MLB 2012-13 off-season notes & transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the John Farrell press conference........VERY impressive. I know it's gonna take a while to turn this thing around, but I feel so much better today with the direction this team is going. Welcome back to Boston, John!! :)

I don't think it ever takes a while for a big market team to turn it around. This isn't like Oakland, where they trade rising players for prospects and hope they bloom at the same time. The Red Sox have about $80 million or so to use on additional payroll, so whether they contend immediately or not will just depend on what kind of years Bailey, Bard, Melanson and (yeech!) Lackey have.

There goes Ozzie. Personally, do NOT think he was at fault. The team should have NEVER signed Heath Bell. They should have gone after cheaper FA than Reyes. They COULD have easily signed Felder...but they went after the Pujols, offering him MORE money. Stupid. The scouting when it comes to trades have been downright pathetic.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8543189/ozzie-guillen-fired-manager-miami-marlins

The Marlins need to revamp the scouting department and fire UPPER management from the GM and up...including the ownership.

Watching the John Farrell press conference........VERY impressive. I know it's gonna take a while to turn this thing around, but I feel so much better today with the direction this team is going. Welcome back to Boston, John!! :)

Be proud, Red Sox Nation! You have a class act running your team on the field. BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

Tigers could potentially be looking as well.

Theres a possibility that if the Tigers win the WS, that Leyland could hang it up ...
With all the major players gone already manager wise, I hope he sticks around.

Was really expecting for Franconia to still be around ... (maybe a "If this happens, will you make yourself available) type of thing.

This ownership has some major issues. They should have never fired Girardi; they should have never fired Gonzalez; I don't think they should have fired Guillen either.

SkiKing said:
This ownership has some major issues. They should have never fired Girardi; they should have never fired Gonzalez; I don't think they should have fired Guillen either.

The ownership is pathetic.

When they bought the Marlins...our very own Ice warned me about Loria and that poodle son-in-law Sampson....

I wanted baseball here...but there is so much to research on whether you vote for something or not when it comes to money for stadiums.

What works in his favor unlike Bobby V is that Farrell know Boston and I think most of the guys are still there when he was there.

There goes Ozzie. Personally, do NOT think he was at fault. The team should have NEVER signed Heath Bell. They should have gone after cheaper FA than Reyes. They COULD have easily signed Felder...but they went after the Pujols, offering him MORE money. Stupid. The scouting when it comes to trades have been downright pathetic.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8543189/ozzie-guillen-fired-manager-miami-marlins

The Marlins need to revamp the scouting department and fire UPPER management from the GM and up...including the ownership.

I dont like Ozzie. I think he has a huge ego and swears like a sailor. I think Reyes was a good fit for Miami. The problem is that they went after Fielder and Pujols and got neither one.

5 managers is way too much. How can you establish a rhythm if you keep firing guys. The Girardi and Gonzalez firing were especially puzzling.

Be proud, Red Sox Nation! You have a class act running your team on the field. BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

Lets hope the Red Sox get back on track. It seems like you got a good hire. Look, if the Red Sox had to go through what they went through this year, there 100th year no less, and get something like a playoff birth or even another World Series win, then I think it would have been worth it. Yes?

The ownership is pathetic.

When they bought the Marlins...our very own Ice warned me about Loria and that poodle son-in-law Sampson....

I wanted baseball here...but there is so much to research on whether you vote for something or not when it comes to money for stadiums.

I thought when they gutted the 97 Marlins was bad, this might be worse. I saw an ESPN Classic game with the Marlins and the Indians WS Game 3 and you look at the Marlins lineup and they were loaded. I always thought how that team was gutted was a disgrace because you want to talk about buying a World Series. Look no further then the 97 Marlins.

But Salsa, they are in control. They figure "You want a new stadium, well then keep your mouth and dont say nothing." Its a terrible way to be. Sad part too, is where is the scouting? I seem to remember how the Marlins had all this young talent and what happened to it?

Mets82 said:
I dont like Ozzie. I think he has a huge ego and swears like a sailor. I think Reyes was a good fit for Miami. The problem is that they went after Fielder and Pujols and got neither one.

5 managers is way too much. How can you establish a rhythm if you keep firing guys. The Girardi and Gonzalez firing were especially puzzling.

I thought when they gutted the 97 Marlins was bad, this might be worse. I saw an ESPN Classic game with the Marlins and the Indians WS Game 3 and you look at the Marlins lineup and they were loaded. I always thought how that team was gutted was a disgrace because you want to talk about buying a World Series. Look no further then the 97 Marlins.

But Salsa, they are in control. They figure "You want a new stadium, well then keep your mouth and dont say nothing." Its a terrible way to be. Sad part too, is where is the scouting? I seem to remember how the Marlins had all this young talent and what happened to it?

A few things...Marlins KNEW what they were getting into with Ozzie. He is a good manager, regardless of the swearing. Believe me when I tell you, when Leyland was here, he use to swear just as bad. Anyways, Ozzie is a good players manager...is issue was he was believing his own hype...thought he was bigger than the game and the Fidel Castro thing humbled him. This firing will also humble him.

And a slight correction...the Marlins never went after Fielder. They wanted Pujols for the latin fan since the stadium sat right in the middle of a section of Miami called "Little Havana". But...it would have been a better and cheaper signing than signing Pujols for 10 years and $250 million.

As far as buy a World Series...with teams like the Yankees and Dodgers...and lately, the Red Sox, Rangers and Angles...to single that year as a perfect example of buying a World Series is a very unfair...don't you think?

Finally, as far as all the young talent...yeah, ww had that. They are now the Detroit Tigers and that AMAZING GM in Dave Dombrowski. After he left, he the Marlins organization has been riding his coattails for years now.

A few things...Marlins KNEW what they were getting into with Ozzie. He is a good manager, regardless of the swearing. Believe me when I tell you, when Leyland was here, he use to swear just as bad. Anyways, Ozzie is a good players manager...is issue was he was believing his own hype...thought he was bigger than the game and the Fidel Castro thing humbled him. This firing will also humble him.

And a slight correction...the Marlins never went after Fielder. They wanted Pujols for the latin fan since the stadium sat right in the middle of a section of Miami called "Little Havana". But...it would have been a better and cheaper signing than signing Pujols for 10 years and $250 million.

As far as buy a World Series...with teams like the Yankees and Dodgers...and lately, the Red Sox, Rangers and Angles...to single that year as a perfect example of buying a World Series is a very unfair...don't you think?

Finally, as far as all the young talent...yeah, ww had that. They are now the Detroit Tigers and that AMAZING GM in Dave Dombrowski. After he left, he the Marlins organization has been riding his coattails for years now.

And to think most up here don't like him and don't give him much credit.
I am not among them though, I like Dave and glad he's here.

As for Ozzie and being humbled by getting fired, I doubt that would happen, he's been fired before, no different this time.

Last edited:
Jimbo said:
And to think most up here don't like him and don't give him much credit.
I am not among them though, I like Dave and glad he's here.

s for Ozzie and being humbled by getting fired, I doubt that would happen, he's been fired before, no different this time.

He was at the helm for a long time...he wanted out of the White Sox as much as they wanted him out. It was mutual. Also, being fired after a few months, regardless of what the job is ...is very humbling.

I should have clairified. The thing is with the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Angels is that yes, they have money and won World Series but they mostly have the same guys and are in the playoffs almost every year. The Marlins just gutted the whole team after they won the World Series. I dont think I've ever seen a team win a World Series and then get rid of everybody.

Mets82 said:
I should have clairified. The thing is with the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Angels is that yes, they have money and won World Series but they mostly have the same guys and are in the playoffs almost every year. The Marlins just gutted the whole team after they won the World Series. I dont think I've ever seen a team win a World Series and then get rid of everybody.

Wayne Huezinga didn't give a ratz a$$ about baseball. He owned all 3 south Florida teams (only teams at the time, if I am not mistaken, the Heat weren't around), but the only team he cared about was the Dolphins. As soon as that guy got his WS win, he wanted to gut the team and sell it in hopes someone would move it out of Miami because he wanted no part of a baseball team playing in his beloved Pro Player Stadium.

Wayne Huezinga didn't give a ratz a$$ about baseball. He owned all 3 south Florida teams (only teams at the time, if I am not mistaken, the Heat weren't around), but the only team he cared about was the Dolphins. As soon as that guy got his WS win, he wanted to gut the team and sell it in hopes someone would move it out of Miami because he wanted no part of a baseball team playing in his beloved Pro Player Stadium.

I never knew that Huezinga also owned the Panthers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCAA Tournament "First Round"

Baseball Project Montreal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)