Moving. Old Dish found new Dish at New home, can I use it?

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
I moved. I am using dish mover, and someone will be here in a couple days to get me hooked up. But, when I got to the new house I found a dish. The wiring isn't clear, and the dish looked newer than mine. My old setup I believe was a Dish 1000 with a DP34 feeding a 622, and a 510, and a 501.

Giving it a shot I plugged the 622 in to a port in the wall. No joy, check switch didn't find anything to check. I find a cable that looks newer that isn't in the wall and has a blue compression connector on it. I hook that up to the 2nd tuner port and check switch work son that one, still nothing on tuner two. It says it found a 1K4 switch.

Thinking that sounds new, I find a box with my dish stuff in it which includes a DishPlus seperater and hook that up to the single line and feed the outputs to the tuner 1 and 2 ports. Yahtzee. I get a completed check switch and after a front panel reboot and another check switch it is working.

The question.... Do I dare connect my 501 or 510 to any of the other jacks I find in the house, or is there an adapter I need in front of any of that for these older receivers?

PS. This dish is picking up the Eastern Arc , my prior dish was pointing at 110 and 119.

So maybe a re-point. Can the 1k4 dish point for me to work with my 501/510? (assuming line of sight). Otherwise I could be talked into an upgrade to a 722k, dumping the 501 and 510.

If there is a line of sight, they could put a 1k.4 western arc lnb on which would see 119/110/129, if no los for western arc dish should upgrade you to compatible receivers.

Hey Mike, just thought I would chime in here. Since you have a dish that is working, you may want to look into a WHUP'd promo. Whole-Home Upgrade! Rather then the mover, this may benefit you more. If you would like, PM me a phone number or account number and I can see what there is to see, and let you know what you qualify for.

BAM! Done. I did call Dish after I read hear that the 501 and 510 wouldn't like the current pointing of the dish. They said I could upgrade and do the move (at no charge with new commitment) but they would have to cut a new order, which would likely mean I would need to reschedule the date. Didn't want to do that, so I just did the dish mover, and I'll call and get the upgrade later, perhaps next month when the snow is all melted and ground isn't so soft. (I am currently under no commitments)

Dish van with a gentleman doing installs for over 4 years took care of re-pointing the dish. He was at my new home for about 2 hours, tracking down what wires would go to the locations I needed signal today, and then changing out the LNB and re-pointing the dish for 110/119.

Once I'm in the house a bit longer I'll wire up my OTA antenna, get a few diplexers, then get an upgrade on the receivers and maybe add one more. That should have me with my 622, a 722K with OTA module, and a 211k. For the 211k, another coax run will be necessary as that room currently has zero coax jacks and will be paid for by my son.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)