issue with replacing a reciever

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joetoronto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm in Toronto, Canada and I have an HR20 that is slowly dying.

I ordered a new HR24 receiver online from Milli and I'm wondering what to do with the old receiver, because it has to go back to Directv.

From what I understand, when I call them to activate the new receiver, they're going to want to send me a return box for the HR20 but of course, I'm in Canada.

I'm going to the States next week (CT), should I ship the old one to them
from there?

If so, when I'm activating the new one, and they tell me about the box they're going to send me, do I tell them I already shipped it to them?

If this is the way to go, does anyone know the return address to ship the old receiver to?

Or can someone recommend a better idea?

Thanks so much, Joe

Once you activate the receiver D* will send a return box to either the physical or billing address on file (whichever one you tell them to send it to)

Yes you can send it back in your own box on your own dime

Once you activate the receiver D* will send a return box to either the physical or billing address on file (whichever one you tell them to send it to)

Yes you can send it back in your own box on your own dime

I'm just worried that they might as me why my mailing address is completely different than my service address.

My paranoia is getting the better of me I guess.

Thanks so much.

my billing address is different than my physical...about 200 miles difference ;)

D* has sent a return box and a replacement receiver to the billing address (which is my actual address...the physical is for different city's locals)

my billing address is different than my physical...about 200 miles difference ;)

D* has sent a return box and a replacement receiver to the billing address (which is my actual address...the physical is for different city's locals)

I hear you but both your addresses are in the USA, big difference.

I guess I'll restart my old mail forwarding service and everything should be cool.

You've been great. Thanks so much, Iceberg.

What forwarding service are you using?

Just starting my quest on trying to get D* in Canada.

Came across your other thread, but it didnt say how you ended up getting the hardware and hooked up.

Thanks for any info.

What forwarding service are you using?

Just starting my quest on trying to get D* in Canada.

Came across your other thread, but it didnt say how you ended up getting the hardware and hooked up.

Thanks for any info.

I'm now using my cousins address in the USA but I think the mail forwarding company was called "USA Box".

I ended up finding a place on the internet. If you want a link to them, just send me a PM. As for hooking it up, I just called Directv, through Skype, and activated it.

First off, you said the "C" word and that is a no no around here. LOL

Anyways, you are really over thinking this as if it really came down to it, you could have them ship the box to your cousin and you ship the receiver to him.
However, yes, as Iceberg said, you can have them ship it to anywhere in the US or ship it yourself on your dime.
However, keep in mind if you ship it on your dime from "C" it will have a post mark on it from "C".

I am really mixed on the whole illegal thing myself.

I will say that in all honesty, I don't see a big deal in importing service to Canada as it costs D* nothing to provide it for you and you are paying for it. After all, IMO it is not D*'s job to uphold Canadian law. (Of course this is just my opinion and it doesn't mean it is right nor do I want to open it for debate)

However, that being said, it is not the wisest thing to post illegal activities on a public forum asking for help on how to continue to do those illegal activities. Especially considering that several solutions would be easy to figure out on your own.

I am really mixed on the whole illegal thing myself.

I will say that in all honesty, I don't see a big deal in importing service to Canada as it costs D* nothing to provide it for you and you are paying for it. After all, IMO it is not D*'s job to uphold Canadian law. (Of course this is just my opinion and it doesn't mean it is right nor do I want to open it for debate)

However, that being said, it is not the wisest thing to post illegal activities on a public forum asking for help on how to continue to do those illegal activities. Especially considering that several solutions would be easy to figure out on your own.

I've been paying for Directv since the 90's and I've always posted in Directv topics, sometimes for advice, sometimes not.

I don't have a problem with it, obviously. Why some others do is downright childish to me.

Well, Stonecold seems to like his job and seems to be by the book.
Nothing wrong with that.
He is very knowledgeable on rules, regulations, and contracts and this site is fortunate to have him.

That being said, I don't know if he is personally concerned with the fact that Canadians have the service or if he is more concerned about people opening admitting to having the service illegally in an open forum.

Just be a little more cautious about who you tell that you are breaking the law.

I view it like pot.
I don't smoke it myself but I don't care who does. Just don't walk down the street smoking it knowing that you can get in trouble and get those around you trouble too.

Joe,

I be honest with you. I personally like Canadians and I personally think your laws dreamed up by the CRTC are well BS, but I have to side with the company on this they have a very clear no Canadian policy. If your paying or not it is consider pirating by dtv and gets handled as such. You may not like it I dont personally think it is fair but I have to follow the law of the land from DTV that says Canadians are not allowed to have services. Why because your own government told dtv stay out. So your upset but it simply DTV trying to obey Canadian law nothing more or nothing less.

Status
Please reply by conversation.