Hopper with VIP 772k: is it possible

Anxxxious8701

Jun 4, 2014
Hi Everyone. I have a question to ask. Is it possible for you to have a VIP 722k receiver and hopper on the same account? i just purchased a hopper and a Joey to replace one of the 722k receivers I have(4 tv setup). I've searched multiple threads and I've ran across some who say dish won't allow and then one or two people will say they have a hopper with another receiver working done. Some of the threads were outdated I think and I wanted to see has that policy change or is there a workaround. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ONLY non-hopper receiver allowed would be an OWNED 211/211K, as intended for the convenience of RV'ers, but not restricted to that.

Hi Everyone. I have a question to ask. Is it possible for you to have a VIP 722k receiver and hopper on the same account? i just purchased a hopper and a Joey to replace one of the 722k receivers I have(4 tv setup). I've searched multiple threads and I've ran across some who say dish won't allow and then one or two people will say they have a hopper with another receiver working done. Some of the threads were outdated I think and I wanted to see has that policy change or is there a workaround. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No work arounds, no policy changes. Up to 2 211's can be on a Hopper account, nothing else though.

Well aware of the limitation. Just still saying that if the customer pays the FULL cost or otherwise pays a local retailer to make a ViP box (liek a proper 2 tuner box such as the 722 or K) function in the same household as the Hopper system, with NO COST to Dish, Dish should allow the ViP box on the same account as the Hopper. Such a situation would be preferred for roommates or those renting a room because we would not want them having access to our Hopper network(s).

Reactions: TheKrell
"Dish should..."

Ain't gonna happen. Besides stacking concerns, there is the incentive to move everyone to Hopper, and if need be, a SINGLE other platform requiring sw updates.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I still don't buy that "stacking" claim, nor the "software update" claim. You can stack with Hoppers just as easily as with VIP receivers; remember there is no requirement to be broadband-connected. And Hoppers w/2 211's kindof invites stacking. Our older receivers aren't getting any new software love either, so that can't be it. There must be some other reason.

I still don't buy that "stacking" claim, nor the "software update" claim. You can stack with Hoppers just as easily as with VIP receivers; remember there is no requirement to be broadband-connected. And Hoppers w/2 211's kindof invites stacking. Our older receivers aren't getting any new software love either, so that can't be it. There must be some other reason.

I think the reason is to avoid confusion with customers. When a customer has an issue and they call Dish it will be too confusing to describe what the issue is with mixed equipment. It just makes more sense to keep the different technology separate from each other.

When a customer has an issue and they call Dish it will be too confusing to describe what the issue is with mixed equipment.

Well, that's more plausible than the "stacking" claim, but still not a very good reason IMHO. The Hopper/Joey system is already mixed and very complicated. Add in two 211's, and it's mixed up further. Dish already supports the old VIP series and the new Hopper series, and the use of switches and a whole boatload of interconnect hardware (such as nodes). I say mixed architectures are "no big deal" over what Dish already supports. Do Dish technical CSRs lack the grey matter to combine the two series? I bet they have what it takes.

I say mixed architectures are "no big deal" over what Dish already supports. Do Dish technical CSRs lack the grey matter to combine the two series? I bet they have what it takes.
Unfortunately, I think you'd be betting on a losing hand.

I think the biggest reasons they don't want to mix receiver types is to prevent service calls on combined installs where customers have moved the receivers around in the house and to keep costs down on installs

I think the biggest reasons they don't want to mix receiver types is to prevent service calls on combined installs where customers have moved the receivers around in the house and to keep costs down on installs
The new STANDARD is the Hopper. They do not want to keep chasing the old tech's tail.

Well, all I've got to say is that, if service personnel can't handle such a situation, then they can't handle the situation where a Joey and Hopper are moved around either. And can you imagine what will happen with a Super Joey install?

According to this page, they still offer many, many other receivers.
Yes, but think about it. Are they manufacturing any of them any more? No. Are they not throwing in Hoppers and Joeys for new subs? They still have to offers others as replacements and for special needs and requests, but most are near obsolete.

You have to go out of your way as a new customer to get anything other than a Hopper system. Will the online system designer ever recommend an older model?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)