I just applied and got approved for 2 conversion coupons

It dont matter to me. Govt takes my money and this is a way to get something back.

I did not fraud anyone. The question asked if I have any cable or satelitte service and/or receivers and I said yes. They still chose to send me the coupons. If they dont want me to have these, then change the rules. The rules now say I am eligible. The real fraud is people who do not pay taxes getting $300 rebate checks.

Damn Strait, anyone who does not pay taxes, anyone on state aid or welfare,or people who have taxes deduted but get it all back because they have 7 children , have no right to get their $300 back!!!

I don't know whether mods need to step in. A lot of the fire i directed at me and while I think that people should take it down a notch I think that it would be better if we all showed some restraint ourselves.

I will say that i don't need any apology or intervention. I will let the OP decide on his own what he thinks is appropriate.

I don't know whether mods need to step in. A lot of the fire i directed at me and while I think that people should take it down a notch I think that it would be better if we all showed some restraint ourselves.

I will say that i don't need any apology or intervention. I will let the OP decide on his own what he thinks is appropriate.

I've pretty much abondoned this topic because I dont think many of these insults deserve responses. Apparently i'm unmoral and some sort of fiend. Never mind I do community work and donate to charities.

In any event, I appreciate some of the points you made. :up

Darren whenever you make a post on a public board you put yourself out there and people can argue with you. Don't take it personally. Just conduct yourself honorably and the rest will take care of itself.

BTW, anyone else want a coupon? Go here: https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Do as I did, be honest. If you are eligible according to the guidelines, get your coupon.

I was honest. Some or all of my TV's are connected to cable or satellite. Not all of my TV's are though, and I have 2 that are older analog tuner models. I qualified and will use the coupons toward converters. Heck . . why not?

I have a LCD HD set with analog tuner and 722 hooked up to it. I also have a 27 CRT with analog tuner. I have Dish satellite service. Cost of living seems to explode, my paycheck doesn't. Somewhere down the road, if this situation doesn't improve, I have to cut costs. Every business cuts costs, if the relation of profit and costs gets out of hands. To me satellite tv service would be one of the first things on the list to cut. Maybe not now, maybe a year from now. I often catch myself flipping through the TV guide and wonder why I am subscribing to AEP + HD. Either I have seen it already, or it justs sucks what's coming on. I also often catch myself watching alot of OTA, mainly because of the news and such. The little devil on my shoulder tells me I'm wasting money, and I am soon gonna run out of excuses to argue with him. One of these days I am gonna place the call, and equipment will be shipped back in return boxes. On this particular day, I will still have the two TV sets with analog tuners, and I still have the right to receive public information. And this is where the coupons and converters come in the game, because I believe at this particular day, the analog tv broadcasting is already history, or being close to be history. And then I guarantee you I WILL use BOTH!

Besides that, local channels are actually FTA, and all these years I paid Dish 5 bucks a month to get them to me. I am not complaining, but in my case and for MY DMA (Tulsa), I am paying to receive local SD, because Tulsa won't ever get the damn HD LIL's. The same picture could be accomplished by TR-40, purchased with a coupon. In fact the coupon and the TR-40 makes it even more attractive to cancel Dish...somewhere down the road...

I signed up for two coupons, because at my house, although we do have cable and satellite, we do have at least two TV sets that are not hooked up to either one. And - the cable and satellite have both been known to go out on occasion. Furthermore, I really would like at least one TR-40, as we have a TV with TV Guide On Screen that only uses the analog data feed, so the TR-40 will convert a digital TVGOS back to analog TVGOS, therefore our TV will continue to work as it did before.

I think everyone should get at least one coupon, if they do not have any other digital tuner devices in their home. We all might need to get some emergency info from the TV if cable and/or satellite go out for an extended period. And yes, radio is an option, but I would also like the option of TV, to get additional information, and I think in an emergency it would be useful to have at least one functional TV set, just for sanity's sake.

I signed up for two coupons, because at my house, although we do have cable and satellite, we do have at least two TV sets that are not hooked up to either one. And - the cable and satellite have both been known to go out on occasion. Furthermore, I really would like at least one TR-40, as we have a TV with TV Guide On Screen that only uses the analog data feed, so the TR-40 will convert a digital TVGOS back to analog TVGOS, therefore our TV will continue to work as it did before.

I think everyone should get at least one coupon, if they do not have any other digital tuner devices in their home. We all might need to get some emergency info from the TV if cable and/or satellite go out for an extended period. And yes, radio is an option, but I would also like the option of TV, to get additional information, and I think in an emergency it would be useful to have at least one functional TV set, just for sanity's sake.

Heck in Tornado Alley big T-storms pop up and the atmosphere turns unstable quickly. The first thing knocked out is the satellite signal. How often did I have to to switch to OTA to continue to get information about the developing weather and what to expect. Satellite service in a T-storm is useless, OTA so far ALWAYS worked.

A little advice...

A. Let your relatives and friends (maybe elder) know about the coupons and encourage them to apply early if they need them.

Flame wars...

1. A soft answer turns away wrath

2. It is wise to ignore an insult.

3. All people have opinions. Those opinions may or may not have any relation to facts or reality. Consider them accordingly.

4. If it gets out of hand, walk away and let the storm dissipate.

I do hope Darren22 (and others) put the coupons to their intended use and do not take advantage of vulnerable people. Using the coupons is one thing. Wasting or squandering them (a bit difficult given the expiration date, but not impossible) is quite another--rather poor behavior.

That said, OTA converters are quite useful, especially in stormy weather which can easily render 12 GHz Ku signals unusable for any reasonable (48" or smaller dish) antenna. Now you know why cable cos have 15 foot dishes.

It asks if you have Cable/Sat on All or SOME TV's

I have 1 tv, it is connected to dish, no tuner.

But, there will be a time when I dont have Dish, or i get a new TV and I dont want to pay for a second dish box, and would still like to watch some OTA on the set... so why not get the coupon?

Also, depending on the tuner i go with, it may be better for OTA than the dish net box.

I signed up. Because, my TV upstairs which is connected to my 622 doesn't get OTA locals. I also have a TV in my sons playroom connected to the same feed. But that is besides the point. I see no reason I should not be allowed the discounted rate on the boxes.
Everyone who is criticizing people for signing up should remember the saying about casting the first stone.

It asks if you have Cable/Sat on All or SOME TV's

I have 1 tv, it is connected to dish, no tuner.

But, there will be a time when I dont have Dish, or i get a new TV and I dont want to pay for a second dish box, and would still like to watch some OTA on the set... so why not get the coupon? a

Also, depending on the tuner i go with, it may be better for OTA than the dish net box.

That question is likely there because during the second wave of coupons distribution availability will be restricted to those who do not sub to satellite or cable.

i am not sure how I would use these to take advantage of vulnerable people. In my case they will be hooked up to TVs that do not have digital tuners. That sis certainly a valid purpose. One may be given away to a charitable group I volunteer for. There is an analog OTA only set that is sometimes used to during breaks and/or when children visit to keep them entertained for short periods of time. i donated a $20 DVD player a year ago for the same purpose and this might be a good supplement.

Hopefully that will not be construed as me "sinning" by applying for a coupon in complince with the rules of the program.

And the follow-up to that was "Go and sin no more" to the sinner. So the message is to at least TRY to be ethical.

I love when people quote just enough to fit what they want it to mean.:confused:
The follow up to the woman originally accused by the other sinners was "Neither do I condemn thee: go and sin no more"

Also,Being ethical has nothing to do with it. Your idea of right and wrong may not be the same as the next person. Therefore what you believe to be ethically wrong may not be that of the majority.

So I believe the moral is... If you don't have anything nice to say, then shut up:D

Last edited:
Well we ae all sinners. You can't expect much from the devil's disciples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts