Hopper news updates

Got on the phone early this morning and am all set for upgrade with an install Monday, Very exciting!Only issue is when I was working with Dish customer service they stated I couldn't hook Hopper up to my lone remaining SD TV. I had to school him on the Joey output for SD. Luckily I did my homework up front on this site!!! Hopefully the reps don't loose upgrades for lack of knowledge of their new product!

Isn't this place the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Scherrman saw in another post that you've installed the 2H 2J. My installer caled today to confirm with me that the 2H's won't talk to each other (which I understood). Did you configure 1 Joey per Hopper or 2 Joeys on 1 Hopper? I was planning on just duplicating recordings on each until the firmware is updated to allow Joeys to communicate with either Hopper.

If you did put 2 Joeys on one hopper, would be curious as to how watching live TV with 3 different sources is working for you.

For some reason it linked the 2 Joeys to one Hopper. I wasn't able to link them to different Hoppers. I have to mess around some more with it.

In my setup it will work fine. The 2 Joeys are linked with the Hopper in the basement which never gets used. The Hopper in my living room is on it's own which works well. The Hopper in the basement is connected to the kitchen, bar and bedroom. I have the Hopper mirrored to my bedroom wirelessly. The kitchen and bar never need to record anything or watch something different unless we have people over so this setup still works great for me. I love having HD on every TV now. I even have PTAT running now and don't even notice it.

Can you try to chase play a PTAT title while it's recording and report the results? ie, can it be done, does it not use another tuner, etc. :)

Well I have PTAT on and I'm watching basketball on CBS and TNT. It shows that I'm only using 2 tuners and the third is still available.

I'll have to check that out tonight. I actually not sure it my PTAT was recording last night since I turned it on after 7pm.

When I went hoem for lunch today I was able to link my joey to the other hopper in my house and vise versa. I just had to do it from the joey.

So I have PTAT going right now. When I switch to one of the local channels it goes to that channel using my current tuner. One tuner is still being used to record PTAT. I did notice that when I hit the red shortcut button that brings up the tuners and I select the tuner with PTAT recording, I can select one of those show to watch live and it keeps me on the tuner recording PTAT. You could also do this by just going into the PTAT menu and selecting a show that is being recorded.

I hope this makes sense because I'm not sure how else to word it.

So I have PTAT going right now. When I switch to one of the local channels it goes to that channel using my current tuner. One tuner is still being used to record PTAT. I did notice that when I hit the red shortcut button that brings up the tuners and I select the tuner with PTAT recording, I can select one of those show to watch live and it keeps me on the tuner recording PTAT. You could also do this by just going into the PTAT menu and selecting a show that is being recorded.

makes sense to me

Part 2 of the test: While one viewer is watching live on the tuner that's recording PTAT, can another viewer also join that tuner and watch a different PTAT channel?

I am very happy to hear this - it's a big improvement from the Beta Hoppers. On those when PTAT was on it only showed 2 tuners in the list and hid the one PTAT was on. The only way to watch something from a PTAT channel without using another tuner was to start the recording from the list.

Part 2 of the test: While one viewer is watching live on the tuner that's recording PTAT, can another viewer also join that tuner and watch a different PTAT channel?

I doubt that will work but next time I get the chance I'll try testing it out. It won't happen today. I'll be celebrating St. Patty's Day all afternoon and night! Bring on the Guiness and Smithwicks.

BobaBird said:

I just tried it and it only takes up one tuner. Very nice!

I also noticed that PTAT seems to be a 3 hour recording with a pic that marks each shows location not individually recorded shows.

It will also be interesting to see how DO and DRA treat PTAT after 8 days when a timer has been set for one of those shows. I wonder because DO has a separate tab for PTAT but doesn't show timers under the DVR only under PTAT while DRA list all recordings in one list of timers and PTAT stuff. So in 8 days, when PTAT drops off shows DO looks like it may be in trouble while DRA may keep your listings. We shall see.

Last edited: