Hobbyist Open Source Satellite Receiver - Raspberry Pi 2???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And we also found out Dvblast has the word blast in it for a reason.
It runs in multicast mode only.
I think it did actual harm to my network by heating a chip. Even after rebooting everything
I have severe flakiness. Off to Amazon to do a network redesign.
Not for the home network that's for sure, it will bring it to a sudden halt, maybe even permanently!

For sure not running DVBlast again unless they write a unicast version. :)

Reactions: fred555
multicast will flood and crash wifi, many routers have an option to block multicast over wifi and keep it on the LAN only. But.. not all do.

UDL

I have run into a bottleneck during this project. After my run-in with DVblast my network has definitely flaked out.

I am in the process of ripping out my consumer grade devices and going with full on enterprise class components.
I already have a Cisco 2811 router inside my network that only houses my Call Manger Express for VOIP.
It will be replacing my Cradlepoint MBR95 3G router with the addition of a HWIC-3G-CDMA-V Module in the 2811.
I have used these modules before in a large network as automatic backup links to MPLS and they are definitely rock steady.
Next will be a Cisco 2960G 24 port Gigabit switch. Anyone wishing to upgrade to gigabit Ethernet, I recommend the Cisco 2960G series.
They come in 8, 24 and 48 port configurations. They are now reasonably price on Ebay. They are layer 2 only which is OK, since most of us
will still need a router at our network edge. The 3560 series are layer 3 (routing) and more expensive for that reason.

Have not decided on access points yet, since I have a one story house with attic, I will definitely be going with ceiling mounted models indoors.
Two indoors and one outdoor weatherproof model.

Well, I have been on Ebay all weekend trying to get a new network together. It has reminded me why I stay away from Ebay if I can, it is pretty nerve racking.
You always get outbid at the last few seconds. I won a best offer on a Cisco 3g module for my 2811 router. I miraculously won a Cisco 3560G 24 port Gigabit switch with POE! No more power adapters for my Cisco phones ( Yes I run VOIP to a SIP trunk all over 3G quite well), and Access points will be easier to power now.

Speaking of Access Points, is there anybody using the Ubiqiti AP-US model?
Amazon product ASIN B004XXMUCQ
They seem highly rated and Cisco 802.11ac or even n access points are way to spendy for me.

Just need to get a wall mounted 6-8 U rack similar to this:
Amazon product ASIN B0041W55YE
And this patch panel once my wallet stops smoking.
Amazon product ASIN B00005129E
Then you mount the switch directly below the patch panel and use 12 inch patch cables. I makes for a neat appearance and no wire management is needed.

If anyone is considering a Gigabit network I can make recommendations, give advice or even help with Cisco switch configurations.

Were you able to actually narrow down what flaked out in your network, Fred? Definitely a hardware issue?

Something has flaked out. I have an entire home office sitting empty since I built my house a few years ago.
It has given me the excuse and motivation to set up a first class network with top grade components.

Not really interested in troubleshooting a mish-mash network of non-manageable consumer grade components either.
I am a Cisco-Centric Network Engineer by day so I should have done this long ago. Cisco gear works and you can actually
debug quite extensively if there are any issues. For instance if you are experiencing an issue when using a Cisco switch, there are
quite a bit of parameters you can read that pretty much tell you where and what the issue is depending on direction and nature of error counts etc...

With the Pi for instance, you can read error counts on a switch port, make a tweak to the NIC parameters on the Pi, then see on the switch instantly if you have improved performance or not. On consumer grade stuff, you have no idea whats going on under the hood.
There are hundreds of debug parameters you can set that give you a live stream of diagnostic messages in an ssh session as they occur.

Consumer grade junk is nearly impossible to troubleshoot in this manner, and swapping out or replacing components is the only true way to find out sometimes. I just happen to be going the replacement route of all components entirely with decent gear. Now I will actually be able to do some real experimenting instead of dealing with issues. I can support multicast now too if I choose.

And while experimenting and using Cisco gear you can actually quantify parameters, like this graph of Pi Network Interface throughput:

3x.png

Last edited:
Reactions: N6BY
Yeah, I can understand about the upgrade deal and what you say about the consumer grade junk. I have two HP non-consumer grade switches that I use here and it gives you a lot more control over everything. Unfortunately, my equipment is getting old and needs upgrading, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, when something finally goes south, most of it'll be replaced. Cisco is what I'll be looking at when that time comes too.

Especially nowadays, with so many things connecting to networks! Here we have somewhere between thirty to forty network connected devices, about twenty or so hard-wired and then a ton of miscellaneous wi-fi. No good way to keep a hand on all of that with strictly consumer grade stuff!

Reactions: fred555
Yeah, I can understand about the upgrade deal and what you say about the consumer grade junk. I have two HP non-consumer grade switches that I use here and it gives you a lot more control over everything. Unfortunately, my equipment is getting old and needs upgrading, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, when something finally goes south, most of it'll be replaced. Cisco is what I'll be looking at when that time comes too.

Especially nowadays, with so many things connecting to networks! Here we have somewhere between thirty to forty network connected devices, about twenty or so hard-wired and then a ton of miscellaneous wi-fi. No good way to keep a hand on all of that with strictly consumer grade stuff!

Let me know when the time comes and I will be glad to help you set up a decent gigabit Cisco based network. I will be happy to create and pm you the configurations.

Reactions: . Raine
After spending most of the weekend on Ebay I managed to get out to the workshop.
Built a small aluminum cage about 2.5''x2.5''x 5 ''. Mounted the DC-DC converter boards
fed by 12v power over coax.

leds.jpg

5v for the Pi2 and 7.5v for the tuner.
The cage is really small but it looks bigger than it really is in the pictures.
Here you can see the components inside.

case.jpg

There is a 60mm 12v fan on order that mounts on top and blows down over the components.
I will separate the components to aid cooling
Some here have mentioned their tuner getting hot, I want to keep that to a minimum.
I also have some 6'' USB A to B cables on order for connecting the Pi to the tuner.

I will probably sleeve the cage with a section of 2 liter bottle, then
put the pretzel feed horn cover over that. Air will be sucked from the airspace
between the feedhorn cover and the sleeve then down through the
inside of the sleeve through the components. The Pi built in temp sensor
will show how effective the cooling is.
I will probably take off the boards, grind the rough edges and paint it black.

I am done on Ebay and have too many Cisco 1142N access points on the way.

Here is the final form. Still need to figure out the clear feedhorn cover and do the final wiring of the components.
Added a cooling fan on the 12v side also.

clnba.jpg clnbb.jpg clnbc.jpg clnbd.jpg

The wife says all I need to do now is load the plutonium core.

You need to add LED accent lighting too! :D

So one panel is the month and day and the other one is the year right. :D

You need to add LED accent lighting too! :D

So one panel is the month and day and the other one is the year right. :D

I was just thinking about that. A ring of LEDs around the base that run in a circular pattern!

Are you using stand alone ones or ones that need a Cisco controller?

It is just a matter of loading the correct IOS (firmware) as to whether to the unit is autonomous or needs a controller..
Most of the ones I ordered have LAP in the model number and require a controller.
You can also do the reverse, take an access point with an AP model number (autonomous) and make it lightweight, thus
requiring a controller.

http://dedyukhin.com/index.php/cisco-1140-series-ios-images
Instructions:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/doc...omous-conversion-and-vice-versa-access-points

I will be converting them to autonomous mode as I don't have a controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
Reactions: KE4EST
After Upgrading to Mumudvb 2.0.0 and using the following manual configuration, I am able to stream NASA on 105W C.
Code:
freq=3760
pol=v
srate=28068
lnb_type=universal
lnb_lof_low=5150
lnb_lof_high=5950
sat_number=4
autoconfiguration=none
multicast=0
multicast_ipv4=0
multicast_ipv6=0
unicast=1
ip_http=192.168.0.40
port_http=5000

new_channel
name=NASA TV
service_id=102
pids=288 289 292 293

I will be now going out and mounting the Tuner assembly on the dish.

I also noticed Mumudvb has put out a Debian package ver 2.0.0 specifically for the Pi.
I have not tried it yet since KE4EST and I built 2.0.0 the hard way.

See Pi version on this page.
http://www.mumudvb.net/node/25

To install a debian package on the Pi: dpkg -i /path/to/file

nasa.jpg

Screenshot of NASA Stream

Bench tested the assembly and was able to ssh to the Pi over wifi. Went ahead and mounted the assembly on the dish, complete with pretzel container cover.

lnb.jpg lnb2.jpg lnb3.jpg

Power over coax is 12v 6A over about 75 feet of coax. Bench tested with about 1 foot of coax. There are green LEDs lit on the downconverter boards but no voltage display.

lnb1.jpg

I guess its time for a waterproof box at the dish for the power supply and feed the assembly with a much shorter coax run.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)