Hobbyist Open Source Satellite Receiver - Raspberry Pi 2???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I installed my patch's to the kernel, so any tuner supported by v4l-updatelee will work on the RPi 2 as well. I'll post the steps to make the patch.

For ATSC I recommend the Hauppage 950Q, great tuner/demod. For satellite I'd recommend the TBS 5980. If you need something more high speed then the TBS5925, but for most users the TBS5980 is significantly cheaper and will tune pretty much everything the 5925 will with a few minor weird exceptions.

UDL

Now i just found this thread; and the cortex7 (35.00); in the estimated conventionally powered system; the power to items 5/12 under its own control is having the "draw"?

Looking at the back-up power control featurism; as communicated platform as the project gets larger using wind power generator for battery charging circuit to go off the grid power only by batteries;

these are the parts needed; and they attach to the pi2 usbx4 host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx networking machine; needing just for sleep memory; has sdram ddr3; needing battery; needing power curved info on this one; not the cortex intel? the 4 core 900 atom? Which? with? and why? again? 1) in order to wire and set into motion the windmill generator plant; the programmed control board and circuit must be hardwired into its position and on a board. At a higher cost than the processor; these buildings are very costly; especially Commercialy in Comm.)

Now what is it; just the platform board is 35.00; and the additional parts are electronics; sounds easy to put together.
USB II hookup has camera also ? and ATSC? and h.264 dvb-s2?
Keyboard program 56 bytes? + Video /audio server? + I/O senses? Featured mind? now how big does the image grow with all of the required hardware mind?

how far away is this hobby?

battery charger circuit pieces
a)
b)
c)
d)
mentality of my pc; which has my ubuntu and windows xp; and updates and not nearly as fast a board (running ddr2 800 mhz back to the bus memory on an 1066 front

Last edited:
This is way too cool!!!

Did you see how fine grained some of the settings are?
Voltage Increase
Command Order
Command Repetition
Diseqc Repeats
Weather OSD

I wont be able to actually test it until Sunday. I looks like it supports the 5980 out of the box but mine is still being shipped. The readme reads like its easy to add drivers. I will try with my 5922 and report back. I think the 5980 has hardware based blindscan, not sure about the 5922.

Last edited:
Reactions: richyrich
Yeah looking very good!

Yes, they do not have a satellite dish until somebody puts one in for them; but can use software and instructions to make the one they have work. The 2 boxes make the VGA?; i thought it was hdmi? Well anyways; somebody is using raspberry pi2...As soon as I get mine; it will work too; as soon as i can...........

Yes, they do not have a satellite dish until somebody puts one in for them; but can use software and instructions to make the one they have work. The 2 boxes make the VGA?; i thought it was hdmi? Well anyways; somebody is using raspberry pi2...As soon as I get mine; it will work too; as soon as i can...........i just want something sweet, one i can program myself; isn't this what opensource is about? The depends looks like whom the diapers are 4 however!

Please, a cortex7 or the 4 core?

Yes, they do not have a satellite dish until somebody puts one in for them; but can use software and instructions to make the one they have work. The 2 boxes make the VGA?; i thought it was hdmi? Well anyways; somebody is using raspberry pi2...As soon as I get mine; it will work too; as soon as i can...........

Video is showing install on different hardware, the reason for VGA. They make a version for many different hardware types.
Also I quickly loaded the Pi2 version this morning. It is different from the video as it is using software based on openelec.
When you first boot it recognizes the TBS-5980, get you to download a transponder list, then asks for you to scan the satellites of your choosing.

So the Pi2 version is a version of openelec modified to be satellite centric. Pretty neat, but not the frontend shown in the video as far as I can tell. I have other projects on the front burner so I will not go into detail on openpctv for a while.

Please any other members feel free to give openpctv a try and make a detailed report. I'm to busy right now to do so.

Reactions: richyrich
KE4EST has brought to my attention that the version of MuMuDVB (1.7.1) on my latest image, rev4, doesn't have the ability to control an 8 port diseqc switch. I installed with apt-get an really did not pay much attention up to this point what version was installed. As of yesterday, apt-get is still trying to install 1.7.1, two versions old.

The weather broke here a few weeks ago and you may notice I have been installing a new 10' Winegard. Also have been doing a total rewire of my outdoor Diseqc/Mutiswitch distribution box and rewiring most of my outdoor coax. This work will also allow me to have a sat feed in one of my dens that will be dedicated to Pi development. I have been swapping coax between a receiver and my Pi in one of my bedrooms so far during this project.

The plan this weekend to to work with KE4EST and get a newer version of MumuDVB working with an 8 port diseqc.
KE4EST has succesfully built version 1.7.2 ( I'm proud of Him!) and there is a 2.0.0 version but it lacks working compile scripts.
Tune-S2 by Updatelee looks to be on my list of To Do's also. Once we get the hang of controlling the tuner and switches,
exploration of viewing options seems to be the next logical step.

Reactions: KE4EST
We have run into issues and found out mumudvb will not do uncommited diseqc or even 22khz.
There is a version of Dvblast that does both, not on the VideoLan site but here:
https://github.com/gfto/dvblast

It won't do http unicast like mumudvb, so Im not sure this wont DOS my network.

I will probably put it in the next image if it pans out.

Install instructions:
Code:
Install the one prerequisite:

git clone git://git.videolan.org/bitstream.git
cd bitstream/
make install

Download and install dvblast like this:

wget https://github.com/gfto/dvblast/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
cd dvblast-master
make
make install

I installed a second C2pll on my 101W dish. Its pointed to 105W Nasa and will probably be where a do a direct attach of a Wifi Pi/Tuner combo:
Nasas.jpg

I will probably cover the gear with a small feedhorn cover and have the antenna sticking straight up

Reactions: KE4EST
I ordered two of these:
Amazon product ASIN B00BYTEHQOAnd this:
Amazon product ASIN B003TUMDWGThey will be used to provide 5v to the Pi and 7.5v to the tuner.

Then KE4EST found this:
Amazon product ASIN B00GZG7X9YVoltage and Amperage display, maybe next time, pretty cool.

I think I will go to the Juice aisle at the store later and find something to use as a clear feedhorn cover,
so you can see the voltage readings from the ground. I will put the supply in the multiwitch power supply box and feed the two boards with 12v over coax or something. I will go out to the dish and do a mock-up of the tuner and Pi and take some measurements for feedhorn cover length, with pictures of course.

Well the Spacex mission was scrubbed today, I was hoping to stream it over the dish mounted Pi. Just as well I think the DVB API on the image is too old to get some S2 channels. Could not tune in NASA. I will be doing some updating. I did manage to get my assembly out to the dish and comms over the wifi link were excellent.

ant.jpg

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Update:
Well was up to till after 4AM last night working with fred555 and after much hair pulling we got MuMuDVB 2.0.0 to compile. Had to do some code re-writing.
Now we have up to 16-port uncommitted Switches working!!
Ran into a minor snag, having trouble getting NASA on 105C to play. I can get the tuner to tune, but for some reason MuMuDVB is not building the tables properly.
Does any one know of anything thing strange about that transponder that would make a light go off in my head. I have different parameters I can change in the code, but trying to figure out why that one is giving an issue.
I told Fred I was going to bed at 4 but was up till after 5 trying to make it work but never had success getting a picture to play.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts