My 211 DVR function is activated

The way the 211 accesses the EHD is completely different from the way the 622/722 do. The 211 is constantly buffering data to and from the EHD, whereas the 622/722 only read/write the EHD when you order it to play or transfer a program.

It appears that the 211 will keep the EHD awake unless it goes into standby, maybe even then.

Dish engineers might look at adding the buffering to the EHD on the 622/722 to alleviate the EHD sleep problem and maybe, just maybe enable direct writing of data to the EHD, skipping the transfer process completely. Of course this would take a little space from storage on the EHD, but it would be trivial.
If by standby you mean with the 211 off but still powered (in other words, you don't have a particular TV show on, but you're still getting the screen saver on your monitor), then that's the state my unit was in last night and the drive stayed out of sleep mode.

I believe you are correct about the data buffering. My EHD shows a constant level of activity even when I'm not using the DVR function.

Hi, I have just connected a Seagate FreeAgent to my 211k and gone through the whole activation process. I got the activated then format popups a reboot and I now have DVR functions, cool :).
I was concerned about the Segate drive sleep issue that I keep hearing about so after activating I connected to my Win XP machine and used the Seagate software to disable the sleep mode. Well it would appear that the 211k already handles this as it was disabled. Just to check, I enabled it and connected back to the 211k. I got the popup saying it needed to reboot and pressed yes to reboot. When the box came up again I pulled out the drive and connected to my pc again. The sleep mode had been disabled. Looks like they have fixed that issue then. Now I want that on my 622 as it is a real pain with the archive drive.

Anyone confirm the 750GB drive limit? I see a 1TB Buffalo USB 2.0 drive on sale for $139.99 at Fry's this weekend.
It might not work but hopefully someone will try before you spend the money. The reason I say this is because I tried a 30gig drive and after it performed the test to see if it qualified, it came back with a message that the drive did not qualify as it had to be 50 to 750gigs. If it rejects for the lower end it might for the upper end too.:confused:

Just an update: my 211 DVR was fine this morning. So, it might have been a funny once. It was also fine while I was at work with the 211 "inactive", firing up to record Smallville last night. :up

Thank you, Dish!

Just placed my order for the Western Digital 500 GB My Book Essential 2.0 - USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDH1U5000N. :) From what I have read this EHD seems very reliable. Is anyone using this model now and having sleep mode issues ?

Just placed my order for the Western Digital 500 GB My Book Essential 2.0 - USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDH1U5000N. :) From what I have read this EHD seems very reliable. Is anyone using this model now and having sleep mode issues ?

You'll be the first one - don't forget to post your experience.

[Actually, I'm using Search before ask, many times ppl already answered my questions.]

Update on the Seagate 500gb FreeAgent EHD that I posted about earlier...

No problems at all today. Still works like a charm. Did not seem to go into any sleep mode or disable in any way overnight. I also have been feeling it for heat and it's definitely warm but not hot in any way. Good deal for $89+ tax!

Jay

I have two of these models. One hooked to my 722 and the other hooked to my 211. Both work fine. No problems. Of couse the 211 one has only been hooked up since Nov 19th. But my 722 has not had any problem with the other WD 500 gb hard drive and I have been using it since they came out with the ext hard drive use with no problems. I do not know if it sleeps or not, but the little round light never goes off, unless I unplug the drive from the 722.

I have two of these models. One hooked to my 722 and the other hooked to my 211. Both work fine. No problems. Of couse the 211 one has only been hooked up since Nov 19th. But my 722 has not had any problem with the other WD 500 gb hard drive and I have been using it since they came out with the ext hard drive use with no problems. I do not know if it sleeps or not, but the little round light never goes off, unless I unplug the drive from the 722.

thanks for the info :)

you have no issues then with the EHD and the 722? you can access your programs and manage the device even after a few days of inactivity? that's the problem i have with the maxtor - i need to turn it on/off to get it to work properly if it sits for a while- goes to sleep i guess!

Put another one of my homemade EHD on my son's 211. The receiver picked it up, formatted and works like a charm.

Centre Zdisc enclosure + 300gb Maxtor EIDE drive. Cost me about $35 bucks 11 months ago.

you have no issues then with the EHD and the 722? you can access your programs and manage the device even after a few days of inactivity? that's the problem i have with the maxtor - i need to turn it on/off to get it to work properly if it sits for a while- goes to sleep i guess!

My WD My BooK Essentials work fine with both unit. I have never had any problems accessing the ext hard drive from my 722. I was using both hard drives with the 722 until the 211 software became available. I unplugged one and plugged the other in when needed, but neither one ever needed to be turned off/on to get it to work. Anytime I went to my media in the menu, the drive opened up immediately without a hitch. But, I never had that many programs stored on the one unit. I mostly used just one of them. When the 211 software became available, I transfered the programs back to the 722 and then transfered them to the other ext hard drive without a problem before reformatting the 211 ext hard drive.

My WD My BooK Essentials work fine with both unit. I have never had any problems accessing the ext hard drive from my 722. I was using both hard drives with the 722 until the 211 software became available. I unplugged one and plugged the other in when needed, but neither one ever needed to be turned off/on to get it to work. Anytime I went to my media in the menu, the drive opened up immediately without a hitch. But, I never had that many programs stored on the one unit. I mostly used just one of them. When the 211 software became available, I transfered the programs back to the 722 and then transfered them to the other ext hard drive without a problem before reformatting the 211 ext hard drive.

thanks for the additional info- i guess some of these EHD go to sleep - my maxtor included- i want to be sure i don't make the same mistake when buying one for the 211

Programming guide for OTA channels with 211 DVR?

I was wondering, does the enabling of the DVR function on the 211 give you a programming guide for OTA channels if you do not subscribe to locals? I noticed on Foxbat's photos that OTA channels had a programming guide for them.

I know that the guide does show for OTA channels if you subscribe to locals. I don't subscribe to locals so all I get on my 211 is "Digital Service" without programming info.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

So are we 100% sure this works on the vip211k? I sure hope so b/c the installer is here right now and I told him to put the 211 in the bedroom and put the 722 tv2 to the kitchen.

If we can't record on an external HDD in the bedroom, my fiancee will kill me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts