I have a 622 receiver, can I get a newer model for free?

swellde

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 27, 2008
I have a 622 receiver that I assume I lease from Dish as I never paid for it. If I want one of the newer models with a bigger hard drive can I simply call Dish Network and request one for free or do I have to pay a fee to upgrade?

Thanks garys, I'll do that. That figures though, reminds me of Verizon, I've been a customer for ten years spending over $100 a month and a new customer gets what I want for free.

yea, but theres not much of a point to upgrade past the 622 except for the HDD space and maybe the sling adapter. i go between a 622 and 722 almost daily and there's really nothing that would make me want to use the 722 more. $40 for an EHD and it's basically a 722

Don't complain about paying for an upgrade, it gets old. I will agree that some upgrade prices can be rediculous but if its a reasonable price, please don't complain.

A "Gift" From DISH

I received a "Thank You Gift" offer from DISH; a free DVR upgrade and 3 months Starz free. I opted for the DVR upgrade. A DISH installer arrived yesterday with a 722K as an upgrade for my 622. The cost to me; $15.00 for the service call (I have the $6.00/mo service plan). Acceptance of the "gift" requires a 24 month commitment.

I received a "Thank You Gift" offer from DISH; a free DVR upgrade and 3 months Starz free. I opted for the DVR upgrade.
A DISH installer arrived yesterday with a 722K as an upgrade for my 622. The cost to me; $15.00 for the service call (I have the $6.00/mo service plan). Acceptance of the "gift" requires a 24 month commitment.

Wasn't the offer for DVR upgrade AND 3 months Starz free? Why did you opt for the DVR upgrade only?

Did they offer you the option of sending you the receiver or having a service tech install it? When I got my 622 a few years ago, I just had it sent to me (I don't have the $6.00/mo service plan). Did you request this gift or did they offer it to you unsolicited?

The offer was unsolicited. They did not offer an option on the installation. The installation was done the day after responded to the mailing.

I just received one of these, too. I would have Dish send it without the Tech Call because I am not afraid of connecting a couple of cables and running a switch check. I would want the OTA module installed, though. Does Dish throw that in, or is it a one-time charge to add it? Likewise, when I send the 722k back in the future, would I need to send the OTA module back?

Attachments

• Dish-Freee-DVR1.jpg
    Dish-Freee-DVR1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Yes, Dish is offering free upgrades to the 722k (at least they are for me) - it's $200 for the 922.

Did they require a new 24 month commitment? What about the OTA module? I've got a 622 & 722--I'd like to swap the 622 for a 722K w/module to be able to record 2 OTAs @ the same time. Thanks!

Ed

I might caution that if you have any 622 or higher receiver, and it is working just fine, that you might want to consider that changing to a different receiver (regardless of model) could mean having to deal with a defective one. In other words, the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." which is actually one of the only old sayings that is actually true....

Also, when I called to inquire about the Free DVR Upgrade, it applied to my Solo HD (a.k.a. ViP211). The Dish CSR could not guarantee that I would get a 722k if I wanted to apply this to my 622 instead. I could end up with another 622! Hardly an upgrade...

The CSR did say that as a ultra, super-special Dish Customer (sarcasm mine) that he could put a three month Platinum HD for free special on my account, no strings attached (other than the usual CC Auto Pay and Paperless billing which we already have set up.) I passed on the Starz free offer since we don't have time to watch the Cinemax-for-1¢ deal we have now, plus there's the $5 downgrade at the end of the three free months. So, I guess it doesn't hurt to call.

I may try the on-line chat to see if I can convince them to ship a replacement 722k instead of rolling a truck and taking whatever the Tech has in the back of the van.

I just received one of these, too. I would have Dish send it without the Tech Call because I am not afraid of connecting a couple of cables and running a switch check. I would want the OTA module installed, though. Does Dish throw that in, or is it a one-time charge to add it? Likewise, when I send the 722k back in the future, would I need to send the OTA module back?

Since you have to buy the OTA module if you needed to send back the 722k? I would take out the OTA module and either use it with another 722k or 922.it's yours you bought it you own it;)

I had to have a replacement 722K sent to me, as the hard drive on my first 'K' failed. I had purchased and installed the second OTA module for the original 'K,' so I removed it before sending back the bad unit, and reinstalled the module in the replacement 'K.' I am not aware of DISH installing the OTA before sending a receiver out, I believe it is a "user add-on," something they just have you pay for and install yourself. It is no big deal to do the install, BTW. So, you could take it out before you send back the unit. FYI, I do not have leased receivers, I own mine, if that makes a difference in what DISH will include.

Since you have to buy the OTA module if you needed to send back the 722k? I would take out the OTA module and either use it with another 722k or 922.it's yours you bought it you own it;)

Remember to keep the metal plate that covers the hole where the OTA module goes. DISH might charge you for it if you return it without the hole covered.

Besides a larger hard drive, the 722k also has programmable remote controlls. These remotes also allow you to backup your timers and settings to the remote. Comes in handy when you have to switch out a bad receiver -- just download your saved settings from your remote to the new receiver.

Besides a larger hard drive, the 722k also has programmable remote controlls. These remotes also allow you to backup your timers and settings to the remote. Comes in handy when you have to switch out a bad receiver -- just download your saved settings from your remote to the new receiver.

Might be interested in upgrading a 622 to a 722k. If I recall correctly the Remote Backup feature was added to the 622, but was useless unless you had the newer remote (that comes with the 722k). Can anyone confirm that they have backed up a 622 and restored to a 722k (with the 722k remote)?

From reading this thread, it sounds like the 722 requires a module for OTA. I currently have a 622 and I get OTA with it's own disc for recording without a module. I would upgrade to a 722 for the additional recording capacity, but not if I had to buy an OTA module.

So, does the 722 require an OTA module or is it only the 722k that requires this? If so, what other differences are there between the 722 and the 722k?

No, the 722 comes with a built-in OTA tuner and cannot accept the 2-tuner plug-in module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)