Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I'm sorry I wrote the title like a 4 year old but this is funny

So as most of you know I'm the president of our HOA board. My neighbor in the townhouse complex is also on the board. I also have 3 dishes and an antenna on the roof of my townhouse

So tonight we have a "quick" (yeah right) meeting to decide which color shingles we are going to get for our new roofs. We decide on one then they start talking about other board things (uh ok....)...then all of a sudden my neighbor says "so what are you going to do with the dishes you have on the roof when they put the new roof on?"

I responded with "I'll take them down the night before and they'll go back up when they're done"

She tells me "no you can't because you're only allowed one dish because the board says ......"

I busted out laughing and explained nicely that FCC Otard overrides the board's "silly little rule". I starting explaining that OTARD protects me and even stated some of their (the board) rules on placement and how many. The board rule says it has to be on the deck or on the edge of the roof which mine are. They are all within the designated rules that protects me and they are all sealed properly so no leaks and even offered to bring the OTARD rule that protects me. I've been helping people with OTARD and HOA's for years

she says "well I have a lawyer friend who will look at it".,..I said "she can look at it all she wants. The rule protects me and allows me to put as many dishes up as I want. They have to be on my exclusive area but if the townhouse complex allows another spot then they waive their part of "exclusive" which you say it can be on the edge of the roof.

One other board member asked can they go on the deck and I explained no because I cant get a signal then (true)

The best thing my neighbor can come back with was "well it looks like s**t"...That set me off quicker than a firecracker. I said "you cant see it from the road or the driveway. You can only see it if you walk around to my yard....oh so Bill (her husband) decides since he makes his own beer he is going to nail a "T" 12-15 feet on top of his chimney to grow hops (same side of the house as the dish farm is). Yeah that dont look like s**t...When you open the garage and if I walked in there I couldnt even find room for a fart because its so packed full...yeah that dont look like hell

She got so mad because I told her if you have an issue with it well then YOU are going to have to file a grievance with the FCC and the board isnt paying for it she said "I have to go home and eat now" :D

The funny part is she is resigning from the board next month anyways so why does it bother her?

oh well...so even being the board president I need OTARD in my pocket :) I guess she learned dont argue with me about my dish farm

Pretty good story

Boy - - - I guess I don't know how good I got it living out in the country!!

I only have to put up with my wife complaining about the dishes.

So have you heard the last of this? Or more drama to come? :eek:

Seriously I dont think anything will happen. She's just mad because I'm going to put holes in the new roof. I guess she forgets that they have a slimline 5 LNB on the roof too ;)

Like I say she's resigning from the board next month because she is going back to school. My term is up and they'll ask me to stay. I do too much good for the board. The other ones are wusses when it comes to enforcing anything or speaking with the home owners when they are late on the dues. They like me doing that :)

Oh by the way...she doesnt understand what the word "grandfathered" means either. Their rule (before I was on the board) says you were "grandfathered" if you had more on the roof. She thinks that because we're getting a new roof I'd lose that grandfathering...um no I wouldn't.

The only thing they might try is the 6 footer wouldnt be covered under OTARD...but its on my deck which is my EXCLUSIVE area :)

Bob I've lived here for coming up on 8 years. When I got my house this was during the "way too many buyers no sellers" so at the time I could afford this and all I had was Dish

The KU dishes went up 6+ years ago

What is funny is there are 3 or 4 folks who have 2 dish setups on the roof including a new one near me. Eastern Arc + Int'l dish

In and around the city of Erie there are many places that have a few dishes on the dwellings. Some are tacked on the side of the buildings and many are on the roof too. It seems like people will switch between pizza services and just leave the unused ones up there! :eek:

A neighbor built a house which is well over 4000 square feet and placed 2 dishes, one for pizza and the other for internet, right on the roof facing the road! They are an eyesore for a huge house that is out of place here. It is just a little bigger than mine! :p (BS!) The installer wanted to put them on the ground but the homeowner requested them on the roof! Lots of holes in that new roof and they are near the peak of the roof!

In and around the city of Erie there are many places that have a few dishes on the dwellings. Some are tacked on the side of the buildings and many are on the roof too. It seems like people will switch between pizza services and just leave the unused ones up there! :eek:

yeah we got some like that too. The building by mine which you CAN see the decks from the road has some beauts
the closest to the road has a D500 that they canceled so its the dish, no LNB and cables hanging out of the arm of the dish about 6 inches
another one has a D* dish on the deck and a E* dish on the roof

Is this 6 footer your porta Bud??? :confused:

no. I have a 6 footer on the deck mainly for 99W but can move to 91W

I have another 6 footer that I wheel out of the garage that when I started doing that, the board (I was VP at the time) said I couldnt do that. I said "we allow one car deep outside the garage. My truck is in the garage so I'm putting the dish outside". Nothing else was ever said :)

I am categorically against HOAs. I think they're a racket and ought to be banned. That being said, it's good to have one of us on the board than have it filled with a bunch of haters.

Hey this is pretty cool. Bing shows the house and the old dish farm :)

IN the pic those 3 pine trees between my townhouse row and the road block the dish farm...the only thing you can see is the tip top of the C-Band dish

I cant blow it up any bigger but I see my motorized, the T90, the aerial and one other dish :)

My next door neighbor to the left (in the pic) if you look at their garage their D* dish is there.....gee nothing is said about that and we prefer it isnt on the side of the house with the driveways

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 438
Ice, I work with a guy who has been on his condo board for years. Some of the stories he tells of the silliness are amazing. Right now they are discussing the dog crap in the neighborhood...the latest arguement. I'm glad I live out in the country lol.....Blind:)

I'm not part of an HOA but my lot is bordered on two sides by senior citizen condos. At least once a year they forget I'm not part of their association and pay me a visit to discuss my dishes.

If this is too political, then delete it, but HOAs are a microcosm of governmental bodies today: filled with beaurocrats who want recognition and control and have nothing better to do than to try to control the lives of others, passing rules and regulations that they feel only apply to other people [evidence the hop trellis] because in their minds, they are the ruling-class "intellectual elites". Ice, although your situation does not apply to me, I applaud you for having the danglies to take a stand. Freedoms have eroded because far too many keep their mouths shut and go along to get along. Being informed of our rights is a great defense. What's right is right even if some picky whiner doesn't like it. Ooh Rah!!

Ice, I work with a guy who has been on his condo board for years. Some of the stories he tells of the silliness are amazing. Right now they are discussing the dog crap in the neighborhood...the latest arguement. I'm glad I live out in the country lol.....Blind:)

what's there to argue about? If you have a dog clean up after it. Not really that hard to comprehend :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)