Low signal strength between 501/510 recievers and possible bad switch not seeing 110?

NickGo

Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
I am seeking help with a recent issue during an upgrade to a Dish Network 510 DVR Receiver.

For a quick background, my 501 which I have had for about 6 years (through 4 moves where I have done the dish pointing myself) recently began acting up. After about an hour of playing the satellite signal would get lost. A hard reset would usually bring it back – but that is another story. So Dish upgraded my plan to include local channels and sent a replacement DVR the 510. Now for the questions
(which by the way this forum has helped me a lot over the past 6 hours - thanks)….

I have one account and run one receiver at a time during the following scenarios.
I am at zip code 27834 in NC.
Performing the following tests I have taken a small television and my receiver outside to a point about 6 feet away from the dish to exclude any cabling issues. Everything is nice and close and easily manipulated to check for tight connections, etc.

When I connect my old 501 my signal strength on sat 119 west is 121 out of 125.
When I disconnect the “satellite in” from the 501 and put it on the 510, a move of the coax cable of about 3 inches, the signal strength is only 75? It does lock on and give me a green bar. But if a bird flies by I will likely lose my signal. What accounts for the loss? Do I need to ship the receiver back? Certainly a drop of 50 points between different receivers isn’t right. Right?

Second, I cannot get sat 110. But wait this question is different. I am using a SW21 switch. I have two single LNBs each with two coax connectors on them. On the yolk I have a position for the 119 sat and the 110 sat. My skew is 130. My 119 LNB is connection to the switch at position “Dish 1” and the 110 LNB is connection to “Dish 2” on the switch. I have only one dish (with 2 LNBs) but the labels of Dish 1 /Dish 2 seem to be the standard input designations. With this configuration I am getting a signal strength of 75 for sat 119 and 110 is showing “Wrong sat 119” or something to that effect. Now for the twist, if I connect LNB110 to position “Dish 1” and LNB 119 to position “Dish 2” I get a signal strength on sat 110 of 75 and locked onto sat 110 while sat 119 is showing “Wrong sat 110.” To me this means the dish is pointing correctly, it can see both with a strength of 75, but not at the same time. The input “Dish 2” on the SW21 does not seem to be registering an input. Is this a known issue of a failed switch? Is there another explanation? By the way this scenario of the Dish 2 input not registering happens on both the 501 and the 510.

One more note, I don’t think the switch has anything to do with the low signal strength on the 510 because I am using the same switch to get a 119 signal on the 501. Thank you for any thoughts on either topic.

Best Regards,
-Nick G.

Not sure, but I don't think I'd be overly conerned about the difference in signal strength indications on 2 different model receivers, unless you had seen them equal before you started having problems.

I think I'd try a new SW21, sounds like the one you have may be bad. They are cheap.

Good Luck, Eric

I have seen something similar with a SW21X setup for an RV. In that case when the satellites are switched it takes from 15 seconds to a minute of "Error 004 ... run switch test" off and on before the correct satellie locks in and the error goes away. Two different SW21Xs act the same way. This does not happen with a SW64. I wonder if it is a power issue.

Try just letting it sit there for a while and see if it switches.

Solution

It was the switch. I found one local for $20 and that fixed it.

You were right about the signal strength. It seems that even in the setup menu it says the strength is not what you may be used to.

Thank you.

-Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts