HBO now $18?

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
I was doing the half price premiums for 6 months for all of them but Cinemax and they just ran out so I logged in to drop a few of them. I was surprised to see that HBO has now gone up from $16 to $18. I haven't seen this mentioned around here so I was wondering when this change happened.

HBO has been the most expensive premium for as long as I can remember but I have subscribed for years because of the original programing. I still think they are the best premium but it's pretty hard to say they are worth $5 more per month than the rest of the premiums. $18 per month is pretty steep when Starz, Showtime, and Cinemax are $13 and EPIX is $7. I planned to keep HBO and Starz but now it looks like it will probably be Starz and EPIX. I'm done with HBO until Game of Thrones starts back up.

king3pj said:
I was doing the half price premiums for 6 months for all of them but Cinemax and they just ran out so I logged in to drop a few of them. I was surprised to see that HBO has now gone up from $16 to $18. I haven't seen this mentioned around here so I was wondering when this change happened.

HBO has been the most expensive premium for as long as I can remember but I have subscribed for years because of the original programing. I still think they are the best premium but it's pretty hard to say they are worth $5 more per month than the rest of the premiums. $18 per month is pretty steep when Starz, Showtime, and Cinemax are 13 and EPIX is $7. I planned to keep HBO and Starz but now it looks like it will probably be Starz and EPIX. I'm done with HBO until Game of Thrones starts back up.

I believe Scott mentioned it a month or so ago. The price change was effective 10-1.

Bobby said:
To you...

and you.

To me it's worth it, it has excellent programming and I don't even need to think about auto-hop... :D

To you...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

To me $18 per month is too much.I really like GOT and hbo ondemand hbogo but can't feel good about paying $18 a month for it.

Teehar said:
To me $18 per month is too much.I really like GOT and hbo ondemand hbogo but can't feel good about paying $18 a month for it.

I have had HBO for years. It is by far the best premium for us. I usually have one of the other premiums as well but it's on and off. I'm going to do a Dish chat and see if they will let me do half off again. I doubt they will give it to me since I just had it half off for 6 months but it's worth a try. If they say no I will just remove it until Game of Thrones starts back up and stick with Starz and EPIX until then.

$18 is just too much for me to justify when most of the movies are just repeated on the different HBO channels. Now I will just subscribe for specific series and cancel when they are over.

I have had HBO for years. It is by far the best premium for us. I usually have one of the other premiums as well but it's on and off. I'm going to do a Dish chat and see if they will let me do half off again. I doubt they will give it to me since I just had it half off for 6 months but it's worth a try. If they say no I will just remove it until Game of Thrones starts back up and stick with Starz and EPIX until then.

$18 is just too much for me to justify when most of the movies are just repeated on the different HBO channels. Now I will just subscribe for specific series and cancel when they are over.

Yea besides GOT and maybe True Blood I can live without HBO.Now if they had a few more entertaining original shows I would be interested.At one point I believe they had Carnivale,The Sopranos,Deadwood,and either Band of Brothers or the Pacific on in the same year.That was pretty good value.

my buddy has HBO and 3 of us piggy back on it for HBOgo with Roku...gotta love Boardwalk Empire. Best $5 a month I can spend

Well I just did a Dish chat. I asked if there were any current offers for HBO because my bill is over $140 per month and that is too much. He asked me if I watched The Walking Dead without me even bring it up. I told him I did and he offered me 6 months half off HBO and Starz again. I just finished up 6 months half off on both of them about a week ago and they offered it to me again. I also have a few months left on 6 months half off EPIX, Showtime, and Multi-sport so I am getting some pretty good credits right now. Just a heads up for those of you who got in on the 6 months promo early and had it expire recently.

HBO by itself is getting pretty expensive but combined witht the other premiums the price has not changed. The fact that they have HBOgo makes it a pretty sweet package though.

HBO by itself is getting pretty expensive but combined witht the other premiums the price has not changed. The fact that they have HBOgo makes it a pretty sweet package though.

That is a good point. I wish Showtime had a similar service. I would like to watch Dexter but I've only seen the first 2 seasons and Homeland, which I haven't seen any of. I can't find a good way to watch older seasons of Showtime series like you can with HBO though. If they would let me watch their back seasons I would be glad to help out their ratings on their current seasons.

king3pj said:
That is a good point. I wish Showtime had a similar service. I would like to watch Dexter but I've only seen the first 2 seasons and Homeland, which I haven't seen any of. I can't find a good way to watch older seasons of Showtime series like you can with HBO though. If they would let me watch their back seasons I would be glad to help out their ratings on their current seasons.

Showtime does have a similar service called Showtime Anytime it's just not available for a lot of providers yet.

HBO isn't even worth $8 a month to me anymore, their current original programming does nothing for me. I dropped it as soon as the last season of Eastbound & Down ended. Haven't missed it at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts