I did it... ordered Comcast

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Hell I did it... ordered Comcast

Well I just called Comcast and ordered. They were willing to do installation tomorrow but I told them to wait until Friday 28th. In that way I can keep VOOM until it goes dark to watch NBA-playoff games in TNT-HD.
I told them that I was "switching" from VOOM (little lie :D) and they only asked me for a bill statement as proof. Because of that they gave $25/month discount up to $400. Now I really hope that the rumor about Comcast adding TNT-HD soon turn out to be true.

Update:
I ended-up cancelling my Comcast order and getting E* instead. The reasons are:

1) TNT-HD. I'm a huge NBA fan and can't live without the NBA playoffs on TNT-HD (40 games). Although it looks like Comcast will add TNT-HD soon, a local rep has confirmed that there is no capacity in my area so they won't added "any time soon".

2) CBS-HD. Comcast doesn't offer it in my area. Local affiliate refuses to give the feed to Comcast. I could still get it OTA, but won't be able to record it.

2) Affordable HD-DVR now. E* offers the lease plan for $250 upfront. With Comcast it would be $0 upfront, but for me reasons (1) & (2) justify the cost.

3) PQ. According to most reports I've seen, HD PQ is better on E* than E*, perhaps with the exception of HD PPV.

4) No commitment. If D* implements the new MPEG4-based service in the next 6-12 mos, improves PQ and adds more national HD channels, ironically, I'll be able to jump to that service faster as a new customer than as an existing one.

5) Good E* offer. "Everything pack" for the price of the "Top 180" for 3 mos, HD pack free for 6 mos, $0 DVR monthly fee, free install and $55 in rebates.

Comcast

I too am probably going to get comcast. Did you order the HD DVR? How many HD channels are there? Thanks for your help.

OMG ... I hope you have a TV smaller than 24" Walter. Anything larger ... you thought you have seen macroblocking with Voom ... Oh dear. Nice scoop on the $400, 16 months to get it but it beats getting nothing!

Walter L. said:
Well I just called Comcast and ordered. They were willing to do installation tomorrow but I told them to wait until Friday 28th. In that way I can keep VOOM until it goes dark to watch NBA-playoff games in TNT-HD.
I told them that I was "switching" from VOOM (little lie :D) and they only asked me for a bill statement as proof. Because of that they gave $25/month discount up to $400. Now I really hope that the rumor about Comcast adding TNT-HD soon turn out to be true.

WOW!! So what do you want, a cookie? Who cares. :no

slacker9876 said:
OMG ... I hope you have a TV smaller than 24" Walter. Anything larger ... you thought you have seen macroblocking with Voom ... Oh dear. Nice scoop on the $400, 16 months to get it but it beats getting nothing!

Just got my comcast with a 63" set. Yes, you though PQ on voom was bad in hd, COmcast is alot more pixelated, but defintely watchable.

I got the dvr, pretty cool. I was told by the installer that in late summer, these are going away and Tivo Comcast HD-DVRs are coming into service.

I get 7 local hd channels, espnhd, hbo, sho, starz, max, dhd, inhd1, inhd2

I was also told that UHD and TNTHD are coming "in the fall".

Comcast has added hd channels over time. Since I had the original comcast last summer, they did add 2 more hd locals, so I 'believe' them.

I am also thinking about resubbing my dtv dish, just for hdnet, hdnet movies, and UHD for now. I am prequalified for east and west cbs, fox and nbc. Waiting on a waiver for ABC. We'll see.

slacker9876 said:

When was the last time you saw what Comcast looks like, I do not know what it looks like in Colorado, but here it easily beats out E*'s SD and HD, according to Ken H at AVS, Comcast's HD channels get the full 19.4 Mbps bit-rate, no down grading, and until I got Comcast two months ago I did not realize how bad the SD was looking on E*, it is a sad day when the cable companies are starting to jump ahead of the DBS companies.

I just got the same deal. They're going to install it this Saturday. That will give me two weeks to compare.

What type of proof do we need? I am a leaser and they said I needed a contract or simular. I think I might still have the installation order, but I'm not sure. If not, would a credit card receipt be good enough?

-John

vurbano said:
Bruce

Cable quality can vary street to street. Lets not fight about it.

Is there a question I should ask the cable company to determine if they are giving the HD channels the proper bandwidth?

Also, is there a meter or something to test the signal strength at my house when they hook up the cable?

I know have Comcast for my Internet but I am probably going to add the Comcast digital TV service to replace VOOM.

Walter, great minds think alike, as usual. ;)

I too called Comcast this morning, and got the same offer as a satellite switcher. $25 bucks off for 16 months is nothing to sneeze at. I'll end up with an HD-DVR and every channel the schmucks offer for $90/month.

I too told them I was switching. This is probably the most aggressive offer from cable to lure satellite users that I've seen. I can't imagine it's aimed at us wee 40,000 Voomers, but, good timing nonetheless. :)

BTW, I didn't see the same offer on Comcast's Web site, so definitely call them to get the best deal. The Web site also said there was no DVR in my area, but the rep said I'm locked and loaded for an HD-DVR on Friday. (Insert CSR doubt here.)

great deal from Comcast

I just called Comcast to order. I inquired about the $25 off per month for DBS subs and they told me it had expired but that they could offer me a better deal. The deal I got is:

Comcast Digital Silver Package which includes one premium (HBO) @ 70.95/month
HD-DVR which obviously includes their HD channels (locals, INHD1&2,ESPNHD,DISCHD) @ 9.95/month

all that for $34.99/month for 12 months.

I asked the CSR multiple times if that price was correct and that it included the DVR. He said yes. I set up install for Sat the 23rd. I'll keep Voom alive until it goes dark.

So those of you in the D/FW area may want to consider Comcast as an option. That price is hard to beat.

Walter.
Welcome to the "other side" - I "sold out" my DISH to Comcast for a SWEET deal last June and never thought I'd say this, I have NOT been sorry, as far as the product and the service ------ I LOVE my DCT 6412 HD DVR. Have been cutting "the FAT hog" this year [Siver Pack + HD etc. for $32\mo] - BUT the gravey train is coming to a screeching halt shortly. Come June will not be able to afford ALL this entertainment luxury - I was planning on hopefully switching to VOOM. Looks like now will have to cut back on present program with Comcast and wait until the Sat's get in the ballgame HD wise.
Just learned today of the Canadian option - StarChoice, but must pay a "tarriff" of $75 a year to use in the U.S.

hudson said:
I too am probably going to get comcast. Did you order the HD DVR? How many HD channels are there? Thanks for your help.
Yep. I ordered the HD-DVR. In my area, the HD channels are:
703 KWBP - WB (HDTV)
704 KATU - ABC (HDTV)
707 Discovery HD Theater
708 KGW - NBC (HDTV)
710 KOPB - PBS (HDTV)
712 KPTV - FOX (HDTV)
734 STARZ!
735 ESPN
751 HBO
761 Cinemax
776 Showtime
788 iNHD
789 iNHD 2

There is also a rumor from Ken H at AVSForum about TNT-HD being added soon:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=526649

jgantert said:
I just got the same deal. They're going to install it this Saturday. That will give me two weeks to compare.

What type of proof do we need? I am a leaser and they said I needed a contract or simular. I think I might still have the installation order, but I'm not sure. If not, would a credit card receipt be good enough?

-John

When I switched last October they didn't ask for any proof at all. I'm sure a Voom bill or credit card statement would be fine -- but it's quite likely that they won't even mention it when they come for the install.

jbanter:
Don't worry about the proof. Just make sure you tell them that you're leasing the VOOM equipment, and of course don't mention that VOOM is shutting down. They told me that thwy need a bill statement as proof, but I suspect that the installer won't even ask for it.

vurbano said:
Bruce

Cable quality can vary street to street. Lets not fight about it.

Talking about Comcast, you don't get Comcast, so your opinion is moot, by the way, who are you going to get?

Hopefully they can make this the offical Comcast thread.

I know Comcast is not Voom, but it is a lot better then D* and E*, so any of you Voomers that live in a Comcast area check them out, since I dropped E* I have not looked back.

More HD and SD then D* and E* (I know it is in SD, but the VOD really is cool, tons of kids shows on there to keep the little ones ( not so little, my almost 15 year old son is 3" inches taller then me, and I am 5'9" ) happy.

The kicker is the HD-DVR ($10.00 per month) vs. D* ($1000.00, then the TIVO fee per month) and E*($250.00 just for the right to lease it and then $10.00 a month) it works really well, no lock-ups or anything bad for about two months now.

Walter L. said:
and of course don't mention that VOOM is shutting down.

Oh, they know. :) I suspect they are getting a LOT of calls. This guy I had today knew everything about Voom, and was willing to look the other way. Yesterday I talked to a different CSR who wouldn't honor the offer because it only applied to E* or D*.

Motto... keep calling! You've got 3 weeks to find a CSR who will honor the deal. :)

-John

PS> Don't bash Vurbano. He's correct (here atleast). The lower channels (2-99) are still broadcast in ANALOG. It all depends on how many boxes that cable runs thru to get to your house. I'm in a 1970's neighborhood that hasn't been upgraded (we have serious power issues because of the underground wires failing). So, I'm expecting cr*p for the analog channels. We'll see. Good news is that we're scheduled to be upgraded Verizon FIOS in the "near future", whenever that is.

I looked at the Comcast lineup for my area. It appears to get the same package as the Dish 180 - I would have to spend $90 a month.

I can get some HD programming off an OTA antenna. Not a lot, but some.
I will most likely go back to Dish with an OTA antenna for the local HDTV until something better comes along.

roland

For me the only bad thing about going Comcast is that most likely, TNT-HD, won't be avaible in my area by April 24th when the NBA-playoffs start. I'll be covered until the 30th with VOOM, but then it will be TNT in analog SD until TNT-HD comes :(. Hopefully, it will be before the semi-finals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)