I did it... ordered Comcast

i cant get a good deal like the rest of you everytime i call someone has a diff special. for comcast.
the latest one is 3 months for 39.99 plus 5 dollars for each movie channel for 6 months. add 5 dollars a month for a regular hd box and another 19.95 a month for a dvr hd box. i want the deal you guys are getting.

cfk, don't feel bad. I'm going through the same thing with adelphia. Every time I call it's a different deal. None of them have been good so far and sometimes they won't give me anything at all. I'm waiting for the 79/mo all programming + HD-DVR. Once I hit that magic number I'll sign up.

im waiting for 49.99 for no movie channels and 89.99 for everything and 5 dollars for each box. and 1 dollar installation.
but i read were someone got a good deal. i have to find that and read it to the csr with comcast.

Hd Dvr

Has anyone had a HD DVR from comcast hooked up yet? I was interested in how it works (easy operation/menus)? Does the recorded stuff look as good as the original?

At first the CSR wasn't going to give me anything, and then I read to her the post on here about the 50 dollar special that includes the DVR, HBO, Starz and the HD pack. She then went "oh that special"..

Thanks to this board I saved a ton of money each month!

Make sure to mention "Drop the Dish". In my case not sure got the best I could of but for up to 16 months I get
• 2 HD-DVRs
• Platinum Digital pkg with all movie channels
• HD pkg (includes Movie Channel HD's and local via cablew hd WB, ABC, CBS NBC PBS & Fox)
• Free On Demand of both regular & movie channels (really love OD just wish had some HD items for free)
• $19 for installation ( actually called to find out about some things listed on the install sheet and it turned out they gave the install to me free as well)

Anyway my grand total per month is $93 for up to 16 months and then could go up 29 dollars. Im hoping by then there will be either more HD on comcast or DTV will have gotten thier act together HD wise or even better someone picks up the Voom Ball, hehe.

hudson said:
Has anyone had a HD DVR from comcast hooked up yet?
I have had the 6412 (two of them now) for about two months, be careful, they tried to dump off the 6408 on me, it is not a dual-tuner.

hudson said:
I was interested in how it works (easy operation/menus)?
Damn easy, go to the guide, find the show you want to record, hit record and the timer is set, also the dual-tuner part is the best, say you can record Lost at 8pm and Smallville is also on at 8pm, record one, hit swap and watch the other at the same time.

hudson said:
Does the recorded stuff look as good as the original?

No difference, and the Video on Demand is really neat also, I won't watch a movie on it since they are SD, but there is tons of other stuff that keeps my wife and kids happy.

Dual Tuner

Do you have to have the dual tuner to watch something while recording something else?

Never mind, just read your post again and got what I needed! Thanks! :yes :yes

Well they showed up with 6200's for my install. I called main comcast place here in Denver and got someone knowlegable that explained that due to some of the Bugs in the 6412's ( have read opn AVS of corruption if on 2 hd channels and try FF and such, green flashies and some other stuff) at least here in Denver they pulled em all out and are waiting on the newer box being worked on. Since its lease equip as soon as available I can exchange for them. Seem to recall reading that the newer boxes Motorola are makeing will use some diff chip for SD which might even mean better SD images. Again thats based on some info over in AVS's HD forums as well.

bratboy said:
Well they showed up with 6200's for my install. I called main comcast place here in Denver and got someone knowlegable that explained that due to some of the Bugs in the 6412's ( have read opn AVS of corruption if on 2 hd channels and try FF and such, green flashies and some other stuff) at least here in Denver they pulled em all out and are waiting on the newer box being worked on. Since its lease equip as soon as available I can exchange for them. Seem to recall reading that the newer boxes Motorola are makeing will use some diff chip for SD which might even mean better SD images. Again thats based on some info over in AVS's HD forums as well.

Don't know about that, but here I have not had any of those problems, a lot of those problems were due to software, I have read other companies that use the 6412 like Cox and Charter use their own software, Comcast uses their own.

I have read there are not enough HD-DVRs out there for Comcast subs, if they pulled the 6412 they could have given you the 6408 instead of the 6200 plain HD-STB, I would press the issue with them.

bratboy said:
Make sure to mention "Drop the Dish". In my case not sure got the best I could of but for up to 16 months I get
• 2 HD-DVRs
• Platinum Digital pkg with all movie channels
• HD pkg (includes Movie Channel HD's and local via cablew hd WB, ABC, CBS NBC PBS & Fox)
• Free On Demand of both regular & movie channels (really love OD just wish had some HD items for free)
• $19 for installation ( actually called to find out about some things listed on the install sheet and it turned out they gave the install to me free as well)

Anyway my grand total per month is $93 for up to 16 months and then could go up 29 dollars. Im hoping by then there will be either more HD on comcast or DTV will have gotten thier act together HD wise or even better someone picks up the Voom Ball, hehe.
I asked about the deal you had after the sixth time and they said oh yeah we have that but they want my receiver. but voom wants it back or they will charge me like 400 dollars i think. do you own your receiver or did they mention anything about wanting it. the only way voom gets this receiver is unless they knock on my door and get it. im not wasting gas money driving down the block to the post office to return equitment. :D

If anybody wants to do this deal and needs a receiver to give Comcast, I do have 2 extra older Hughes DirecTV receivers that I can part with. The wife actually wants all the crap out of the house and now! hehe.. All that I would want is just shipping covered..

Just PM me or email me and we can work stuff out..

bruce said:
Don't know about that, but here I have not had any of those problems, a lot of those problems were due to software, I have read other companies that use the 6412 like Cox and Charter use their own software, Comcast uses their own.

I have read there are not enough HD-DVRs out there for Comcast subs, if they pulled the 6412 they could have given you the 6408 instead of the 6200 plain HD-STB, I would press the issue with them.

Here in BOston, the installer told me that they are swapping out the Motorola boxes at end of summer and going to a TIVO dvr, based upon the agreement signed a month ago between comcast and tivo.

He said the Moto dvr 'sucks'. I found the first bad thing last night. If you are recording a show, you cannot pause it, you can only pause live tv. Also, pause, resume is very 'chunky', unlike a tivo.

Wierd, tivo lets you pause a recording show

philhu said:
Here in BOston, the installer told me that they are swapping out the Motorola boxes at end of summer and going to a TIVO dvr, based upon the agreement signed a month ago between comcast and tivo.

He said the Moto dvr 'sucks'. I found the first bad thing last night. If you are recording a show, you cannot pause it, you can only pause live tv. Also, pause, resume is very 'chunky', unlike a tivo.

Wierd, tivo lets you pause a recording show

Also untrue, do not listen to the installers, it is like talking to a CSR from any of them-V*, D* E*, or C*.

Here:

TiVo & Comcast Sign Multi-Year Deal
The cable operator will begin offering the DVR service next year.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (March 15) -- It looks like the Wall Street analysts got it wrong again.

Comcast and TiVo announced today that it has signed a multi-year agreement for the cable operator to offer TiVo's Digital Video Recording service to its cable customers. Comcast is expected to add TiVo by mid to late 2006.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/comcastdeal031505.html

They are going to offer the software, it is up to use if we wish to use Tivo for a fee or the Comcast software.

cfkillers said:
I asked about the deal you had after the sixth time and they said oh yeah we have that but they want my receiver. but voom wants it back or they will charge me like 400 dollars i think. do you own your receiver or did they mention anything about wanting it. the only way voom gets this receiver is unless they knock on my door and get it. im not wasting gas money driving down the block to the post office to return equitment. :D

You should sign up for the deal anyway. I highly doubt the installer will ask for your receiver -- and if he does just tell him it is a lease and show your bill. When I switched back in October the CSR said they wanted the receiver but the installer didn't say anything at all and didn't verify that I had satellite in any way (except maybe seeing the dish on the roof).

bruce said:
Also untrue, do not listen to the installers, it is like talking to a CSR from any of them-V*, D* E*, or C*.

Here:

TiVo & Comcast Sign Multi-Year Deal
The cable operator will begin offering the DVR service next year.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (March 15) -- It looks like the Wall Street analysts got it wrong again.

Comcast and TiVo announced today that it has signed a multi-year agreement for the cable operator to offer TiVo's Digital Video Recording service to its cable customers. Comcast is expected to add TiVo by mid to late 2006.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/comcastdeal031505.html

They are going to offer the software, it is up to use if we wish to use Tivo for a fee or the Comcast software.

Ok, good to know

I guess he accellerated the dvr release date because I was complaining a bit about the moto dvr

Phil
'

Walter L. said:
That's what I'm afraid of. However, I don't see any other alternative to watch the NBA-playoffs in HD. The playoffs starts on Apr 24th and TNT-HD will do 40 games including the semifinals and Eastern Finals.
Geez, I just needed VOOM to last just 1.5 months longer!!! :no

Walter,

I just spoke to a friend of mine who is well connected in both Comcast and Motorola HQ (works at one, has a spouse at the other). I am told that they will definitely be adding TNT-HD, Universal HD, and another HD channel within the next 60 days. They are trying to have TNT running for the 24th but they have to move things around and was not sure if it will happen by then. I would hate to see you get stuck with E*'s meager HD lineup when it looks like Comca$t is moving even further ahead.

Yes, this is depressing. Discussing the merits of cable in the Voom forums. :shocked . Who would have ever thought.

Cheers.

Amphicar770 said:
Walter,

I just spoke to a friend of mine who is well connected in both Comcast and Motorola HQ (works at one, has a spouse at the other). I am told that they will definitely be adding TNT-HD, Universal HD, and another HD channel within the next 60 days.

Woo Hoo, not much of other options for a third channel except for ESPN 2 ( the only other channel other then that would be Wealth TV...yech, bring on the Baseball).

Bruce, I just was installed and they didn't require and proof of me having DBS (I guess the 2 dished on the roof was enough). :)

Pretty cool since I lease the Voom box.

-John

bruce said:
Woo Hoo, not much of other options for a third channel except for ESPN 2 ( the only other channel other then that would be Wealth TV...yech, bring on the Baseball).
Id rather have UHD before either TnT-HD (Stretch'o'vision) and ESPN2. Be nice if they pick another Movie type channel in HD as the 3rd but dont know if their are any avail. Have to admit Cable has come a long way since last time I had it, really enjoying "On Demand" feature. Now if they would do some FREE hd shows hehe. Still nice to just pick some movie and hit play vs waiting for channel to show it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)