Hopper with VIP 772k: is it possible

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
You have to go out of your way as a new customer to get anything other than a Hopper system. Will the online system designer ever recommend an older model?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
One sure way, I would think, is to tell them you don't have an HDTV.

Just tried it and it doesn't even ask.... I even told the configurator it's for (1) TV and it gives a pop-up with this text:

HOPPER® FOR 1 TV - Even with 1 TV, you can still enjoy the features and benefits of the most advanced Whole-Home HD DVR in the industry. However, if you wish to select another receiver, please contact us.​

They don't even ask if like to record shows (it used to in the past). Now, it's fine to give someone the receiver you (Dish) want to move the most, but this

DVR Service 12.00​

is pretty hard to impose on people who didn't ask for the option (or more likely, didn't understand it).

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
Yes, but think about it. Are they manufacturing any of them any more? No. Are they not throwing in Hoppers and Joeys for new subs? They still have to offers others as replacements and for special needs and requests, but most are near obsolete.
The point is, Dish continues to put them in NEW customers homes and promoting them so on the web page rather than offering the potential customer a ViP if that potential customer does NOT want a Hopper. I agree that Dish most likely wants to leave the other boxes behind and have the Hopper as standard. A smart thing to do. I just think Dish isn't doing a good job of it by featuring all the old HD boxes on a page of options for STB's as if all those boxes are state of the art and equally desired to be out in the customer's home.

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
IMHO, Dish does not want mixed install with the Hopper because of the high number of potential points of failure with such an install. I'm not suggesting that they would subsidize such an install (they sure as heck don't seem to want to as it would increase their cost to acquire that customer), but Dish would have to fix the problem (most likely the DPP44 or TWO of those switches in an install, but they just add more points of failure to an already Node and splitter and isolator and tap ridden install the Hopper alone requires) if a customer adds the Home Protection Plan, and I don't think Dish liked the cost analysis of such installs should something fail, and this would be even if the customer paid for full retail to add a ViP to a Hopper install. Adding a 2nd reflector to accommodate a ViP or having to fix whatever wrong with that 2nd reflector would also be a cost analysis report that would give Charlie heartburn.

So, I can see it from Dish's point of view. I just believe that if Dish policy were to absolutely never subsidize what it takes to ADD a ViP to a Hopper account by having the customer pay for everything through Dish or a local retailer, that would keep such installs to very miniscule minimum while still pleasing the customer with a special need or circumstance such as a family member moving in for some time during these economic times and we don't want them having access to our networked Hoppers and we have a ViP already (deactivated), particularly if the customer is going to pay big-time for it. 99.5% of subscribers are not going to pay for a ViP added to a Hopper install. A further reasonable requirement would be if Dish demanded that all the boxes must be connected to the internet at all times or the same phone line. That would address account stacking concerns as that is the practice with an all ViP install beyond 4 boxes, anyway. Same IP address; same telephone number. That's Dish's current strategy to combat account stacking.

Too bad, because if we do have such a situation. I've gotta figure out something else like a 3rd Hopper that I have seen others post Dish will allow, on our dime, of course, and that is reasonable.

SomeDishGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 2, 2013
In a van, down by the river
For the record, there are plenty of new installs that do not have Hoppers. The configurator that we (Dish) use to set up a new install has a Hopper and non-Hopper option. We go in and set the number of TVs, and the two questions for each tv are: 1. HD? Y/N 2. DVR? Y/N, and it recommends a solution, and an alternate. If no DVRs are chosen, it will give the non-Hopper solution, but also give the Hopper for comparison. But for each one...there is a Hopper and non-Hopper solution. I've dealt with plenty of non-Hopper accounts that are less than a month old over the last week or so. Even dealt with one where the customer was upset that he did NOT get the Hopper.

Same goes for upgrades, that screen has Hopper and non-Hopper sections.

I have no idea what the sales agents are told, they may well be told to push Hoppers, but nothing forces it, and customers still have a choice.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

Reactions: TheKrell

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
For the record, there are plenty of new installs that do not have Hoppers. The configurator that we (Dish) use to set up a new install has a Hopper and non-Hopper option. We go in and set the number of TVs, and the two questions for each tv are: 1. HD? Y/N 2. DVR? Y/N, and it recommends a solution, and an alternate. If no DVRs are chosen, it will give the non-Hopper solution, but also give the Hopper for comparison. But for each one...there is a Hopper and non-Hopper solution. I've dealt with plenty of non-Hopper accounts that are less than a month old over the last week or so. Even dealt with one where the customer was upset that he did NOT get the Hopper.

Same goes for upgrades, that screen has Hopper and non-Hopper sections.

I have no idea what the sales agents are told, they may well be told to push Hoppers, but nothing forces it, and customers still have a choice.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

It's still very obvious that Dish is pushing the Hopper over any other kind of equipment. It's the product they've invested everything in, they market it the most, they give the most money for incentives when you sell it and they make it hard for a new customer to even know the old equipment still exists.

I've already had customers tell me they called Dish with an issue only to get talked into upgrading to the Hopper even when they didn't need or want it. Then that customer comes to me wanting me to put their 722k back in.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
The one lady that wanted wanted to go back to the old equipment was because she had it mirrored to a couple different TVs. She had an issue one night and for some reason just called Dish. Dish ended up talking her into the Hopper and she was not happy with the new equipment at all. She stopped into our store an apologized for not calling me first. I told her I couldn't do anything with her equipment since we are not allowed to do downgrades.

What I was able to do for her though was call Dish myself and make sure they gave her back exactly what she needed. They still tried to add another receiver to her account but I told them no, so it was a good thing I did the talking for her. This was a prime example of how a retailer can offer an entire different level of customer service.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Why not just mirror her Hoppers?

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
You can't diplex with a Hopper so mirroring also requires a second cable to the Hopper location. It's also not supported by Dish.

Also, with a Hopper both the main and the mirrors are watching the same thing. With a 722K TV2 get's it's own remote and channel for watching something different.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
I don't think she appreciated her bill going up as much as it did either.

We had her set up with the ability to access TV2 from extra rooms. She only had one extra TV but she would bring it into the other room when was going to spend time there. Basically, she wanted her equipment setup a specific way and we accomplished it for her. Dish just happened to mess it all up.

I did tell her we could try to duplicate it with the Hopper system but she just wanted what she had and with our help me made it happen. She even sent me a thank you note in the mail with $5 in it to go buy myself a beer. It's customers like her that make me feel good about my job.

tedb3rd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Rome, Georgia, United States
I looked into this. It's technically possible (no hardware limitations) but Dish won't let you. I can't remember how I found it, but I did come across a wiring diagram that showed 722 and hopper sharing a dish. When I found it, I was WOO HOO, and called dish to do that setup. They told me it was not technically possible but I referenced the document name... The CSR got a higher level tech support guy and he said that it is physically possible but they don't allow VIP (722) and Hopper on same account. So unless your name is Charlie...

dvrexpander

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 23, 2009
Near a tree
IMHO, Dish does not want mixed install with the Hopper because of the high number of potential points of failure with such an install. I'm not suggesting that they would subsidize such an install (they sure as heck don't seem to want to as it would increase their cost to acquire that customer), but Dish would have to fix the problem (most likely the DPP44 or TWO of those switches in an install, but they just add more points of failure to an already Node and splitter and isolator and tap ridden install the Hopper alone requires) if a customer adds the Home Protection Plan, and I don't think Dish liked the cost analysis of such installs should something fail, and this would be even if the customer paid for full retail to add a ViP to a Hopper install. Adding a 2nd reflector to accommodate a ViP or having to fix whatever wrong with that 2nd reflector would also be a cost analysis report that would give Charlie heartburn.

Well the idea of having issues with the DPP44 switch or two switches installed isn't all true cause even today if you do a 4 room HD install without DVR they put four 211's on the account so you need a 44Switch right off the bat.

Adding a 722 to a hopper install is easy to do and wouldn't cause any problem because I've done it with a single 1000.2 WA install using two lines to a node for a 4 room hopper/joey install and then a single line from the other port to the 722 (on a whole other account in a house with two apartments). The switch won't care and won't cause any problems from doing this the only restriction is Dish and their lame system that won't allow it to be activated on the same account other than a single 211 for tailgating. If they can allow the 211 then they sure as hell can allow the 722's or any other receiver to be active on the same account.

Reactions: TheKrell

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
Well the idea of having issues with the DPP44 switch or two switches installed isn't all true cause even today if you do a 4 room HD install without DVR they put four 211's on the account so you need a 44Switch right off the bat.

Adding a 722 to a hopper install is easy to do and wouldn't cause any problem because I've done it with a single 1000.2 WA install using two lines to a node for a 4 room hopper/joey install and then a single line from the other port to the 722 (on a whole other account in a house with two apartments). The switch won't care and won't cause any problems from doing this the only restriction is Dish and their lame system that won't allow it to be activated on the same account other than a single 211 for tailgating. If they can allow the 211 then they sure as hell can allow the 722's or any other receiver to be active on the same account.

They only allow the 211s because the 211s are the only receivers that will work with the Tailgater.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
They only allow the 211s because the 211s are the only receivers that will work with the Tailgater.

Exactly, and the reason they only allow 211 receivers for Tailgaters is because they have no hard drive and are less susceptible to damage from being transported. Trust me, Dish has valid reasons for making the rules they do.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
-And now it's two owned ViP211 series.

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
What's funny is one of my coworkers was bragging around the other day about his stacked system. Apparently he has two hoppers & Joey at his house, then he has a third hopper installed at his buddy's house and just recently over the Memorial Day long weekend he said he got two other friends hooked up with a 211K each. All with EHD's everything pack, BBH all on his one account split 4 ways. He said he tried for a 722K but was shut down so he went with the two 211K. Then he told me I was a sucker for paying full price for my two sat accounts. Hopefully he gets an audit call soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)