Luken has redeemed himself

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well the big news in all this is that Luken is making a comeback and they are on KU again which is really great because a lot of people just can't put up a BUD.
So FTA just got a little bit better for a whole lot of folks.. :D

Reactions: FTA4PA
couple thoughts
-Luken didnt "redeem himself". The feed is up there for an affiliate (Mako Communications) who is carrying that and the new Rev'N TV when it launches in December. If or when Mako finds a new way to get the signal I'm sure the feed will be gone.
-Analog LP stations are LEGAL. There is a few of them in Minnesota. Mainly translator stations in some remote areas of Minnesota. I know the Fox affiliate in Duluth has 6 or 7 analog translators still (one is near the lake house). At our lake house ABC & FOX are in analog still. They have until sometime in 2016 to upgrade to digital (was 2015 but got delayed again).

Well I guess maybe I was bit unclear about my opinion on how things are going at Luken.
I was really saying that I feel they are redeeming themselves because the content is improving and they are getting real sponsors. That's my assumption and opinion which is worth pretty much zero.

I wasn't saying they have redeemed themselves because they are back on KU. I was saying that being back on KU is a bonus for everyone. I hope they stay there but apparently that won't be happening from what you're saying.
That situation is something I know nothing at all about. I am completely oblivious to what this Mako thing is about. I am sad to learn that this is going to be a temporary thing. :(

As for the analog thing, I don't know. All I know is what I read on Wikipedia, someone wrote that what KUMY is doing is illegal. I assumed that they knew what they were talking about, I thought wikipedia has a lot of oversight about posting valid stuff.

But in the end it doesn't matter. KUMY is a Spanish only station now and I have zero interest in them anymore. The equipment I have that can record OTA can not receive analog so that just adds more zeros to the pile of zeros I give about the Spanish station. It's no longer of any concern to me. IF they actually do bring up a digital channel next year and carry Retro, that would great. I probably won't watch it because it will probably have that giant watermark on the lower 1/3 but maybe other people will find it fun to watch. I hope so. I want them to succeed and I want Luken to succeed as well.

As for me I guess I'll have to put up my BUD at the new house after all. It's not going to be a high priority but I plan to get it done sometime in the next two months. There's a KU dish up there right now so I won't be completely out of FTA service once I move. For now I'm going to focus on just moving, that alone is going to be a huge pain. And as long as Retro is on KU I'm going to watch it daily and enjoy it while I can.

My beef with RTV is that they keep airing the same 20 episodes of Lassie, they were airing before RTV was pulled out of Ku.
What´s the deal with that, I wonder? How come they´re stuck with the same 20 episodes or so, when there are hundreds of them :rolleyes:

More money spent on golf courses than on programming?

That situation is something I know nothing at all about. I am completely oblivious to what this Mako thing is about. I am sad to learn that this is going to be a temporary thing. :(
I never said it was temporary. Mako Communications owns TV stations across the country. They are mainly low powered stations. In this case Mako has an agreement to carry RetroTV in markets where its not already carried. It was posted in the original thread when they were uplinked (the one where you felt the need to post huge screenshots of your computer screen...thumbnails work better).
So if Mako either drops RetroTV or decides on a better/different way to get the feed then I am sure it will leave. Looking at what they "normally" affiliate with its mainly stations that are actively on KU Band right now.

As for the analog thing, I don't know. All I know is what I read on Wikipedia, someone wrote that what KUMY is doing is illegal. I assumed that they knew what they were talking about, I thought wikipedia has a lot of oversight about posting valid stuff.
because everything you read on the internet is true ;)

Reactions: eurosport
Yup anyone can update Wikipedia and a lot of the information there is far from accurate.

Think of it like a bathroom stall and a phone book, sure the bathroom stall might have phone numbers in it and anyone can add more numbers to it. While only the phone book is the place you will find an official list of numbers.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I never said it was temporary. Mako Communications owns TV stations across the country. They are mainly low powered stations. In this case Mako has an agreement to carry RetroTV in markets where its not already carried. It was posted in the original thread when they were uplinked (the one where you felt the need to post huge screenshots of your computer screen...thumbnails work better).
So if Mako either drops RetroTV or decides on a better/different way to get the feed then I am sure it will leave. Looking at what they "normally" affiliate with its mainly stations that are actively on KU Band right now.

because everything you read on the internet is true ;)

Obviously I'm a troublesome idiot. Please just go ahead and delete the thread. I have nothing to contribute here.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the C-Band/KU Universe!!!

I'm glad to see Retro is getting better. I have not viewed it since it went off KUBand on 83West. Now that it is back on KU, I wonder if my old PanSat 2700 be able to receive the KU feed, or will I need a more sophisticated receiver? If the PanSat 2700 won't work, will a CoolSat 8000 do the job?? Money is tight, and I'd like to use the receivers I have on hand. So any info I can get on the G19 Retro feed, and what equipment I'll need to receive it will be appreciated. Right now by 20 year old 10 foot Dish is parked on 101 for METV. I don't want to move it around 10 times a day between Retro, and METV, so a separate KU feed for Retro will do fine for me. Does anyone have any idea how long METV will stay FTA? I'm still getting METV on my 10 footer, but signal strength, and quality numbers are slightly reduced for the past 4 weeks.
Thanks,
Richyriles

It is MPEG4 (not HD) so the Pansat 2700 won't work. It only gets MEPG2. While it will log the station you will only get the audio.
The Coolsat 8000 WILL work just fine. That receives MPEG2 and MPEG4

As for MeTV, who knows. Originally it was rumoured to be gone at the beginning of November but that hasnt happened yet

It is MPEG4 (not HD) so the Pansat 2700 won't work. It only gets MEPG2. While it will log the station you will only get the audio.
The Coolsat 8000 WILL work just fine. That receives MPEG2 and MPEG4

As for MeTV, who knows. Originally it was rumoured to be gone at the beginning of November but that hasnt happened yet

Thanks for the info on RETRO and G19. If I understand this METV business, if and when METV is no longer FTA, does that mean it goes the Terrestial route as a CBS subchannel?? Also, are they are planning to go HD? Sometimes less is more, and I don't want any changes with METV.

Thanks for the info on RETRO and G19.
the feed on G19 is for an affiliate so again it could be here today gone tomorrow

If I understand this METV business, if and when METV is no longer FTA, does that mean it goes the Terrestial route as a CBS subchannel??
no. MeTV has no affiliation with a network. If they leave FTA they probably would go internet or fibre for transmissions. Any affiliate in a market can pick up MeTV. As example in Minneapolis and Duluth, MN its a subchannel on the ABC stations. But in Rochester, MN its a subchannel on Fox. There is a new station being created called "Decades" that WILL be on the CBS owned stations. Weigel (owner of MeTV) has a stake in that station. But again the subchannels out there (me, this, movies!, bounce, retro, etc) they get agreements with broadcast owners to carry it. There are some agreements where if the main station is owned by the network they carry it. Example is Movies! If your Fox station is owned by Fox themselves they carry Movies! Otherwise any other station in a market could carry ti

Also, are they are planning to go HD?
no. Since it is mainly a subchannel over the air (which are usually SD) there is no reason to go HD. There are a couple affiliates that do upconvert it to "HD"

the feed on G19 is for an affiliate so again it could be here today gone tomorrow

no. MeTV has no affiliation with a network. If they leave FTA they probably would go internet or fibre for transmissions. Any affiliate in a market can pick up MeTV. As example in Minneapolis and Duluth, MN its a subchannel on the ABC stations. But in Rochester, MN its a subchannel on Fox. There is a new station being created called "Decades" that WILL be on the CBS owned stations. Weigel (owner of MeTV) has a stake in that station. But again the subchannels out there (me, this, movies!, bounce, retro, etc) they get agreements with broadcast owners to carry it. There are some agreements where if the main station is owned by the network they carry it. Example is Movies! If your Fox station is owned by Fox themselves they carry Movies! Otherwise any other station in a market could carry ti

no. Since it is mainly a subchannel over the air (which are usually SD) there is no reason to go HD. There are a couple affiliates that do upconvert it to "HD"

THanks Again for the info. I surely appreciate it. Sounds like I better record what I can, while I can. I'd like to loop a few receivers for Retro. Is the audio from Retro on G19 in AC3? I have a Traxis 4000 lying around, great for Blind Scan, but I never could use it for METV, as it can't decode the AC3 directly from the box. Will it work on Retro as a stand alone, where sound will be coming out from the RCA connections? IN the past, I used the Traxis for Retro when they where on 83West. There it worked fine, but in my looping chain, the Traxis had to be used as the end of the line, as I could never get it to loop out it's signal to another receiver, unlike Pansat's, and Coolsats, which do this real easily.

THanks,
Richyriles

Status
Please reply by conversation.