and softer (?) colors. Push DVR a second time. Does the 2nd screen look like the first ?

pretty much. about the only thing I notice is the actual DVR menu has rounded edges around the boxes and looks kinda like a :censored: Mac.

i even asked the wife for her thoughts and she told me to "quit bugging her with silly stuff like that."

it is possible that my experience is different than yours for reasons that I can't go into...:shh

pretty much. about the only thing I notice is the actual DVR menu has rounded edges around the boxes and looks kinda like a :censored: Mac.

i even asked the wife for her thoughts and she told me to "quit bugging her with silly stuff like that."

it is possible that my experience is different than yours for reasons that I can't go into...:shh

This post made me realize how happy I am that I am no longer married. :D

The reason I say I wish they'd ask us is because perhaps some of us like our box the way it is. Maybe I don't want new "features" like a banner ad at the bottom of my program guide, sucking up useful screen real estate that used to be used to show an additional channel. Particularly when it's an ad for someting I can't do, since this box has no connectivity at all. Perhaps I might not like the fact that the box is now noticeably slower, even after a reset. Perhaps I don't like the fact that every new thing implemented is something I won't use, ever. Can I turn this stuff off so that I don't have to look at it? No.

This sort of thing would be equivalent to Microsoft taking an XP machine and "upgrading" it to Vista without telling the owner, while it was on overnight. Wouldn't you be bothered?

As far as the look goes, it looks incredibly dated. I hit my DVR button and now I get this gray-bluish, weird, 80's AOL-sh, low-res looking monstrosity that doesn't look like anything else in the interface (once upon a time, I designed interfaces), full of stuff I don't care about. It looks like a blue door out of the junkyard stuck on a red car.

I'd just wish for more features along with junk like this. For example, how about an indicator next to a list of programs in a group that shows whether the program is watched, unwatched, or partially watched? How many times have you gone to a list of programs and spent five minutes trying to figure out which are the ones you've seen? And, I'd like a toggle the determines what the unit does when you're done watching a program in a group. This is a corollary of the above. When I try to figure out if I've seen something, I might have to watch a snippet of it. When I stop watching it, does the display go back to the list of programs in the group I was in? NO! It goes back to the main list. I have to navigate back to the group, drill down to where I thought I was, and do it all over again. I'd like to be able to set a flag that says, "Stay in the group until navigated out." There's several other things that scream out, "FIX ME" after using this box for just a couple of days that I would think anyone using it would notice.

Oh well.... can't stand in the way of progress.

And you don't remember Windows/386? I have the floppies right here! <grin>

Last edited:
Maybe I don't want new "features" like a banner ad at the bottom of my program guide, sucking up useful screen real estate that used to be used to show an additional channel... Can I turn this stuff off so that I don't have to look at it? No.
The banner ad can be turned off. (It never showed up on my 612s.)

I thought we had one guy say he had it. I certainly don't. And to be quite honest, there's really not much of interest in this update for me. Just don't do movies much, and when I do, it's Blu-ray.

I thought we had one guy say he had it. I certainly don't. And to be quite honest, there's really not much of interest in this update for me. Just don't do movies much, and when I do, it's Blu-ray.
There are quite a number of TV shows available though. Free too, of course. Interestingly, I get on-demand channels that I don't subscribe to, i.e. Nickelodean (we have Absolute).

Just noticed I received the update over night. Looks pretty good. I'd still like to see better organization. For example, when I view the on demand content for a channel, it'd be nice to have all of TV show 'X' under a category named 'X' instead of having all these different shows in one grouping.

Also noticed a bug when viewing the Discovery Channel listings. I was looking for episodes of "The Colony" and found 3, but one had an image for some other show/movie named "The Colony", yet the description was clearly for the Discovery TV Show.

EDIT: FYI, I have a 722k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts