MLB Network

just to be clear... the article does not say MLBN would be 'exclusive too' current EI carriers, just that it would be 'available too' current EI carriers.
This coincides more with what cubswin was saying about MLB securing distribution of the channel than anything else.

thats not how I read it...see below (bolded part)

MLB Net is a seperate 24/7 channel available to ALL subs of the provider that carries it within a certain base package. A sub does not need to sign up for EI to have MLB Net. The provider does, however, have to carry EI in order to carry MLB Net.

I read that as the company has to carry EI to get access to MLB Net

by the way I went ot the MLB Net's website to see the old "I want ______________ to add MLB Network". Here is their stock letter (

"I am writing to request that you add MLB Network to your lineup.

Please let me know that I will be seeing MLB Network as part of your lineup very soon."

Damn you would have thought they would put a little more effort into the letter :)

well, I hate to tell you...quoting DK isn't going to prove much. :)

and your 'interpretation' of the article is just as valid as my own no matter how one can spin it, so...

this really isn't a suffucient basis here for exonerating MLB from blame, is it? seriously...

both can be blamed

Dish for not picking up MLB EI
MLB for tieing the two together

I guess we'll just have to see what happens :)

First, I've been a continuous Dish Network subscriber since June, 1999. I am one of their "high end" subscribers who feed Charlie over $100 per month for TV service (all-HD, all movie channels).

I also love Baseball. MLB Baseball. Here in west-central Illinois, I can watch the RSN's or WGN and catch nearly all Cub, Cardinal, White Sox, and Brewer games, which I LOVE!!!!

I really really really want to watch the new MLB Network. So, I've sent over a dozen e-mails and have made over a dozen calls since July '08 to Dish Network requesting that they add the MLB Network when it came online on 1/1/09. I've only gotten back "one" e-mail from Dish Network since that time regarding my request.

I love my VIP622 and it's OTA capability. I don't subscribe for locals TV signals and never will, so having the OTA built into the reciever (or going to best busy and buying a Sanyo or Samsung digital converter) is essential to me. But not having the MLB Network trumps my love of the VIP622.

I've decided to give Cheap Charlie and his minions like Jim DeCastrated until March 31st, 2009 to either add the MLB Network to the Dish Network lineup...or this particular "coveted high-end subscriber" will switch my service to Direct TV.

Charlie Ergen will look like the "April Fool" he probably already is if tens of thousands of subscribers like me leave Dish Network in the next few months because they can't...or won't...make the MLB Network available to Dish Network subscribers.

THAT is MY new year's resolution!

I wonder how likely it would be that Dish could swing a deal for just the MLB Network when all the other carriers had to agree to both MLB Network and EI. And now all the other carriers are part owners of the MLB Network. I'd say very unlikely, except, maybe at a premium price.

both can be blamed

Dish for not picking up MLB EI
MLB for tieing the two together

I guess we'll just have to see what happens :)

Who knows...

Blamiing Dish for everything is the 'in vogue' thing to do in these situations. One just shouldn't forget that the decision of Dish to drop EI was a financial one. MLB increased the price dramatically, and E* no longer saw carraige as being cost-effective. We all know Charlie likes to right things on the lean side, and this is no different. Just like the Voom situation, the decision was unpopular with the patrons, justification was given from a business perspective, and whether or not is was right or wrong will be a topic of debate for years to come...;)

As for MLB, all we know is that it was included with EI as part of the deal two years ago. I've yet to see any indication that it wouldn't be available to providers separately in the context of what was being discussed back then. It does make sense that MLB would attach it to EI for a guaranteed distribution, but I'm not seeing any indication that it would ONLY be available through that means. It appears to me, if MLB is indeed tying MLBN to EI in the here and now, they are doing so only recently citing their previous agreements as their reasoning. And that is why I place most of the blame on MLB, even though it is generally considered blasephy to do so... ;)

ANyways...I'm done here. I've think I've expressed myself well enough and I'm repeating myself more than even I'm comfortable with. If my point isn't clear by now...than well, there isn't much I can do right now to help anyone else understand it. All I can ask it to take the time to understand it, agree with it or not, but at least understand it...because its not likely to change unless sufficient evidence presents itself to justify the change. And that hasn't happened yet...

Blamiing Dish for everything is the 'in vogue' thing to do in these situations. One just shouldn't forget that the decision of Dish to drop EI was a financial one. MLB increased the price dramatically, and E* no longer saw carraige as being cost-effective. We all know Charlie likes to right things on the lean side, and this is no different.
all I said is Dish is to blame for not picking up EI. Its not like they would bill everyone for it. Just the sports fans who want it.

As for MLB, all we know is that it was included with EI as part of the deal two years ago. I've yet to see any indication that it wouldn't be available to providers separately in the context of what was being discussed back then. It does make sense that MLB would attach it to EI for a guaranteed distribution, but I'm not seeing any indication that it would ONLY be available through that means. It appears to me, if MLB is indeed tying MLBN to EI in the here and now, they are doing so only recently citing their previous agreements as their reasoning.
MLB made it pretty simple. Want to carry MLB Net? Ya gotta carry MLB EI. In turn, we make you part owner of the new channel.

I've think I've expressed myself well enough and I'm repeating myself more than even I'm comfortable with. If my point isn't clear by now...than well, there isn't much I can do right now to help anyone else understand it. All I can ask it to take the time to understand it, agree with it or not, but at least understand it...because its not likely to change unless sufficient evidence presents itself to justify the change. And that hasn't happened yet...
and I guess the 6 or so people who have said otherwise and the numerous posts of proof tieing the two together you don't want to believe :rolleyes:

ANyways...I'm done here.
I'll believe it when I see it...you'll be back :)

all I said is Dish is to blame for not picking up EI. Its not like they would bill everyone for it. Just the sports fans who want it.

MLB made it pretty simple. Want to carry MLB Net? Ya gotta carry MLB EI. In turn, we make you part owner of the new channel.

and I guess the 6 or so people who have said otherwise and the numerous posts of proof tieing the two together you don't want to believe :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it...you'll be back :)

1) The sports fans who want it and were will to pay did not cost-justify its carraige, according to Charlie.

2) yes, while promoting EI under the new costs and terms they did that. Where did they say MLBN would be 'exclusive', and not available as an individual channel down the road UNLESS they signed? Where was the ultimatim?

3) the six people are the same-old six they always are. And the loose interpretation of news articles and quoting each other posts doesn't really prove anything. Come up with something tangible like I referenced in 2), than thats different...

4) OF course I'll be back, if I can't give a closing statement without it being commented on inaccurately, than I should be back. I made my point. You've made yours. All I ask for now is concrete evidence of the ultimatim. Until that presents itself, further discussion is meaningless.

That would be cool to be able to have multiple teams available. Here in MN its just the Twins...everything else blacked out

I know what you mean. It would be great to watch the other teams in the division at least. Red Sox out my way. That is fabulous but it would be nice to catch other games on the rare off night.

Who knows...

Blamiing Dish for everything is the 'in vogue' thing to do in these situations. One just shouldn't forget that the decision of Dish to drop EI was a financial one. MLB increased the price dramatically, and E* no longer saw carraige as being cost-effective.

This post begs a question, since you seem to want to read the actual contract BEFORE you say you would know the facts - yet you post things here WITHOUT having read the contract or knowing those very same facts.

What exactly was the cost to DISH in the expired contract, and how much did it go up in the new contract that they refused to agree to. You use words like it went up dramatcally, please QUANTIFY it. I see no evidence of it without reading the contract itself. I for one have NOT seen any public statements on what the cost of carriage is under this new contract. And I want exactly what you asked for - CONCRETE EVIDENCE to back up these statements.

This post begs a question, since you seem to want to read the actual contract BEFORE you say you would know the facts - yet you post things here WITHOUT having read the contract or knowing those very same facts.

What exactly was the cost to DISH in the expired contract, and how much did it go up in the new contract that they refused to agree to. You use words like it went up dramatcally, please QUANTIFY it. I see no evidence of it without reading the contract itself. I for one have NOT seen any public statements on what the cost of carriage is under this new contract. And I want exactly what you asked for - CONCRETE EVIDENCE to back up these statements.

hey...get over yourself here...

I made it very clear that I was only reiterating Charlies reasoning behind the whole thing as it was stated at the time...I never even said I believed it or supported it...

in case you don't remember your history, D* two years ago was going for EI exclusively and drove the bidding costs sky-high which was why Charlie threw his hands in the air over the whole thing. I recall even debating that whole thing with you even then! Thats what I was referring too...

its all part of history, you can look it up yourself if you like...but as I recall, you and I were actively discussing it at the time...

I see no reason for you to resurrect this nonsense with such faulty logic...you should know better...

hey...get over yourself here...

I made it very clear that I was only reiterating Charlies reasoning behind the whole thing as it was stated at the time...I never even said I believed it or supported it...

in case you don't remember your history, D* two years ago was going for EI exclusively and drove the bidding costs sky-high which was why Charlie threw his hands in the air over the whole thing. I recall even debating that whole thing with you even then! Thats what I was referring too...

its all part of history, you can look it up yourself if you like...but as I recall, you and I were actively discussing it at the time...

I see no reason for you to resurrect this nonsense with such faulty logic...you should know better...

Very convenient answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)