Home For First Time in 2 Months..And My Feelings

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Well, I came home from VT for the first time in about 2 months for the weekend. And I was looking forward to all the new HD since my offerings by Comcast at my APT are seriously lacking (ESPN, ESPN2, MHD, UniHD, HBO HD, Starz HD, Sho HD, DiscHDTheater, NFL HD, and my local HD channels).

I am so UNIMPRESSED with the new HD. And it's not Dish's fault, but seriously the HD on the new channels like Hist, Disc, etc look horrible IMO. I was looking forward to seeing something special, but i'll just stick with the HD channels that Dish had before Aug 12 when i was last at home.

it's b/c stations like Discovery, A&E and History think they can show 2 shows in HD per month and call themselves an HD channel. Or they stretch 4:3 content to 16:9, this is getting out of control like downrezzing HD PQ. But nothing is being regulated so they can get away with this B.S.

I'm a baseball fan and I don't have EI.. I'm a NFL fan and I don't have ST. I'm a college football fan, but nope, no Gameplan.

Whew, that's a load off, can't wait to tell the family there's no need to actually go to games anymore.. I'm not really a fan because I don't pay hundreds a year to watch them on TV instead.

Thanks for setting me straight.. All these years I thought I like sports, but apparently not.

There is HD on Discovery, Science, and AP most of the time I tune to it. I really love the addition of Science HD. Its great.

I don't watch much of VS, but the few times I tuned it in, it was in 4:3 upconvert. Still better than SD, but not overwhelming.

Science HD is one of my favorite channels, hands down. Several of the shows on Science are also Discovery shows though, and you're right in saying that it's HD most of the time. I haven't seen any stretchovision, etc. though I usually watch Science HD instead of Disc HD.

it's b/c stations like Discovery, A&E and History think they can show 2 shows in HD per month and call themselves an HD channel. Or they stretch 4:3 content to 16:9, this is getting out of control like downrezzing HD PQ. But nothing is being regulated so they can get away with this B.S.
The Discovery Channel is one of my favorites and so is The History Channel. Now both have upgraded their equipment to transmit the new standard digital signal and Dish is relaying that digital signal to our homes. This is Fantastic because as those channels acquire new programs made in HD we will see them that way the very first time they are aired.

It's not to good an idea to think about sitting down to watch THE HIGH DEFINITION CHANNEL that shows history stuff or THE HIGH DEFINITION CHANNEL that shows science stuff. You will be disappointed.

On the other hand if you are a history buff, or a science buff, now you have a better picture and in the future as programs are produced in HD you will have a great picture. And if in the mean time you are offended by "stretch-o-vision", I'm sorry. Avert your eyes.

Maybe we should contact the car manufacturers who pay for ads during stretch-o-vision.

I did see a few good programs on science hd. Animal Planet took me by suprise a few times as well. I certainly wish i had that many HD channels in my APT tho, Comcast sucks!
I hate to admit this in public but entire reason I wanted HD was to see the nature films that were shot with 1080i digital video cameras.

The wife and I are kind of nature nuts and love walking around and photographing wild life. But when I saw my first Padre game in HD it made me feel like I was there, as corny as that sounds. The same for Charger games.

So now I welcome every HD show though the big time TV dramas wouldn't need the HD treatment if it weren't for the black bars on the sides of the flat panels. And the news isn't any happier in wide screen... the world is in some kind of mess and 1080p news doesn't raise my spirits a bit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts