• Not this week but next week will at least see a firm announcement

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Not next week, but sometime before the December Charlie Chat

Votes: 99 40.2%
  • They already have “up to” 150 HDs, nothing else this year

Votes: 112 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good retrospective. If memory serves, there was a Tech Forum Monday 5/12 after everything was turned on. Also, Dish announced their earnings Tuesday 5/13. This month only brings one change: the earnings are a day earlier.

Hopefully tonight will show that they followed the same pattern. Perhaps they want to make sure trading is closed so the additions have their maximum effect next week.

I wonder if they uplink some more temps if another hacker will join and tell us what they all are.:)

He did promised more HD with the activation of E11. He also is maintaining his deliberately misleading end of year channel claim.
That's correct, but I never saw any quotes attributed directly to Charlie that said "before the next Tech chat", "11/5/2008", the Friday before the next Tech chat", "before the Q3 report is released", etc. These expectations have been raised elsewhere.

As for the "misleading claims", while it doesn't make it right, all providers do it. Plus, it's not the end of the year yet, is it?? :D

That's correct, but I never saw any quotes attributed directly to Charlie that said "before the next Tech chat", "11/5/2008", the Friday before the next Tech chat", "before the Q3 report is released", etc. These expectations have been raised elsewhere.

As for the "misleading claims", while it doesn't make it right, all providers do it. Plus, it's not the end of the year yet, is it?? :D

Actually, some say Charlie did say that (more HD before the next either Tech Forum or Charlie Chat) during the overrun of the last Charlie Chat. Unfortunately (perhaps deliberately) it was during the overrun, so no one has it recorded. And I didn't watch it live.

It's no different than it's ever been. What Charlie does is dictated by what Direct TV is doing and he'll do the bare minimum necessary to keep churn down. He's also proven he's not above implying something's coming either (to us and / or stockholders) if it will buy him a little time.

The answer to this question is NO to any new HD today. :(

I got the answer to this question from up near the top a few moments ago.

Sorry :(

It's no different than it's ever been. What Charlie does is dictated by what Direct TV is doing and he'll do the bare minimum necessary to keep churn down. He's also proven he's not above implying something's coming either (to us and / or stockholders) if it will buy him a little time.

Absolutely. That's why all this talk over "up to", etc. is pointless.

If these kinds of claims had legal consequences then we might want to spend time parsing Charlie's statements. But Dish (whether in the person of Charlie or someone else) will "look" us in the eye and lie with a straight face. Of course this is not exclusive to Dish, but that's besides the point.

I simply wouldn't bet on any new channels going live until you see them in your EPG. Make your decision as to which provider you want based on the channels offered now, of course coupled with expense, convenience, etc.

OK, now please close this thread.

He can put another one up tomorrow, then the day after, then the day after that.............and so on....

I was more into measuring the general pessimism of the forum. 80% don't belive new HD is coming next week, and almost half the forum doesn't see more HD this year. Quite sad for our opinion of Dish. And it seems our pessimism is well founded. Despite today being the specific day mentioned in HD rumors, apparently including a Dish source, no HD was launched.

I now firmly fall into my last category. Dish isn't going to do anything. The put out the 150 number just to match the DirecTV number. Maybe February we will see something when they can have a big price increase justified by a few new additions.

Well, either Dish had better quarter than we thought, or Dish stock will head even further into the crapper on Monday, given they have nothing visible in the works to turn the tide. I guess they figure they can blame EVERYTHING on the economy given current conditions.

I knew it. I have given up on all rumors of new hd and even Scott's sources . I think DISH is like a ship adrift in the ocean with out a rudder or any crew. My fear is it will meet the same fate as the Titanic.:(

I wanted to cast a vote (in my blood this week and I could only cast 1 where it mattered) but "Soon" was not an option...!

I knew it. I have given up on all rumors of new hd and even Scott's sources . I think DISH is like a ship adrift in the ocean with out a rudder or any crew. My fear is it will meet the same fate as the Titanic.:(

So long as I'm not required to pay my installer the $1500 early termination fee if Dish goes under before my contract is up, it won't make a difference to me.

I understand why so many people where upset at the start of the BSG season with e* sitting on Sci-Fi HD. I also am in the same boat as many of the HD absolute/Turbo HD subs longing for more HD; but why is it we have gone so far over board? What are we missing?

CSI reruns on Spike?
Spongebob?
Parental Control?
that Dallas Cowboy cheerleader show on CMT?
Comedy Central won't be HD til next year...
Fox seems to be out of the question (or else we'd have seen FNC SD moved to AT100 by now)...
don't kid yourself on Voom...

It sucks they are dragging their feet, but hey, it could be worse... (looks to the people in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico who get, what, 6 HD channels with e*)

I think they probably sat and watched Direct do nothing w/nationals this week, and thought, cool, we'll do the same, and like others have said, say the economy's bad, blah, blah, blah. Instead of being proactive and actually trying to jump into a better position.

I think they probably sat and watched Direct do nothing w/nationals this week, and thought, cool, we'll do the same, and like others have said, say the economy's bad, blah, blah, blah. Instead of being proactive and actually trying to jump into a better position.

But D* already has all the Viacom and Fox HD which E* doesn't. E* has the two Lifetime HD channels and a few more premiums than D* and that's about it, isn't it?

This does not have anything to do with DirecTV or the end of the year or anything else. If all has to do with one thing:

LOCAL RETRANSMISSION RIGHTS.

So you way you want Speed, Fox News, Fox Business, etc.

Well, Dish and Fox are not going to agree to put those up in HD until they come to an agreement on retransmission rights for the Fox-owned Fox local stations. The agreement to carry those expires in December, if memory serves.

This means that unless they come to an agreement, Fox local stations will be pulled from Dish during December, pulling NFL games from such places as Chicago, New York and Philadelphia.

When Fox and Dish come to an agreement on Local Retransmission, it will likely include Speed, Fox News, Fox Business, FX, etc.

Similar issues exist with CBS. Not so much with NBC and ABC. NBC extended all it's contracts before the Olympics. ABC is less important than ESPN, which extended last year.

By the way, most major cable systems and DirecTV are in the same boat, which is why no one has added much HD lately. No one wants to pay too much for local retrans rights, so nothing much is moving.

My guess is that Dish was or is close to a deal with either CBS or Fox, which is why there were rumors that more HD would be added this week. But no contract, no HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)