I did it... ordered Comcast

Cancelled Comcast install

Well, I end up cancelling my Comcast install and ordering E* with the 942 DVR instead. Although I still think that the Comcast deal is more attractive, it didn't quite work for me for 2 reasons:
1) TNT-HD. Although it looks like the rumor about Comcast adding TNT-HD is true, a local representative on my area have confirmed that they don't have capacity to add it right away. For me that would mean having to watch the 40 NBA playoffs games in analog TNT SD. And who knows, maybe they don't even add it on time for the beginning of next NBA season.

2) Our local Comcast doesn't carry CBS. The reason is that the local affiliate refuses to give it for free and Comcast refuses to pay. I could still get it OTA but I won't be able to record it.

So I decided that Comcast is not for me. With E* I'm getting the America's Everything package for the price of the Top-120 for 3 mos, waived the DVR monthly fee and the HD pack free for 6 mos. Also, I'll be getting $30 rebate for Cinemax + $25 for Starz after the 1st 3 mos. So, assuming that I don't do changes my Total bill would be:

1-3 mos: 81.99
4-6 mos: 91.98
6-? mos: 101.98

Installation is on the 25th.

For the folks that signed up for Comcast and got free installation and discounted rates for the HD DVRs, are you tied in to a contract or can you cancel within 30 days if Comcast doesn't work out for you? Charter Cable is the cable provider that is the provider of choice in my neighborhood. Right now, they ahve a 30 day risk free option.

jgantert said:
Oh, they know. :) I suspect they are getting a LOT of calls. This guy I had today knew everything about Voom, and was willing to look the other way. Yesterday I talked to a different CSR who wouldn't honor the offer because it only applied to E* or D*.

40 k customers spread out thru the whole us , i am sure the 40 thou or so customers are not making a big dent in comcast or any other providers daily calls, i spoke to a friend who works for comcast and voom was never a serious contender, comcast has not even mentioned voom shutting down but the dish buyback has been around for well over 2 years (-25 A month for 16 months)before voom even was in the picture, the fact is cable wants every customer it can get as does D and or E, they will do what they have to do to get you. but you are right some csrs dont care and call back if you are not happy in your offer same as with directv retention

Comcast Packages

margmt said:
Boy, am I glad for this forum! I wouldn't have known about the "switching" offer if not for this group and you good folks. Thanks! I called comcast and will be getting their digital plus gold package (HBO & Starz) with the hd-dvr for $54.94 a month, plus the fees & taxes (csr said that would be around $3.00 more) for 16 months.

Most of the Comcast CSRs seem to know about Voom going down and welcome us with open arms. But beware, what promotion they offer, seems to depend on who you talk to. Fortunately their computer was down Sat. afternoon and evening because if it was up I would have commited to a digital cable plan at $55.00 instead of a digital cable plan which includes one year of HBO, Showtime, Movie Channel and an HD DVR for $29.95 per month for the first year. It would cost $6 and $9 dollars per month respectively to add Stars and Cinemax to the deal. I think renting the STBs are $5 per month. The only thing I would not bite on was their Cable internet since I pay $29.95 per month for 3mbps download and 700 kbps upload speed with Verizon DSL (waiting for the 15 mbps fiber optic line to be laid in Baltimore). I will miss really miss Voom though :(
Wayne

My Deal W/ Comcast

Here's what Comcast set up for me...in Dallas, TX
1 HD/DVR (HDTV set, living room)
1 Std receiver (dual tuner not working in Dallas, this one is for PIP)
1 non-HD DVR (bedroom)
Gold Package (99 channels I think)
HBOs
Showtimes
Starz
HD channels

Total with tax: $46.26/mo. (for 12 mos.)

Pretty hard to beat. They are pretty willing to work out what you need.

damn..that's about half the cost of the best deal I was able to get out of adelphia. Did you have to sign a 12 month contract?

no contract w/ comcast

No contract w/ comcast, but I'm giving them a DTV receiver that's been in the closet....part of the deal....a copy of last month's bill would've been fine, but I'm not w/ DTV anymore.

Well, I just took the plunge and ordered Comcast. I took there platinum package under there dish buy back deal for 59.99 for 16 months which is pretty hard to beat. I also added the HD DVR for 9.99. I have the install scheduled for the 30th so I can enjoy Voom until the end. I just have to give them one box.

Got my Comcast install Friday; they have an even better deal then the "Satalite buy back" that some of you have talked about..

digital platinum plus, with HD, HBO/Starz/Showtime for what comes out to 56.66 a month over 12 months; you get billed 89.50, but month 1, 4, 7 and 10 is FREE!
No contract required, but obviously if you want to realize the "deal", you need to stick around for at least 10 months...Plus you get a 15.00 per month reduction on your Cable Modem, if you have one.

Direct TV would have come to around 120.oo per month for the same package, so my decision was a no-brainer..

Picture is excellent on ALL channels, and HD picture is awesum too...Watching on a 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma.

I live in a suburb outside of Chicago, if that helps...

Voomin Jim

Curious that you have to give your Voom box to Comcast. You are the first one I have heard of that happening to. Is the box Voom's or did you buy it? Offer is supposed to be dish buy back but for you is receiver buy back evidently. Evidently Comcast is not consistant country wide.

No Comcast

I Got E# With 1 811 Hd 1 522 Dvr Sd
Have Tnthd For Nba Playofs 40 Games :)
Hdnetwork
Hdnet Movies Hd
Hbo Hd
Showtimw Hd
Espn Hd
Dicovery Hd
Pay Per V. Movies Hd
$81.99 For All The Sd Chanels + 6 Month Free Hd After That $10.00
A Mont For Hd :d

Walter L. said:
Well, I end up cancelling my Comcast install and ordering E* with the 942 DVR instead.
Hope it works out, Walter. I hear you on not having TNT-HD; I don't know if Comcast has the capacity to add it here in San Francisco. I believe we're 750mhz here but haven't studied or asked about it.

Walter, did you go with DHA directly through Dish? What's the contract/ early termination provision? That was one reason I chose cable, so I could drop it if D*/E* upped their HD ante at all over the coming months.

Yeap, DHA directly with E*. What I got is basically:

No commitment
$250 for the 942 DVR lease
6 months of free HD Pack
3 months of Everything Pack for the price of Top-180
No DVR fee (while keeping Everything Pack)
$30 HBO Rebate
$25 Starz Rebate

I also went with Comcast and their HD DVR deal. One question though, on a few of my analog channels, I'm getting some static in a thin horizontal bar on top of the screen. It kind of bounces around a little at the top as if it's getting some noise or interference or something. It doesn't show up on every analog channel but it shows up on a handful. I'm running through the DVI cable into a Samsung HDTV. Motorola 6412 Box set to 16:9, 1080i and 4:3 override to 480p. Digitial and HD channels look great. I think I've had this problem before when I had HD Cable using an old motorola box and the tech told me it was related to the DVI cable. I think if I run component I won't have the problem but I don't want to give up the DVI. Anyone else have this problem on analog channels? Could use some advice on how to get it straight.

Thanks...

Comcast sure offers different services depending on where you live.

I am in the Monterey, CA area and have scheduled Comcast to upgrade me to Digital Platinum Plus on next Wednesday.

There is no hd dvr available to me as yet, although there are hd channels (HBO, Starz, Show, Cinemax, ESPN, InHD 1, InHD 2). I was told $25/month discount for the "Dish By Back" program but all I have to do is show a Voom invoice as my equipment is leased. Also free installation. No contract.

Also, the first 120 channels are still analog although we have fiber optic lines now.

I will have to wait until I can get the dvr.

I still have my Dish and Direct sat dishes in place so I will wait to see if I stay with Comcast.

Shelly

I have received several conflicting csr reports from Comcast as to availability of hd and hd dvr in my area.

Just checked again and now found out that there is NO hd and NO hd dvr in my area. Comcast sucks. 5 csr's said yes, 2 said no, and now this latest news.

I cancelled my install with them and have gone back to Dish.

Dish waived all reconnect charges, new 811 and 301 receivers, no contract, 6 months free hd pak. It all happens on Friday, April 29.

What area are you in? Evertime I call Comcast, I get different deals and rates. However, they do insist on having to give them my latest voom bill, letter of cancellation or a voom receiver inorder to get a year discounted rate.

Yeh - seems to be no continuity with the C* deals in different areas. I was told that the 16 month deal was long gone, and that 12 months is the current deal. But, I am getting 3 months free HBO and Showtime. No charge for the install, and no commitment. Monthly charge is 39.99. I'm happy enough with that. Hopefully Cleveland area C* will be adding TNT-HD, as some other areas apparently already have. Install is scheduled for 5/2.

I'm getting a bit crazy with Comcast.

I decided to drive to their nearest office in Monterey, CA to learn from the local technicians what can actually be received in my area in Carmel Valley, CA. I spoke with the chief in charge of installations.

They do, indeed, have HD available but no dvr until summer, and will be adding in May local CBShd and local NBChd to go with the local Foxhd now included in the hd package. Hopefully, they'll add Discovery HD Theater in the near future as well.

They did give me free installation and $25 monthly discount for 16 months for leaving satellite service to come to cable. No contract. So Comcastt is in and Dish is out once again.

Install shceduled for Friday, April 29. Sadly I say goodbye then to Voom and Playboy/Hot/Spice after a mighty fine run.

Shelly

Interesting

shelly said:
I'm getting a bit crazy with Comcast.

I decided to drive to their nearest office in Monterey, CA to learn from the local technicians what can actually be received in my area in Carmel Valley, CA. I spoke with the chief in charge of installations.

They do, indeed, have HD available but no dvr until summer, and will be adding in May local CBShd and local NBChd to go with the local Foxhd now included in the hd package. Hopefully, they'll add Discovery HD Theater in the near future as well.

They did give me free installation and $25 monthly discount for 16 months for leaving satellite service to come to cable. No contract. So Comcastt is in and Dish is out once again.

Install shceduled for Friday, April 29. Sadly I say goodbye then to Voom and Playboy/Hot/Spice after a mighty fine run.

Shelly

I am in San Jose, Ca, and I had no problem getting the HD DVR from comcast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)