I did it... ordered Comcast

jeslevine said:
I am in San Jose, Ca, and I had no problem getting the HD DVR from comcast

Four months ago, I tried to expand my Comcast basic limited service with a digital package and the receiver used did not even have a digital audio output, despite their claims to offer DD 5.1 sound. So I cancelled.

The Monterey area Comcast is playing catch up with the rest of the Comcast service areas.

Even the chief technician thought it was "odd" (his word) that the hd dvr was not yet available here but he speculated that it would be by summer.At least, they now offer HD which wasn't offered 4 months ago.

Six dishes soon to be just two (for BEV).

Shelly

Going with Comcast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right! I finally got a deal that is worth something. I was about ready to give up on everyone such as Dish, DirectTV and Comcast when I decided to call Comast one last time. I saw some previous posts about the "dish win back" offer or whatever it is called that is being offered by Comcast so I asked them about it and the CSR was very helpful and knowledgeable. He was the first one I have talked to at Comcast that has even mentioned this program.

Well this is what I am getting: Digital Plus package with free installation, 1 HD digital bo:mad:they are out of DVRs right now), and this will only cost me $24.99 a month for 12 months. It does go to the regular price($59.45 a month) after the 12 months but there is no committment involved during the first year or after. They are scheduled to install May 1st. Just thought I would let anyone know that might be interested.

Also, does anyone know if the Comcast digital boxes have digital coax or optical outs or both. What about the video outs-DVI or component or both? I will be getting a HD box with a single tuner. They said they are out of dvr boxes right now. Thanks. By the way, I live in the Dallas area.

Matt

The 2 digital boxes that I got only have composite video and no digital audio outputs. I have to call Comcast tomorrow to get better boxes.

One warning. I was told I was getting the On Demand Digital package. What they didn't tell me was I was not getting the Digital Plus ale carte for the On Demand package. So I am losing out on about 10 channels with 5 of them my wife and kids watch. Discovery Home, Nick TOO, WAM!, Toon Disney. Has anybody else that got the dish buyback program get these channels?

I also had to give the Tech a receiver. The billing statement did not work. Luckily I had some older DirecTV receivers laying around.

Is there any way of changing the outputs of the HD-DVR to maximize PQ on the SD and HD channels?

User Settings and 30 Second Skip

Turn your box off, hit "menu" on the remote control, and then you will have a user setting screen. You can change the HD resolution, and the SD resolution. I have my HD at 1080i and my SD set at 480P. Please not that this is for the Motorola 6412 HD Dual-tuner box. At this screen, you can also set closed caption and a few other items. I would not change anything that you are unfamiliar with. I set the Closed Caption to translucent and set the font to the size I liked. The box can be tweaked to set your needs.

You can also program a 30 second commercial skip button on the remote, which can then be learned by any specialty remote. I set this up on the cable remote, and then passed it over to my Logitech remote control. It works great. If the code is needed, please let em know and I can post it.

Actually the only button I miss from my DTV Tivo is the 15 min fwd/back button. Is there a way to program that function to the comcast remote?

I'm having Comcast HD DVR installed on Sat, the 30th. Does Comcast have different HD receivers, or boxes, or whatever they use, that I should ask for a specific one?

Comcast 30 Second-Skip Remote Control Hack

You can remap any of the buttons on the Comcast silver remote control. From what I have heard, all of the Motorola boxes' remote controls allow for discrete button codes. I am using theses feature on a Motorola HD-Dual Tuner box.

Once programmed on the Comcast remote, you can then pass this information to any learning, universal remote. I mapped the "30 Second Skip" to my "Lock" button( Left of Day - and Day + buttons) since it is placed right under the 10-second rewind button. This makes it easier to skip commercials and jump back 10 seconds if you want to see something. The detailed procedure is as follows:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173.
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip function to ("Lock" in my case).

Then sit back and enjoy your new commercial skip feature. :D

sabo2 said:
I'm having Comcast HD DVR installed on Sat, the 30th. Does Comcast have different HD receivers, or boxes, or whatever they use, that I should ask for a specific one?

Motorola 6412

CoastalMXer,

I had the same problem regarding the line of interference at the top of some of the SD channels. I fixed it by going into the receiver setup menu (power off, hit menu) and changing the 4:3 override to "off". I originally had the override set to 480p. Since turning it off....all of the SD channels now come in fine. No more annoying "line" at the top.

Hi Guys,

Longtime Lurker, First time poster.

I, like the rest of you will miss voom but here is the deal I got from Comcast.
3 hd-dvrs with platinum service for 89.85/mo for 12 mos. After that it jumps to 134.80. I called Comcast yesterday, put in the order, they told me they could install today and the wife says the install was completed today.

I ordered the digital silver package with hd-dvr for 39.99/month. The csr told me the first bill would be 149.00.
29.99- install(refunded after first month)
31.99- I forget(refunded after first month)
71.99- digital silver first month
15.99- hd-dvr first month
39.99 month after that. So she is saying I have to pay the regular rate for the first month then for one year I will receive the drop the dish rate. Does this sound right and has anyone received their first bill yet?

I have Comcast being installed as we speak, my question is, do they have a hdtv dvr receiver which has component video and optical audio?

sabo2 said:
I have Comcast being installed as we speak, my question is, do they have a hdtv dvr receiver which has component video and optical audio?

Yes, even my SD8000HD has those active. You'ld be a little harder pressed to find DVI active, tho it seems to depend on where you live.

-John

rudmeister said:
Hi Guys,

Longtime Lurker, First time poster.

I, like the rest of you will miss voom but here is the deal I got from Comcast.
3 hd-dvrs with platinum service for 89.85/mo for 12 mos. After that it jumps to 134.80. I called Comcast yesterday, put in the order, they told me they could install today and the wife says the install was completed today.

Dear god! where are you and how did you pull THAT off?!? THREE HD-DVRs?!? Does that include hbo, showtime, tmc, and starz? For THAT price, with that many HD-DVRs, I'd actually consider staying with them the whole year instead of dumping them for Dish or DirecTV in another month or two (Voom refugee, here... Comcast was decided on as a stopgap measure to give me time to decide which satellite provider was likely to have the most HD channels by summer or fall).

i got comcast installed today. the guy who installed was horrible didnt set up the first hdvr up right. the second hd dvr didnt work and he didnt have another one in the truck. and i have no hd channels i called comcast and they said it will take a hour or two for all info to download its been 4 hours still no hd. and no tnthd in pg county.

Ditch the dish program still on!

I called Comcast today and they are still offering the $400 credit to 'switch' from voom. I asked if this was still applicable as Voom is out of business and the CSR said yes. I asked about the equipment (mine was on lease) and she informed me they needed only last month's invoice.
The minimum package for the credit is the silver package (my choice of either HBO, Showtime etc.).

Wishing Chuck Sr could have held off for another 12-18 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts