losing prime time TV in Alaska

I am corresponding with dish network via email, but what they told me so far is just plain a joke. Quote "The receivers need an absolute minimum of signal strength of 70 to work properly." if we get around 65 we are just happy, usually it's between 60 - 65 up here and 55-60 down in the valley with the trees etc.

The newer receivers use a different meter than the older boxes. The older boxes would max out at 100 whereas the newer ones max at 125 for signal strength.

The older boxes 50+ signal is fine :)

Legacy receivers only use legacy lnbfs unless theres a dp adapter. A signal strength of 50 on any receiver is basicly the knifes edge though I dont know about the new meter system that dish has so generaly if the signal drops below 50 then you start to get pixeling and audio drop then it goes to aquiring satellite signal. Tonight turn the receiver on and go into the signal strength screen and put it on the transponder your loosing and watch the signal strength starting 20 minutes prior to when you loose it to see if there is a gradual loss or a sudden loss.

Gradual could still mean a wobble of the sat while a sudden does indicate that something is causing interference with the signal or system.

Well wobble is what I call it, not sure what they call it but it does sound as if its not staying stationary as it normaly would so it makes me wonder how long things will last with a new lnbf.

Nice two story house you've got there but is it safe to have the pig that close to the house?

Looks like beautiful country there and definitely more tree'd than I would have expected and a bit surprising to see a hardwood there as well.

My wife considered moving to Alaska for about 5 minutes until she found out how cold it gets.

Depending upon where the signal is being re-uplinked, there may be issues with weather there. If signals are coming from Anchorage or Eagle River, check and see what the weather is around the state. Clear weather in Fairbanks or your area may not help in a situation where the effective transmit signal to the satellite from Anchorage is impeded by heavy snow or even accumulated snow on a transmit antenna. Since it is happening to a large number of people with smaller antennas, I would suspect that there is just enough of a fluctuation in the entire system that those folks are getting knocked out, while someone with a 3 or 4 foot offset antenna may have less problems.

Should you need to look at larger antennas, and have a friend that could transport from Anchorage northward, check with my old colleague John McPherson at Satellite Alaska in Anchorage. He brings antennas in by the container load into Anchorage, which greatly reduces the cost for antenna for freight, and if you have extra room in the back of a pickup that is going to Anchorage anyway---the numbers might make sense as opposed to freight charges for a single antenna inbound to the Fairbanks area on a commercial truck line.

Anyone still using C-band out there? A good number of Alaskan radio stations as well as Rural Alaska TV Network and educational TV channels from Fairbanks and Juneau on 139 West, with an MPEG-2 free to air receiver.
If you know of any unused big dishes, it just takes a simple free to air box that can tune these signals. Radio now includes public outlets KUAC-Fairbanks, KSKA-Anchorage, KTOO-Juneau and KCAW-Sitka. It's possible that Dutch Harbor's radio station is also on there too. Will check things out on a future trip into eastern Siberia later this winter on a construction project, when I have access to these signals (I don't here in Wisconsin). Check out the MPEG-2 channel charts for some free signals on both C and Ku-band on our website at www.global-cm.net

(Ex-Alaskan, from 1974 to 1987)

Last edited:
Update: we were doing fine a couple of days but now it's worse than before, still waiting for the new LNB from dish network to be shipped.
Since I do have starband I know of the weather problems were the signal comes from, but what still baffles me is the time, it;'s ALWAYS around 6.30-7pm when we lose it and it comes back around 10-10.30pm. Perhaps little devils playing?
Oh and BTW, my story (brag brag) is in the new Country Woman magazine. I assume here are more guys than girls, but I'm somewhat excited.......

The yeti sounds more like it, if it would be military there would be way more people affected.
One of the affected switched LNB but it did not work, perhaps because it was an older LNB, too.
And talking to dish network is more than frustrating, I'll wait for the new LNB and go from there. All around here think it's dish network, wanting us to buy newer and more expensive equipment.
And if it would be something military, usually that stuff is in the newspaper, how about aliens?

At this point we are so frustrated, no football for hubby past 7pm what makes it hard on me too.............
directv sounds better and better, we just want our tv back.
Again, thanks for all your help

digi

Its channels on 119...the OP only has a dish at 119...and Anchorage locals are on 119 TP9 ;)

Ahhh... guess I should of consulted my on list, eh? ;) I don't recall seeing any licenses for uplink locations in AK though, betting on Cheyenne or Gilbert is uplinking those.

Is it all of the transponders? just the spotbeam? or more?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)