Lost functionality going from ViP to Hopper receiver

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
I lamented creating a list like this, and when someone else suggested it would be helpful to them, I decided to create this thread. This is off the top of my head and does not have all the details and I'm sure I will miss some other differences, so any input/corrections is appreciated.

No DVR list view, everything is picturebook icons (except maybe when viewing entries in custom groups?) How does sort work on the icons?

I think DVR groups acts differently, but not sure of the specifics

3-hour guide drops to 2.5 hours

lose 4x FF/RW speed (H3 now, all other Hoppers soon)

Can't rename recordings

Dish Pass is now Seek and Record (works differently?). Seems the new UI makes the Seek and Record function even more difficult to use and has some flaws.

Hitting record during live TV records back to the beginning of the show in the buffer, not just at the point you hit record from. I got one explanation that if you rewind some before recording, it will record from the point that you rewound to, but still unclear on the exact circumstances.

Can't choose the time of day for the updates.

Issues with OTA recording on the H3, at least for most users.

Last edited:
The only one on your list that is irritating to me is the change to how Seek and Record sets up. To me it is confusing.

Also I haven't figured out how to do a manual series link/recording.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

lose 4x FF/RW speed (H3, possibly all Hoppers soon)
This is part of the new UI, which reports indicate will apply to all Hoppers very soon, so I'd remove the "possibly all".
Can't rename recordings (why would you need to rename something when it's just an icon? heh)
It has the of the show under the icon.
Seems the new UI removes the Seek and Record function?
Incorrect. It's still there. It's hard to get to though and has some flaws too.

I'll make corrections shortly. I know there has to be more items I'm missing.
It has the of the show under the icon.
If the name is long, how many characters show under the icon before it gets cut off? On the ViP list view, it's about 20-25, depending on character width.

If the name is long, how many characters show under the icon before it gets cut off?
Never paid attention as I guess I look at the 'icon' as much as anything. Some examples....

Halt and Ca...
Fear the W...
The Conjuri...
The Walkin...

Hell, they even cut off the PTAT name !! It shows up as

PrimeTime...

Ugh, so you may as well just use the icons at that point. My tongue-in-cheek comment that I deleted about renaming recordings being pointless kinda still stands. :)

You forgot to mention the reputed "bug" in DishAnywhere that allows us to play back programs from our EHDs. :D I have also found this feature very useful in deleting duplicate stuff I've archived by mistake. Can Hoppers at least see these recordings and delete them, if not play them back via Sling?

I really missed the DVR list mode. At first. Didn't like the icons. At first. But now, I think it's faster to find something.

You forgot to mention the reputed "bug" in DishAnywhere that allows us to play back programs from our EHDs. :D I have also found this feature very useful in deleting duplicate stuff I've archived by mistake. Can Hoppers at least see these recordings and delete them, if not play them back via Sling?
No, I have a HWS and it cannot see the EHD recordings. It is as if they are not there. You can't do anything with the recordings. That is one thing I miss about the 722K that I had a few years ago.

Reactions: TheKrell
You forgot to mention the reputed "bug" in DishAnywhere that allows us to play back programs from our EHDs. :D
I can't bring myself to classify that as functionality that was left out. More like a bug fix. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
I really missed the DVR list mode. At first. Didn't like the icons. At first. But now, I think it's faster to find something.
When the "list" is sorted alphabetically, can you press "5" to go to the middle of the list of recordings? 7 roughly gets me to titles that start with P. 3 gets me near titles that start with D. I can't imagine anything faster than that. Plus I can READ a list up and down faster than I can scan icons across and up and down. I hate picturebooks. Roku, Hulu, DA, pretty much any website that "lists" video titles. UGH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)