Moved and now UHF remote is intolerable

Mike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
I moved from an apartment to a townhome, I have one 922 that serves 3 TVs (where only 2 at most are used).

The receiver is in the living room downstairs and it works fine in there as well as in my bedroom directly upstairs, in the back half. But the other bedroom is on the front half upstairs.

Sometimes you have to press a button twice or three times. Then you are rewarded with having that button press repeated sometimes 10, 15, or 20 times. One time I saw the entire guide scroll by TWICE and I had set the remote down on the bed and no one was touching it!!! It is NOT the 922 it's self, they just replaced it, and even the original 922 I got brand new did this crap. I just assumed there were too many Wifi networks in the old apartment and that the problem might clear up after I moved.

I remember 10 years ago at my mom's house we had a 501 with the UHF remote. It never did garbage like this. Either the button worked or it didn't but it NEVER repeated it 15 friggin' times.

If I waste another 20 minutes I could probably move the receiver from the far end of the living room towards the middle of the apartment and that MIGHT reduce the errant button presses from 15 or 20 times down to maybe 5 times repeated. I have heard of a UHF antenna extension but I don't even know how I would set that up. The 922 is already almost on top of a bookshelf as close to the ceiling as I can get it.

Whoever did these remotes was smoking dope and did no testing whatsoever.

Get a few feet of coax and a barrel connector and move the antenna around some till you find the sweet spot.
Or if you have 2 two way splitters and a few short pieces of coax I can post a picture/diagram of how to move the remote antenna to one of the upstairs TV's...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: vcsatellite
Our short antenna got broken on the Hopper so I attached one like this (you only need to "loop" antenna):
gHlOjX

If I remember correctly, the threads on the remote antenna has a different thread than the standard barrel connector. A push on connector may be needed for a coax extension.

Reactions: vcsatellite
If I remember correctly, the threads on the remote antenna has a different thread than the standard barrel connector. A push on connector may be needed for a coax extension.
A regular barrel connector should be fine. That is all a tech is going to use, if he has to backfeed the antenna to a TV2 location for whatever reason.

Any regular coax connector should be fine. A tech can use the connectors they have to backfeed the remote antenna to the TV2 location for whatever reason.

I remember people saying that and I had a push-on connector as a back-up, but it wasn't needed. And no, I didn't cross-thread the connectors either....

The threads on the remote antenna are a standard F-connector type. First thing is to make sure the remote antenna standing straight up and did not fall on it's side. And all the BS about interference aside, make sure there is no attenuator stuck on it. In nine years and thousand of installs and service calls, I have never seen an attenuator solve an 'interference' problem. The suggestion of using as short piece of coax usually fixes 95% of UHF remote problems. The suggestion of using two splitters to move the antenna to remote location I have had work up to 500ft away in another building!

Reactions: ChadT41
The threads on the remote antenna are different. I have a picture to back this up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iqhv547psk5svo/CoaxThreads.jpg?dl=0

I remember with the 501 the threads used to be regular. Also, the provided antenna was just a straight metal wire. As an experiment once I hooked up some rabbit ears and I was able to extend the range.

The 922 (and probably the Hopper) uses weird threads for the antenna, and the antenna is covered in plastic.

But it looks like I could override the threads with a push on connector, that I could then rig up to some kind of rabbit ears deal. If that's enough to resolve the interference then it works for me.

There is no attenuator on my setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)