HI ALL!. New here and new to DISH after having VOOM!!!

moonbaseone

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
Hi All. I am new here. So far I like the board and decided to join.

Ok, I have the Dish Network with the HDTV package. I had VOOM and am dissappointed that they are no longer with us. I think they had a GREAT picture, especially for the local channels.

OK, Quick question. While I like DISH and like how it's setup and the channel selection(I have the 180 channels package), I wish they had more HD Channels, like VOOM. I also wish I could get the local channels in HDTV(When they broadcast it, ofcourse). This is the main reason I spent soooo much money on my TV.

SO, How do I go about getting my local channels in HD? Should I call DISH and tell them I need an off-air anntenna installed? I am willing to pay for it, that's not the issue.

ALSO, all of my VOOM stuff is still up, including the off-air attenna they had. Can I still use this, instead of having to pay for another attenna? Seeing as this one is no longer being used? And, will DISH Install an off-air attena, if I need one, for the locals to be in HD? I am in the Chicago area so I get the locals fine, just not in HD.

I called DISH 2x and at first, the lady said, that they would install an off-air attenna and I would have to make an appointment. I called later and the guy told me that they donot install off-air attenna. Who should I believe? The second guy also told me I could go with rabbit ears... I have a 50" SAMSUNG HDTV which is setup in the basement as part of my Home Theater system. My TV looks like CRAP with rabbit ears.

Also, I have my DISH through SBC

THANKS for any and all help!!!

If you were getting your locals OK with Voom, your existing antenna is fine. Go ahead and use the Voom OTA antenna with your Dish receiver. There's no need to buy another one.

Which Dish receiver do you have?

mike_johnson said:
If you were getting your locals OK with Voom, your existing antenna is fine. Go ahead and use the Voom OTA antenna with your Dish receiver. There's no need to buy another one.

Which Dish receiver do you have?

I have the DISh HD Reciever, the Dish 811 HD.

Also, i tried to plug in the coxial cable from my VOOM servive to the attenna port on the back of my dish reciever. It worked, but the channels were not clear and were not in HD on programs that I know were being broadcast in HD.

Sorry, but I am really new to all of this and I appreciate any help you guys can give.

I just want to be able to watch my local HD programs again.

It SUX that VOOM is no more. :(

The OTA antenna that Voom supplied is connected through a Diplexor that also has the Voom LNB on it. The little grey module that your coax cable plugged into on the back of the voom receiver would remove the diplexing and break it out to too separate signals (one for sat, one for OTA). What you need to do is modify the way the OTA antenna is hooked up at the VOOM DISH. Currently your Voom dish has a diplexing switch that connects to the OTA antenna and the Voom Dish LNB, and then has the coax cable that runs to your receiver. Take that cable and connect it directly to the OTA antenna (do not use the diplexor) and this should solve your pblm.

richard_rd said:
The OTA antenna that Voom supplied is connected through a Diplexor that also has the Voom LNB on it. The little grey module that your coax cable plugged into on the back of the voom receiver would remove the diplexing and break it out to too separate signals (one for sat, one for OTA). What you need to do is modify the way the OTA antenna is hooked up at the VOOM DISH. Currently your Voom dish has a diplexing switch that connects to the OTA antenna and the Voom Dish LNB, and then has the coax cable that runs to your receiver. Take that cable and connect it directly to the OTA antenna (do not use the diplexor) and this should solve your pblm.

Well, I was supposed to try what you suggested today after work but I couldn't because my friend with the ladder couldn't stop by till tomorrow. So, I was thinking and figured, if the Diplexor on the back of my VOOM box is needed to seperate the signals for the satalite and the OTA attenna, why not try plugging the Diplexor into the back of my DISH box and plugging the OTA cable into it directly.

And you know what, it worked like a charm. I can now get the local channels in HD and with crystal clear reception. I had to turn it alittle so it would fit snug on the back but it worked. So, now I don't really nead to plug the coxial cable directly into the OTA attenna on my roof, but I may do that when my friend is able to let me use his ladder again.

thought I would post this to help out anyone else who might be having the same issue.

-MB1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)