How much longer will you be with Dish?

I have HD absolute, and love it with the exception of not having Speed, FX and Fox News. I'm not under contract, so I'm waiting for the Feb price increase and will evaluate my options at that time. If dish still doewsn't have the Fox channels by then, I'm probably going elsewhere.

I am sticking with Dish until I know for sure where Voom goes, if Voom dies or goes somewhere else I will switch for sure.

Made my switch last week. So far I'm happy I did.

I'm a sports nut, so I really should have went with D* to begin with. I really got tired of E*'s poor negotions skills when it comes time to renew programming contracts. Don't seem to hear as much of that on about D*.

I'm sure I'll miss the 722, but I'll see how I like the HR22 after I've all the tricks with it.

With the announcement of Directv's multi-room HD DVR, I am getting ready to leave Dish network as soon as Directv makes it available. Like Scott G. says SEE YA !!!!

Nov 24. For the last six months I've been in a mostly one way discussion with E* about new HD for Alaska. The last email said that they could not discuss any plans they may have for Alaska. They don't have a problem talking about "Up to 150 channels for the conus". I called D* and I can get it in my location. Since then E* has added two and uplinked eight HD channels to the Alaska package. Too late, checked into D* and like what I see.

I have been with Dish for 11 years and have no reason to switch, even for more so-called HD. Everyone that complains has a some what legit reason and if they want to switch providers like they change their underwear so be it. I only have two choices and Direct has never given me anymore programming than I could possibly want. I do have them both, Direct only for MLBEI and nothing more, but I suspend my account with Direct as soon as baseball is over. I really can't see the difference in quality of programming and will be with Dish until they fold up their tents. My wife absolutely hates the programming guide on Direct as I do. It is funny how this better than though issue comes up every few months and then dies down when no one has anything substantial to offer and then the "I want what I want or else!" people come out and start their self-serving attitudes. I think Dish has been pretty honest in some respect on what they roll out, not like Direct who say their programming is HD but looks pretty wash-out. Even some of Dish's HD looks tired, but the majority of their HD programs look pretty good. It is so funny when people switch to other providers because of their distaste with Dish or Direct only to find out the grass ISN'T as green on the other side as they thought.

Given the lack of substantive National HD channels and the elimination of Voom; how much longer will you be with Dish?

On into the forseeable future...and when I drop Dish, there will be no more subscription television in this household.

I decided to give Dish another Season, NHL season that is. I purchase NHL Center Ice. I'm still disappointed Dish has yet to add MSG HD, this means No Sabres (my Home Team), NY Islanders, NJ Devils, NY Rangers in HD. Secondly the number of HD NHL Center Ice Games is again a disappointment.

Add in the fact that Dish has yet to add my local HD channels, means I'm going to wait until late Summer 09. If Dish has not addressed these issues then I'll get DirecTV whom has MSG HD and Rochester NY HD channels coming Soon.

The Loss of Voom Channels RAVE, and Rush HD was a major disappointment to me as well.

Dish had better expand their HD offerings SOON. Even my Local Cable company is quickly eclipsing Dish's HD offerings.

I've been a Dish Subscriber since 1997, in March it will be 12 years.

John

Last edited:
Given the lack of substantive National HD channels and the elimination of Voom; how much longer will you be with Dish?
It all depends on what happens to my current HD Absolute package subscription....

If Dish keeps HD Absolute grandfathered -- I'm in for the duration :) If/when Dish substantially increases my cost and/or reduces the HD channels -- I'll start looking seriously at D*'s HD offerings :( Until then, I'd like to see more National HD, but I won't be jumping ship if it doesn't happen.

Talon Dancer

p.s. I'm not under contract, Dish already provides my HD LiLs and my only option for ANY TV is satellite.

Not anymore in Feb. I agree, it's the best thing going right now. But we have to see what changes we're getting in Feb.

I was paying Comcast twice that for similiar content at one time. And their signal went out way more than E* does during bad weather (ironically enough). I also have the 722 which is the best DVR I've ever used from anyone. So that alone would be reason not to switch, and like I said I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. If D* and E* were to ever merge and I were able to use the same equipment then we might have something.

Interesting thread. I see a lot of people talking about switching to DirectTV.

Having had DirecTV for several years, I have no inention of going back with them, so have been looking at Dish.

Ultimately, ALL of our options suck. :/

I'm good for now. I've got my HD locals, HD RSNs (albeit part-time) and there isn't much national HD that E* doesn't have that I have a burning desire for....

I already have too much HD.

If dish does not drop more HD channels soon I may have to switch to cable so I don't have to try to watch them all.

I didn't know Direct got the Obama channel...

But to answer the original question, my wife and I have already discussed dropping our service and just going back to OTA. I guess if there are price increases in Feb. then we will revisit that subject.

We went to OTA this summer. DirecTV was sneaking small price increases each month and we just got sick of it.

With Digital TV, it's tolerable. We get two cartoon stations for the kids, a handful of PBS, and all the networks in HD.

Alas, it still rather sucks outside of prime-time. So, we're thinking of the TurboHD. Seems to be a tolerable price to get a decent amount of stations to tide us over between prime time.

Meanwhile, I patiently await for Fios or Uverse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)