Lifetime Ala Carte?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Barry Erick said:
Why don't they give a alacarte price on all channels so we could all pick what we want? A Ala Carte or 180, 120, 60 or Family. That would make us all happy. I don't have kids... so drop that. Don't need MTV. Don't need Food. Don't need a bunch of the stuff I get because what I want is only in the 180 package.
Now, that would be great. If this whole Lifetime deal were to end in a la carte, that would be a terrific start. All we would need would be for the rest of them to follow.

Scott

Barry Erick said:
Why don't they give a alacarte price on all channels so we could all pick what we want? A Ala Carte or 180, 120, 60 or Family. That would make us all happy. I don't have kids... so drop that. Don't need MTV. Don't need Food. Don't need a bunch of the stuff I get because what I want is only in the 180 package.

sh*t man by what you say I'd probably have to pick up slack for TCM and IFC if sh*t like that went through but hopefully AMC would die in the process.

HA! Love it.
What do you think of the offer Lifetime?

Lifetime: Both Channels "should be available to all Dish subscribers without an extra cost"

No, no...there would be no extra cost. What do you think now?

Lifetime: *cricket* *cricket* *cricket* *cricket*

See ya
Tony

This is better than any Lifetime movie

I just can't wait to see what will happen tomorrow. The suspense, the plot, the bluffs, geez.
Will Lifetime find someway to counter Dish and still claim it is being attacked for being a channel for women?
Will Dish manage to hold on to it's advantage, and how will they manage to gain more media exposure?
Will other channels be affected in the future because of this?
Will Mickey Mouse decide to kick out Hearst and Lifetime because of how badly they have handled this situation?
Will Mickey finally marry Minnie, or will she never be an honest mouse?
Tune in tomorrow, Same bat time, Same bat channel.

:D :D

Basically Dish is saying that they're willing to pay (not the real numbers) $1.76 * maybe 1.5 million for what they were willing to pay $1 * 12 million for before the dispute. Chalie's offer is not at all serious.

This was a brilliant move on part of Dish. If Lifetime really has the mass amount of viewers they claim to have, then why not jump on this deal.

Its just like the must carry local channel thing. The channels are Free, but how many customers actually request the FREE 2nd Dish to pick them up?

As a dealer, I haven't head a peep from customers about lifetime, I think Dish is finding out the same thing on their end!

Take a look at the Viacom fiasco, 3 days and they where forced to give in because they couldn't take the amount of cancellations from customers.

The lifetime Fiasco has gone on for 3 weeks, I think if it was hurting DISH Networks customer base by people cancelling, Dish would have been more eager to come to an agreement.

At this point the people who couldn't live without their lifetime have already cancelled and have switched to Directv or cable.

Unless there is some big wave in cancellations in the next few weeks, I think the longer this goes on the more Dish will more than likely win!

so let me get this straight. Lifetime wants to raise the rate 70%. E* says h#ll no, they would have to pass it on to the cutomers, cant do that. talks end. Then, E* wants to give it away free ???? HUH !?!?!!? I'm confused.

Claude Greiner said:
This was a brilliant move on part of Dish. If Lifetime really has the mass amount of viewers they claim to have, then why not jump on this deal.
At this point the people who couldn't live without their lifetime have already cancelled and have switched to Directv or cable.

Lifetime's average viewership in primetime is only around 1.75M (across ALL providers). Cut that number into total Dish subscribers and I'd doubt the number is over 500K (at most)

JPointerWI said:
so let me get this straight. Lifetime wants to raise the rate 70%. E* says h#ll no, they would have to pass it on to the cutomers, cant do that. talks end. Then, E* wants to give it away free ???? HUH !?!?!!? I'm confused.

Dish is calling Lifetime's bluff that claims they have "scorned viewers numbering in the millions". Charlie is figuring (correctly) that the number really is a drop in the bucket and is offering compensation that's commensurate all while getting the public onus off of him ("well we were willing to give it to you for FREE, but Lifetime refused")

An amazing ploy! Dish tells them that they will pay them their price but that customers have to request the channel. Most people won't, especially if it is stand alone Lifetime. Lifetime's ad revenue decreases due to lower subscribed viewers while Charlie's costs actually decline due to the relatively low "take" rate. Meanwhile, Charlie looks like the good guy protecting the "little guy" (or girl) from the big bad media companies. Wow! Love him or hate him, this is just beautiful. Oh by the way, my wife has yet to even notice that Lifetime is gone...

This is all about who look the best from a PR point of view.

***No Network that depends on advertising revenue would ever accept a la carte ****

Charlies latest suggestion is just another "a la carte" disguise. Of course, he is not stupid and will try to make it look like he is really trying but in the end the only ones that suffer are those that care about the channel. I personally do not care about the channel but if it was a channel like scifi, espn, history or your **favorite** channel would you think differently then?

Here's something for Charlie: Why doesn't he do the same for every channel. I double dare him to let me choose only the channels I want by calling Dish Network and the rest I will not pay for them. How about that option for evey subscriber --- that is only fair.

Lifetime would be wise to take Charlie up on the offer. It is just a ploy, but Dish would lose a good amount on the offer. Just the paperwork, customer rep time, and billing set up for a la carte would run into millions of dollars.

I am losing any respect I might have had for Mr. Ergin. Now if he will let me opt out of ESPN and all the other sports channels, I would see he isn't just another BSer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)